Rapoport: Saints talking about trading Malcom Brown (1 Viewer)

That would suck. He is such an integral part of our run D.

I get that thinking. But his cap number really isn’t that bad if he’s really that important. So maybe our coaches don’t view him as quite the impact player that we do?

There’s a lot we don’t know. If they think it’s worth moving on and we can get something, then great.

Desperately drafting a DT to fill a need has been utter disaster for the Saints in the past

Exactly. Even the DTs the Saints hit on have taken a few years to blossom. Most of these big dudes need a few years in a NFL S&C program before they are ready to contribute in a big way.

Someone mentioned Shelvin from LSU and he's probably going to be an example of this. Take the bad weight off, put some good weight on, get his stamina up, and he could be a good early down piece. But I don't know if he's an instant impact guy.

That run defense keeps those apposing offenses in third and long so that pass rush and get to the QB. Run Defense and Rushing Offense will ALWAYS be a premium its the basis for an effective defense or offense.

lol cool but the team seems to think like me since they are prioritizing secondary (Marcus Williams) over run defense (Malcolm Brown)since one is being labeled a priority keep and the other is a potential cut and or trade bait.

Dont have to take my opinion on it...just follow the news.

You pass 60% of the time in the league...pass defense is simply more important. It’s also pretty obvious that this team rather replace NT with a rookie than FS with a rookie. That again points to a preference. Nonetheless I digress

Be well :)

Last edited:
lol cool but the team seems to think like me since they are prioritizing secondary (Marcus Williams) over run defense (Malcolm Brown)since won is being labeled a priority keep and the other is a potential cut and or trade bait.

Dont have to take my opinion on it...just follow the news. You pass 60% of the time in the league...pass defense is simply more important

Yeah but if teams can run on you they rely less on the passing game. That percentage will flip real quick to about 55% run and 45% pass.

Yeah but if teams can run on you they rely less on the passing game. That percentage will flip real quick to about 55% run and 45% pass.
After they’ve scored enough points through the air

If teams know they can run on you, they will pound the rock on you all game long and will wear your defense out before halftime LOL.

Does that actually happen anymore? I honestly don’t see it. Maybe the Ravens and Titans, but they’re outliers.

Does that actually happen anymore? I honestly don’t see it. Maybe the Ravens and Titans, but they’re outliers.
Did you forget what happened while Brown was out for a few games. Teams ran the ball more when they found that our run defense wasn't quite as good. Remember the Philly game. OMG I don't want to see that happen again.

Did you forget what happened while Brown was out for a few games. Teams ran the ball more when they found that our run defense wasn't quite as good. Remember the Philly game. OMG I don't want to see that happen again.

Sure. But if he’s that important, they wouldn’t be willing to let him leave when his cap hit isn’t that big.

I’d say they’re confident there were other issues at play in those games. I know for a fact LB fits were bad against the run.

The Saints gave up two 100 yard rushers that day. I don't know if Brown would've made that much of a difference because they were killing us on outside runs.

But yeah, that game was a reminder of teams of yesteryear that simply could not stop the run. It's such an awful feeling to watch your team get dominated like that. Under DA our run defenses have been solid to elite. With or without Brown I think they'll continue to play well against the run. The DL depth is there, we just need a few LBers who are fast and good at football.

Having a great run defense in the era of passing doesn't have the same oomph as it used to because 3rd and long is no longer the tall order it once was. We won the 2009 SB because of a special pass defense.
Not special...Most OPPORTUNISTIC in recent NFL history, yes.

They just restructured Onyemata's deal which saves about $4M. Maybe they did that to help keep the interior rotation together.

They just restructured Onyemata's deal which saves about $4M. Maybe they did that to help keep the interior rotation together.
If they extend Brown... whose only 27... Is still very much in his prime. I know they want the young guys to step up, but he's so cheap at 5 million.

lol cool but the team seems to think like me since they are prioritizing secondary (Marcus Williams) over run defense (Malcolm Brown)since one is being labeled a priority keep and the other is a potential cut and or trade bait.

Dont have to take my opinion on it...just follow the news.

You pass 60% of the time in the league...pass defense is simply more important. It’s also pretty obvious that this team rather replace NT with a rookie than FS with a rookie. That again points to a preference. Nonetheless I digress

I agree teams value the backend more than they ever have, but stopping the run is still central to a good defense. It seems like the Saints have struggled more to find a complete package at FS, a lot more than they have struggled to find a lot of solid rotational guys on the DL.

Maybe Payton and Loomis think it will be easier to keep hitting on mid round, late round, and UDFA defensive tackles and let Brown walk than it would be to let Williams leave and try to find another everydown FS they like.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom