Rashard Mendenhall I believe is the key to the Saints trading down. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Simply looking at the draft order Denver (12), Carolina (13), Chicago (14), Detroit (15), and Arizona (16) all need a RB. Mendenhall is being projected to go between 7-15. If one of the two elite DT's are not on the board he is our best chance of getting down and picking up extra picks. I am almost willing to bet either us or the Bills (pick 11) will trade down to one of those teams if he is on the board when the Saints (or Bills) select.

Sorry if it has been brought up before but it is a slow day at work:9:

I like the idea, If we don't like Rivers enough to pick him. Same goes with Clady ( if he's there. Clady could bolster the RT or LT posisition depending on what Jamaal Brown does. Only problem, if we trade down, who do we pick. Rivers? an OT, Phillips? It would be a tough choice

Per Rotoworld the Panthers had him in for a workout and they are high on him? If roto can be trusted. Anyway, I agree with you I think he is one of the keys to us trading down.

I am not sold on the fact that we will want to trade down. No one really knows because the Saints are great at keeping it close to the vest but we may be high on one of the CB's because nothing is available in FA as of right now and a DT can be picked up later in the draft.

I believe if we trade back we would still have a shot at a top shelf CB (Cason, maybe even a Mike Jenkins)....... who really knows what will happen with Rivers after April 2nd I believe we will all have a better idea of what could take place with him come draft day. As of right now I think if we traded down I believe the Saints could still have a shot at him if they didn't trade bellow pick 15.

100's of scenarios could play out but it will all matter who is on the board and whether or not we are willing to lose out on someone by dropping back.

I am not sold on the fact that we will want to trade down. No one really knows because the Saints are great at keeping it close to the vest but we may be high on one of the CB's because nothing is available in FA as of right now and a DT can be picked up later in the draft.

Good point the Saints FO keeps things pretty tightly shut down when it comes to things leaking out. Just look at how they handle FA you hear nothing.....nothing.....nothing...... then bam a guy is signed or traded for and we never "Really" knew if he was in on a visit.

I was just saying if the guys they were targeting were not there then Mendenhall would be the best chance for the Saints to trade out.

anyone know why Jonathan Stewart seems to be sliding so much, personally I like him more than Mendenhall - is it the durability question with his ankles?

he recently had toe surgery..

anyone know why Jonathan Stewart seems to be sliding so much, personally I like him more than Mendenhall - is it the durability question with his ankles?

This is from rotoworld

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Oregon RB Jonathan Stewart underwent surgery on his big toe Wednesday. He'll be out four to six months.

If Stewart heals quickly, he'll have a chance to be ready before the start of training camp. Still, Stewart will miss all pre-camp work and his draft status will likely be affected severely. It's a somewhat similar situation to Adrian Peterson's in 2007, but Stewart doesn't have the same talent or upside. It wouldn't be a surprise to see him fall to round two.

I don't agree with him falling into round two but I think it will push him down into the 20's

Another thing to watch for is Dallas moving up to get Mendenhall because they have two first round picks, are looking to possibly trade up and Denver at #12 has several concerns along the front 7 that will be difficult for them to address without reaching. I expect Denver would love to move down to Dallas' picks where there is excellent value at DE (#22) and a couple DT's that would be around at 28.

Dallas is addressing the corner position with Pacman and this draft is deep with corners that they could pick again in the 2nd. Just another trade possibility to be watching for.

Even if we trade down to 12 - 16th, I think we'll still have a shot at a top notch LB/CB. IMO, that's about where most of them are projected anyway.

Still get the LB/CB you wanted anyway, and gain a pick doing it. Not a bad idea, unless the Saints want Mendenhall.:D

I started the same discussion yesterday but it is cool to continue with it:

Strong chances of the saints trading down? - SaintsReport Community Forums

Not only Mendenhall is the key, offensive tackle also is a need for all teams between 13 and 16, so if a team wants one, they need to call the bills or saints.

It will all depend on the saints board and if they consider they can get the same value by tradding down 4, 6 even 10 spots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom