Saints Rankins essentially tore his other achilles?!? [Not Torn -preventative maintenence] (1 Viewer)

Saint Taysom

MultiTool Tool
Reaction score
This is a report from Rotoworld citing Underhill as the source. Rankins coming back from what basically equates to tearing both achilles in consecutive years is a major blow. I realize he is entering the final year of his contract, but he will likely not be “himself” next season... and then he is a FA. The Saints could save $8M if they release him now (or thereabouts). What’s the play?

D94870AB-2F8B-4C0C-AA58-D016D9B4AF5D.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think what they’re saying is his injury this last season was a partial tear and instead of letting it heal naturally (which could lead to an entire rupture), they decided to undergo surgery late last year and repair the whole tendon.

I’m in no way a doctor but that’s my understanding of how it’s worded.

This is a report from Rotoworld citing Underhill as the source. Rankins coming back from what basically equates to tearing both achilles in consecutive years is a major blow. I realize he is entering the final year of his contract, but he will likely not be “himself” next season... and then he is a FA. The Saints could save $8M if they release him now (or thereabouts). What’s the play?

D94870AB-2F8B-4C0C-AA58-D016D9B4AF5D.jpeg

What you interpreted the report to say and what it actually said are not the same thing.

I'm struggling to remember his injury history. Didn't he fracture his leg or something and tear an ACL? There haven't been two ACL injuries have there?

Man, it is amazing to me how we can’t seem to keep our DL together b/c of health during the Brees/Payton era. This kid was suppose to be great/the answer on so many levels. Now Davenport may go down the same road as him. Neither had health issues before coming to us but look at them now. What is that about? Why has Cam Jordan been the only viable player on our line for the last seven years or so?

I'm struggling to remember his injury history. Didn't he fracture his leg or something and tear an ACL? There haven't been two ACL injuries have there?

Yeah he has fractured his tibia, which is okay bc bone is the only thing in the body that heals 100 percent.

In consecutive years now he has tore both his Achilles.

A torn Achilles is the hardest injury to come back from in professional sports. See DeMarcus "Boogie" Cousins. He hasn't been the same since. Especially for a big guy.

Being how Rankins has torn both of them, it's not looking good that he could ever return to his 2018 Form.

It's possible, but I would give it a 50/50 chance.

It's just harder on a big guy, then it is on a smaller guy.

I know he is a hard worker, and if any big guy can do it, Rankins can. It also helps that he will be able to participate from the beginning. That is if all this Coronavirus stuff doesnt delay the season.

I imagine that's why they made it a priority to sign Onyemata this offseason.

This potentially could be Rankins last year in NOLA

I think what they’re saying is his injury this last season was a partial tear and instead of letting it heal naturally (which could lead to an entire rupture), they decided to undergo surgery late last year and repair the whole tendon.

I’m in no way a doctor but that’s my understanding of how it’s worded.

That sounds correct, but if that’s the case... then basically he had the surgery for a ruptured achilles. Which would mean he’s recovering from achilles surgery again

Sounds like it wasn't as major this time. If he is going to be ready by camp, I don't think there is reason to make a hasty decision.

If I had to guess he probably had one of two things: 1) a partial achilles tear, or 2) achilles tendinopathy. #2 is much more common that #1. Achilles tears are usually all or nothing...much like ACL tears. He could have had a less invasive procedure to get rid of calcifications in the tendon. Either way...this isn't looking good. It is not uncommon for players to lose explosiveness after achilles injuries. Rankins never struck me as an incredibly twitchy player in the first place. He could still be a productive pro in the league, but expectations that he will ever be a difference making pass rusher are slowly twirling down the commode right now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom