Rap Gods (1 Viewer)

Perhaps I was the wrong person to start this thread.

Someone needed to.

I don't know half the artists you are mentioning.

But it gives me new music to try.

So I win again.

Just about everything posted I'm on board with

I've been checking out more obscure stuff lately. Lil Dicky is great for a laugh, I like Logic, Watsky has damn good flow and can be pretty deep. NF started off as an Eminem clone, but has really found his way, and as someone battling depression and anxiety, I probably just really relate to it more than most.

I really haven't listened to much rap lately. My picks show it. :covri:

LL Cool J - I'm bad - was my favorite. Also liked Mama said knock you out. Lol.
MC Hammer - yeah, I know, not really rap :hihi:
Fresh Prince - see MC Hammer, heh
Run DMC
Beastie Boys

And no...Vanilla Ice didn't count. Not then, not now.

I really haven't listened to much rap lately. My picks show it. :covri:

LL Cool J - I'm bad - was my favorite. Also liked Mama said knock you out. Lol.
MC Hammer - yeah, I know, not really rap :hihi:
Fresh Prince - see MC Hammer, heh
Run DMC
Beastie Boys

And no...Vanilla Ice didn't count. Not then, not now.

I'm weak on rap.

But you are a grade school level.

Sorry, Dave.

I should have saved that for another thread.

Think I'll leave this thread to the experts now.

i played the **** out of how you like me now
but it's kinda stuck in amber for me - haven't carried him forward like the others (run dmc is similar)

I'm with you. But dang if it wasn't cool that these two went at each other, lyrically, and not a single verse of foul language.

I still listen to DMC from time to time, but mainly stuff from King of Rock.

Page 2 and no Outkast? I saw Big Boi and Andre but this is my favorite rap act. Together I have to consider them. My tops. By a fair bit.

immortal technique
MF Doom
Kanye is a GOAT consideration

I think most everyone else I would list has been mentioned.

but maybe there’s some new flavor folks could add to. Maybe not gods yet. But demigods? Or something?

like Travis Scott :yes:

Last edited:
Perhaps I was the wrong person to start this thread.

Someone needed to.

I don't know half the artists you are mentioning.

But it gives me new music to try.

So I win again.

You may not like some of the earlier stuff here just because it was simpler times, with simple 808 beats and not as many layers to the music as you have today.

But if you enjoy lyrics, and can put urself in the mindset of mid 80s, it may work.

Works for me because I grew up on it. From public enemy, epmd, Kool g rap and polo, to mainstream run DMC, Eric B n rakim, De la Soul, and so many more to local Gregory D n Mannie fresh. Spent lots of time at Peaches on Gentilly and Elysian Feilds. Where they would have records playing all day long.

I have little affinity for much of today's rap but I think more from the aspect that I'm not 20 but 49, and can't pick up the references like youth can. (or like when I was 18). And I got more into the musical part (beats and layers)

Give me an 808 drum line on a loop and I can veg out for hours.

Page 2 and no Outkast? I saw Big Boi and Andre but this is my favorite rap act. Together I have to consider them. My tops. By a fair bit.

immortal technique
MF Doom
Kanye is a GOAT consideration

I think most everyone else I would list has been mentioned.

but maybe there’s some new flavor folks could add to. Maybe not gods yet. But demigods? Or something?

like Travis Scott :yes:

Outkast... Maybe cuz Atlanta?? Lol

I know when I was much younger I wouldn't give them props because I couldn't stand Atlanta. For real. But privately loved their early stuff.

Loved Atliens.

You may not like some of the earlier stuff here just because it was simpler times, with simple 808 beats and not as many layers to the music as you have today.

But if you enjoy lyrics, and can put urself in the mindset of mid 80s, it may work.

Works for me because I grew up on it. From public enemy, epmd, Kool g rap and polo, to mainstream run DMC, Eric B n rakim, De la Soul, and so many more to local Gregory D n Mannie fresh. Spent lots of time at Peaches on Gentilly and Elysian Feilds. Where they would have records playing all day long.

I have little affinity for much of today's rap but I think more from the aspect that I'm not 20 but 49, and can't pick up the references like youth can. (or like when I was 18). And I got more into the musical part (beats and layers)

More of a rock person.

But I like 2Pac because he was such an enigma.

In the song I posted, he is telling his friend "I love you" and "fork you" at the same time.

And Eminem is just a machine gun. I don't know how he does that without taking a breathe.

I’ll also add a couple of things here.

when I teach poetry and versification, I always show this video:

It shows how rap uses the same meters as other types of poetry, including Shakespeare, and provides a short historical overview of how it evolved from the early days and each major iteration changed.

they also curated a good Spotify playlist that you might like if the video above appealed to you.

regardless, I think people who Don’t listen to much rap end up with a better appreciation of what these artists are actually capable of.

Here’s the Spotify playlist

Gotta mention Kurupt, a little bit older and more obscure than most of this thread. This song is where this screen name came from:

I'm also a huge DMX fan, even though I recognize that he's nowhere near the top in terms of pure talent. My gym mix is basically 80% DMX and 20% other stuff.

Ok Boomer

Gotta mention Kurupt, a little bit older and more obscure than most of this thread. This song is where this screen name came from:

eminem includes him in his

I got a list. Here’s the order of my list that it’s in. It goes Reggie, Jay-Z, Tupac, and Biggie. Andre from Outkast, JadA, Kurupt, Nas, and then me.

worthy inclusion for sure.

I thought the question was rappers - the individuals, not the acts. But yes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom