Rankins (1 Viewer)

LUX

Ride til I die!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Mike Triplett ESPN Staff Writer
Sean Payton said the Saints will "see how the week goes" before deciding if rookie DT Sheldon Rankins will be activated from injured reserve. This is the first week Rankins is eligible to play after he began practicing two weeks ago. Payton said Rankins' progress has been good, now more than two months removed from a broken fibula.

Hopefully he will be ready. I'm excited he is eligible to play. I'm ready to see a fully healthy defense for a change!

I know some want to wait out because of the 49ers, but I hope he is active to get some game experience and get in rhythm.

Getting Breaux and Rankins back will be huge for our defense. No telling how good we can be. Even Moore will be a big help if he comes back I don't remember his injury situation. Hopefully Ellerbe was nothing serious and just wanted to prevent something worse because he would be a huge addition to an already solid LB group. This defense just healthy next year without the addition of anyone is a good one IMO. With a decent draft and a couple of stud FAs can make us a great group. We will also have improvement from a lot of young players and another year of DAs defense. I really believe we have a very good chance at being a top 10 defense next season. With Rankins and others coming back we can get that started and continue to show improvement throughout this season.

Can't wait to see him play. Seeing him manhandle our O linemen in those Vines in TC made us think we had the worst line in the league. Then they turn out pretty good..

Getting Breaux and Rankins back will be huge for our defense. No telling how good we can be. Even Moore will be a big help if he comes back I don't remember his injury situation. Hopefully Ellerbe was nothing serious and just wanted to prevent something worse because he would be a huge addition to an already solid LB group. This defense just healthy next year without the addition of anyone is a good one IMO. With a decent draft and a couple of stud FAs can make us a great group. We will also have improvement from a lot of young players and another year of DAs defense. I really believe we have a very good chance at being a top 10 defense next season. With Rankins and others coming back we can get that started and continue to show improvement throughout this season.
Exactly.

Our D has played outstanding of late. They tend to have breakdowns towards the end of games. I think that is due to the lack of depth these injuries cause. Like when the Seakawks just started marching down at the end of the game. Moving at will. Something the defense didn't let them do all game. Two more pairs of legs in the secondary in Moore and Breaux and another on the DL in Rankins and I'm hoping we stop seeing that.

It's like watching a REALLY great and deep college team. You don't often see them dominate until the 4th qtr when the other team is getting gassed and don't have the depth to keep up. Well. It's not like that. It's the exact opposite. But once we get these guys back, hopefully we'll be consistent throughout the game.

If PJ Williams and Swann can comeback healthy next year our CB's will be awesome. All we really need now is two pass rushers and this defense will be very good.

My opinion, he has been at practice for two weeks so I'm almost certain, he will be suited up and ready to play. How much playing time he gets, depends on SP. I do hope to see him on at least 15-20% of defensive snaps. They probably want to ease him in, but not overwork him.

If PJ Williams and Swann can comeback healthy next year our CB's will be awesome. All we really need now is two pass rushers and this defense will be very good.

We really only need 1 pass rusher to bookend opposite Cam Jordan and we'll be fine. That way they simply cant focus on him

The biggest need in my opinion is some fast young LBs.

That's the crucial position in stopping edge runs.....even when we hold the edge we aren't getting our LBs there fast enough at times.

CB is OK, even without PJ and Swann, which we really don't know about either, especially PJ.

Breaux, Moore, Webb and Crawley and definitely good enough to win.

Heres why I'm not tempering my expectations with Rankins

Saints taking wait-and-see approach before activating rookie Sheldon Rankins | Saints | theadvocate.com

Add Nate Stupar to the list of players, coaches, and Media that have sang his praises during the TC/Pre-Season
"He was a big-time player during camp," linebacker Nate Stupar said. "You can really tell his skill set, just watching film. I can tell you that we're all excited to get him back. He should come back soon now, so we're excited to have him back and have him contribute."

Sean Payton has said similar things, Cam Jordan, Nick Fairley had a quote or two, Brees talked about what type of player he was, Stupar, Bobby/Deke have an article on him, also Mike D. Brady talked him up after the INT in practice. The Olineman he's gone against talked him up. The praise hasn't stopped and its not just cooler talk.

We didn't see him play much in Pre-Season but we also didn't see much in the TC practices but the coaches/players have been watching Tape since that time and have seen what we haven't really had the pleasure of seeing.

Yeah I see him eased back in to get back into it. I'm not expecting a huge amount for a couple of weeks until he really gets his confidence and conditioning back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I see him eased back in to get back into it. I'm not expecting a huge amount for a couple of weeks until he really gets his confidence and conditioning back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this...and to a degree you have a point IF for him at this point its a Mental thing.

However, he was doing the things to be a starter Day 1 in camp as a rookie. His confidence and ability were already where they needed to be to be considered the starter over Fairley.

If he's 100% healed even in limited snaps I think he'll have a noticeable impact. Though I guess also to a degree guys have gotten better as the season progressed and he's been stagnant but man...he was already beating guys that had a good amount of experience in the NFL early in camp. I mean BEATING them....I don't expect there to be too much rust or a transition period.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom