RAS Relative Athletic Score - Did the Saints give more attention to RAS this year (1 Viewer)

Ihartsaints

Very Banned
Reaction score
Listening to the Saint's Happy Hour PodCast there seemed to be the suggestion that the Saints relied heavily on RAS score this year. Is this a thing or were the SHH crew just yanking my chain?

Payton's RAS profile

1620806741333.png

I think they had to try something. There was no consistent tape, practices were uneven, games moved and cancelled. Hard to get a true grasp of the player and their abilities since even tryouts and in person interviews were limited. Had to go by the best you have, and that seems to be what the Saints did

Man... I hate that Happy Hour podcast. A bunch of fanboyism/sensationalism with very little interesting factual insight. Every segment is either the worst of times or best of times then another one the annoying high pitched voices with terrible sound mixing reigns in the segment with one or two factual things that super common sense.

Man... I hate that Happy Hour podcast. A bunch of fanboyism/sensationalism with very little interesting factual insight. Every segment is either the worst of times or best of times then another one the annoying high pitched voices with terrible sound mixing reigns in the segment with one or two factual things that super common sense.
um ... some are probably members here
That said the attempt at being a local ‘barstool’ can get vexing
But for whatever reason the thing that annoyed me most was the guy comparing the QB rating with the metric system
- I know base 10 systems are not that confusing

Since Ireland joined the team they have always focused on guys with high RAS scores

The most significant trend to develop over the last five years (2015 was technically Ireland’s first draft with the team but he was hired in February and didn’t lead the year-long scouting process) is how the team’s draft picks stack up on the Relative Athletic Score scale. RAS is a metric that takes everything measured at the combine and pro days and assigns a score relative to the player’s position group.

New Orleans likes to draft great athletes in the first round. The only first-round pick since 2016 to score lower than a nine on the RAS scale is Sheldon Rankins, who finished with an 8.5. Cesar Ruiz (9.07), Marcus Davenport (9.66) and Marshon Lattimore (9.99) all scored very high. Ryan Ramczyk did not receive a grade since he was injured leading up to his draft, but it would be a shock if he weren’t a nine or better. Even in 2015, Stephone Anthony (9.91) and Andrus Peat (8.54) fit within these parameters.

Since Ireland joined the team they have always focused on guys with high RAS scores

The most significant trend to develop over the last five years (2015 was technically Ireland’s first draft with the team but he was hired in February and didn’t lead the year-long scouting process) is how the team’s draft picks stack up on the Relative Athletic Score scale. RAS is a metric that takes everything measured at the combine and pro days and assigns a score relative to the player’s position group.

New Orleans likes to draft great athletes in the first round. The only first-round pick since 2016 to score lower than a nine on the RAS scale is Sheldon Rankins, who finished with an 8.5. Cesar Ruiz (9.07), Marcus Davenport (9.66) and Marshon Lattimore (9.99) all scored very high. Ryan Ramczyk did not receive a grade since he was injured leading up to his draft, but it would be a shock if he weren’t a nine or better. Even in 2015, Stephone Anthony (9.91) and Andrus Peat (8.54) fit within these parameters.
Exactly, we've been using RAS for a handful of years.

More than likely the Saint's Happy Hour PodCast has just become aware of it, and that's why they are talking about it on their show.

When stephone anthony scores a 9.91/10 it’s time to adjust your scoring methods.
That’s what the interview process is for... Which our didn't get implemented till 2016. We was drafting with the old guard/methodology in 2015.

When stephone anthony scores a 9.91/10 it’s time to adjust your scoring methods.
I know you're doing a bit, but not really. It just measures raw athleticism. Nothing more. And Stephone Anthony was definitely a top tier athlete.

It's his ONLY saving grace. Because he had nothing going on upstairs. Which was a crying shame. If he had the mind of Luke Kuechley, he'd be a Hall of Fame candidate already.

Some guys like girls with big butts, while some like to talk and get to know them. Whatever floats your boat.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom