Rapoport: Saints Cutting John Jenkins Today [not claimed on waivers] (1 Viewer)

He may end up being one of those guys who bounce around for years until he gets older then puts it together. I guess we will see. Wish him the best and hope he can use this cut for motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But he won't -- I am pretty sure I have seen him specifically point to those picks as wasted picks.

So the pick we used for stills was cut and is currently not on the active roster and the main reason jimmy was traded, for a first round pick to use on helping the defense, is currently looking like one of the worse if not the worse 1st round pick that year. At best we can hope he becomes a 2 down player if he ever gets on the field again. Those are dime a dozen in this league. We coulda signed someone like Brandon spikes or Zach brown in the offseason for peanuts to fill that need as an example. Yea id say it was a total waste of picks...

I really feel like he never fully recovered from his upper body injury a few seasons back. Before it, he was pure brute force. Has never been the same.

He may end up being one of those guys who bounce around for years until he gets older then puts it together. I guess we will see. Wish him the best and hope he can use this cut for motivation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not unheard of for big DTs.

Don't think it was his weight. He always had leverage issues. 6'4 350lb men shouldn't be single blocked out of a rushing lane as often as he was. He was a waist bender thru and thru on top of tiring quickly and becoming less effective as games wore on.

He was also the last bad egg missing from the previous drafts/defensive confusion. We've been Drafting for this style of D since last year and I think we saw enough out of our top 4DTs to warrant the cut.

We shouldn't be arguing about this. You can only make that cut if you have an adequate or better replacement. Same with Laurinitis. Means some good moves are being made..better than being forced to sit thru browner for 16 games cuz there was nothing better
Excellent point.

Looked pretty damn good Sunday. :hihi:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FRggN3aAg80" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He looked like Leonard Fournette on that play

Your the number one person defending our drafts. Yet with a top 5 all time qb it's been losing season after losing season. Guess what, it's not because our drafts have been good....

And yup I said Fairly would be good to great this year, which he has. Said our def ends would not be good enough to get a pass rush, which even with the signing of Kruger, they haven't. Which is why I said we should have traded for Chandler Jones, who btw is the second highest graded edge defender at the moment behind only Von Miller. And I also was not impressed at all with our offense line well before the preseason when they struggled. I have been wrong about that but only because nobody could have predicted Jahri Evans finding the fountain of youth after Seattle cutting him.

Guess not everyone can throw out gems and be right that Kenny stills was one of the best 5th rounds picks in nfl history....

you're

I think he was let go mostly because Rankins played good enough this week. That means Jenkins would have stayed on the sideline baring any new injury.

Now, honestly I don't think Davison is much better than Jenkins against the run... same for Oeyemata. Havent heard much of their names during run plays.

Fairley is the only DT that made an impact... Rankins will get more snaps during running downs and hopefully will do better than Jenkins and Davison.

Positive thing is that we have 3 young DT, I hope that means potential.

You say that as if you expect one player (the NT) to stop the run and everyone else rush the passer, its not Jenkins job to stop the run no more than it is Davison, the occupy gap control and take on the Center and Guard so players like Fairley, Rankins, Oeyemanta and get one on one matchups vs Guards and Jordan and Kruger get one on one matchups against Tackles...run defense is a collective effort and the way our defensive line has restructured we no longer need 350lb NT we are a penetrating line that uses gap control and intergrity to rush the passer and "DEFEND" the run.

You say that as if you expect one player (the NT) to stop the run and everyone else rush the passer, its not Jenkins job to stop the run no more than it is Davison, the occupy gap control and take on the Center and Guard so players like Fairley, Rankins, Oeyemanta and get one on one matchups vs Guards and Jordan and Kruger get one on one matchups against Tackles...run defense is a collective effort and the way our defensive line has restructured we no longer need 350lb NT we are a penetrating line that uses gap control and intergrity to rush the passer and "DEFEND" the run.

oh ok... well, it was not my intention.

I just think that appart from Fairley the other DT were not effective on run plays... Davison or Jenkins, whoever was in the game did not see much difference in our run D.

I hope Rankins can help out on run plays now that he is healthy. As you said, we are moving towards : a penetrating line that uses gap control and intergrity to rush the passer and "DEFEND" the run

It's sad to see someone like Jenkins who showed so much promise and potential until he got injured and then never came back around. His play has been very inconsistent the past couple years. But if you don't improve and step up you can't play. I really hope the light comes on for this young man. Good luck Big John.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom