Rankins 5 sacks in the last 6 games (1 Viewer)

Impossible. PFF tells me he’s only the 34th highest graded player at the position.

On pace for 10 sacks, rounding up. That’s excellent for a 3-technique.

A few weeks ago I referred to him as a poor man's Aaron Donald and I meant that in the most complimentary sense.

Donald, however, is on his own level. No one else comes close right now.

Beast mode.

He’s developed this new move I’ve never seen him use before. He waits. Instead of blasting off the line, he waits, then he gives a shimmy and bulldozes the OL 5-10 yards back on skates. Or, he waits, the OL tries to help double Cam and Rankins runs right by him. It’s awesome.

10-11 sacks is Aaron Donald level, except this year. I think having Suh next to you probably helps.

10-11 sacks is Aaron Donald level, except this year. I think having Suh next to you probably helps.

Suh is trash dude has been stealing money, we dodged a bullet by not signing him. Teams still double Donald at a 70% rate.

Beast mode.

He’s developed this new move I’ve never seen him use before. He waits. Instead of blasting off the line, he waits, then he gives a shimmy and bulldozes the OL 5-10 yards back on skates. Or, he waits, the OL tries to help double Cam and Rankins runs right by him. It’s awesome.

I saw the same thing watching a college game tonight. A DE just hesitated and stopped like he wasn't coming, so the OT relaxed just for a second, and then BAM, the DE grabbed and jerked him, exploding by him to make a sack. Sounds exactly like what you describe Rankins doing. Sort of a delayed rush. I've seen LB'ers do it before, but I haven't seen many Defensive Linemen do it before.

Donald, however, is on his own level. No one else comes close right now.

It helps Donald this year that he plays 6 games against the Seahwks, 49ers, amd Cardinals. Over half of his 14.5 sacks (7.5) came from only 3 games - the Seahwaks twice and the 49ers once.

And he still has a game left against the 49ers and the Cardinals.

Is it possible to ban PFF references on here. We all know they are idiots. How can you grade a player if you don’t know the play all.

Yeah, a quick glance shows PFF says we have the #1 rated QB, the #1 WR, the #1 & #5 OT, etc......I could go on, but yeah, I see your point, they are idiots and we should ban them. :emri99:

they are idiots and we should ban them.

Actually IMO they are. The fact that they have #1 grades on some Saints players who may very well be playing on the best offense of all time is Captain Obvious. The truth is that their methodology sucks, their analysts suck even more, their grading is inconsistent, and they also use a "sum of the parts" method to rank O Line which is a stupid method for a unit that must work together and is often better or worse than the sum of its parts (or players).

You look and see what the play was?

What he's referencing is the guy at PFF grading the play doesn't know what the scheme assignment was. Example, a LB makes a clean rush between the C and G to get a sack. The guy watching the video doesn't know if the C or G was supposed to pick him up, yet he gives a bad grade to one of them, usually just based on who he thought was closer. In reality, it could have been the C was supposed to shift over, but didn't. The guy watching doesn't know that so the wrong player gets dinged.

They've come up with some pretty funky numbers in games and for the overall season this year. It's starting to bubble up in the media that their grades usually don't mean a whole lot. Just last week the Saints O line didn't even crack their top 5 lines in the league, which most would regard as laughable.

Like any stat, PFF can be useful as a baseline to start a conversation, but their rankings aren't bulletproof or even reflective of reality depending on the circumstance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom