Raspberry Pi 3 Projects (1 Viewer)

Heathen Saint

"Socially distanced"
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
So I just ordered the Pi3 from Amazon starter kit--includes 32 gb Samsung EVO SD card, bluetooth & wifi connectivity and all bare bones-necessary fixings.

My plan is to have a "smart hub" touchscreen display magnetized to my fridge w/ the pi itself sitting atop it. I want it to cover the following elements to start:

Weather: current temp, windspeed, humidity, pressure, etc.
Morning: automated coffeemaker, NPR player, alerts for weather/traffic trouble on my work route
My Dog: doggie bed warmer set to activate at or around 50F (he's spoiled...and old!) w/ temp gauge/switch, camera for near doghouse, automated feeder set for morning and evening
Delivery Notifications: I already get "delivered" notifs from Amazon on my packages, but i'd like to set up where I get a text message from my smarthub with a picture of my delivery sitting at my doorstep.

My Amazon Echo can cover lights, automation of A/C, TV etc. for now

Just a few things i'd like to work on and I want to add more. Should I just get started with the necessary building blocks for the hub and go from there? ETA: Like I said i have an echo and it will be really helpful for a lot of other purposes and may even cover some of these, but i'd like to learn to code/build/fix some of this home automation myself.

Feel free to share cool projects you're doing. I've spent like the last two weeks researching cool DIY pi projects lol.

I have a project that I want to develop but not with this wife around. Maybe by next Summer I'll be clear to move on it.

I got the idea from a guy on Reddit who did it but didn't share his code. I'm sure that he didn't want somebody to come to harm and then sue him or something.

He designed a device for edging.

He hooked up a heart rate monitor, and skin temp monitor.

Then he hooked up some "toys" that vibrate.

You place the "toys" where you want them and turn the device on. The device monitors changes in heart rate, pulse rate and skin temp. You need to record those rates when the "volunteer" reaches the "finish line."

Once you have enough data you should have a good idea about when to back off in order to avoid "finishing."

Once you have this you can program the device to handle those duties for you. You can program different patterns, and intensities. It seems like a fun project to work on. You know... for science.

Found the thread! Probably NSFW https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/..._raspberry_pi_what_do_you_use_it_for/ca7an5w/

I just built a retro gaming system with a Raspberry Pi 4.
I also built a Pihole ad blocker that seems to be working. No ads on SR.com when using it.

I have two of them with two seperate arcade images on the cards. The projects to me are as much fun as playing the games. Ibe been wanting to do another project on the second one like home security but haven’t reserved the time yet. I also hope they have a more powerful one coming out eventually that can better handle ps1 games or even ps2 if that is ever possible.

I really recommend the pihole project. You can run it on one of the really cheap pi zero devices, but it is recommended to use a USB ethernet adapter to go wired instead of using the wireless.

The next project I am looking at is a dashcam.

Ok, ordered another pi zero and a camera. I hear the hard part is getting it powered from the car without draining the battery or hosing the OS with dirty shutdowns.

I really recommend the pihole project. You can run it on one of the really cheap pi zero devices, but it is recommended to use a USB ethernet adapter to go wired instead of using the wireless.

The next project I am looking at is a dashcam.

Why not just buy a dashcam?

Why not just buy a dashcam?

Pi3 is a learning device. It was really created for kids in school. Computer programming these days doesn't involve much interfacing between hardware and software components so they created this device to give a complete learning experience. But besides the low cost, most people just find the projects themselves fun.

these are the two devices and online courses and resources are endless. You can build a complete arcade system that includes every game ever up to PS1. There are even projects that include building an old stand up arcade cabinet (the coolest one I saw was built with a mini fridge taking the space of the old coin operation area)

Last edited:
Pi3 is a learning device. It was really created for kids in school. Computer programming these days doesn't involve much interfacing between hardware and software components so they created this device to give a complete learning experience. But besides the low cost, most people just find the projects themselves fun.

these are the two devices and online courses and resources are endless. You can build a complete arcade system that includes every game ever up to PS1. There are even projects that include building an old stand up arcade cabinet (the coolest one I saw was built with a mini fridge taking the space of the old coin operation area)

Exactly, its not that I need a dash-cam and the Pi is the only way I can get it. Its more of, I like building with the pi and learning.

Have they announced plans for one with a cpu that can handle faster emulators yet. I would love to work on something that could handle through PS2. That would be a very useful system.

Have they announced plans for one with a cpu that can handle faster emulators yet. I would love to work on something that could handle through PS2. That would be a very useful system.
Top notch PC'S struggle with some emulators. Sometimes, there's no substitute for dedicated hardware.

Top notch PC'S struggle with some emulators. Sometimes, there's no substitute for dedicated hardware.

after I posted I was reading on on the Pi4. Interesting specs but no support from retro pie yet except through work arounds. There is a scaled down replacement with ps2 emulators in the works but nothing about a reasonable timeframe to see anything even remotely smooth. So I’ll wait On buying a new unit.

I've got one running a VPN server on my network using PiVPN (a version of OpenVPN for the Pi)

I have one running a dashboard at work on our TV that functions as our shop's leave/appointment calendar (along with a weather bug).

calendar.jpg

Finally, I've got one attached to my 3D printer running Octoprint.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom