Rate our current needs (1 Viewer)

After today's FA signings, our needs are pretty simple actually:

Not in any particular order

1. DT....let's hope and pray Ellis or Dorsey fall to us at #10.
2. CB....this draft is loaded with talent at this position
3. LB...too much talent in the draft to pass one up here
4. FS....might be able to pick one up through FA to displace Bullocks, but I don't see the FO doing anything with this position this off season.
5. QB...we need someone to backup Brees and I have a feeling Payton is licking his chops at this year's draft class for a late flyer
6. OL....we need help here and I'd like to see us go after one through FA in the Guard slot and pick up an OT in the later rounds to groom for backfill at Stinch's spot
7. TE....as mentioned earlier, we only have two on the roster. I like Troupe and would try to get one in the draft in the later rounds
8. WR....With D. Henderson on the board, Colston and Meachem and Copper....we could use a FA veteran here to fill in for leadership....B. Johnson or Patten here
9. RB....this is a good class and while we did resign Stecker, don't be surprised to see us select one on the second day of the draft....all depends on if one slides into the fifth round that were projecting higher. Otherwise, they'll pass.

So, our current needs are in FA:

1. TE....sign Troupe and be done with it
2. WR...sign B. Johnson or resign Patten and let's move forward
3. FS...be on the lookout for an upgrade over Bullocks...no one sticks out to me right now

If those things were to happen, our draft could look like this:

1. Ellis/Dorsey/DRC...whichever one is available in that order. If none are there, trade back as far into the first round as possible to load up on picks in the DT, CB and LB spots in the first three rounds. Could probably pick up a second or third and a second day pick to move back in the mid twenties...unless Dallas trades with us for McFadden....doubt he's still around at 10 though.
2. If Ellis or Dorsey are selected....go CB. If DRC is taken in the first, go LB. If we move back in the first, go with BPA
3. DT if we've got DRC and a LB in the first two.
4. Traded for Vilma
5. I see us going either O Lineman or WR here if we don't sign Patten or B. Johnson or if Henderson is used at trade bait to move up in round 1.
6. TE or RB or QB
7. Whichever was not taken in Round 5 and BPA of that position.

That would give us for new faces this year:

1. Vilma
2. Gay
3. McCray
4. Troupe
5. B. Johnson or Patten
6. DT...draftee
7. CB....draftee
8. LB...draftee
9. O Lineman...draftee
10. and two of these three positions...RB, QB, TE.

That would be 5 Veterans and 6 Draft picks for new players on the team. I could live with that very easily and it's less than 20% turnover...which is considered good for continuity!!

I like this breakdown. Thanks!

I hope we are not relying on more than 2 draftees to fill starting spots. That reeks of "one year away" to me. Hopefully another year in the system and improvements around them will make better players out of Usama, Bullocks, David, Shanle, and the Wideouts.

Also, remember we have Bushrod, Alleman, PT who all could emerge as starters at some point.

I wish we'd get a new RT. Stinchcomb gets beat more than anyone on our OL and doesn't offer much as a run blocker. Our sack numbers are the lowest in the league because of Drew Brees' pocket awareness and quick decision making, not because Stinchcomb is doing a good job. We can definitely do better at RT.

I think we're all forgetting Bushrod and Strief. I can't imagine we'd be ready to give up on both of them and draft another tackle when we already have two fairly promising young tackles on the roster.

DT
DT
CB
S
LB

sorry, right now i'm ignoring offense; as long as brees is healthy I want defense this off-season. Loomis will get Brees some toys but I'm not worried about it right now.

Top needs:

DT - we must upgrade the pass rush at this position.
CB - hard to see us going into the season with Gay and David starting.
WLB - need more out of this position, especially on pass rush
KR - haven't had much success since the Beerman left. This will take our #6 WR spot.
TE - need to sign Troupe and re-sign Miller.
#2 QB - sign Green please. Thanks Jamie for a great career, see ya. Not much on the roster past Brees.
S - could use better play here, but not desparate.
RB - Still need a big back to start w/ Reggie. Not sure Deuce is still that guy.
RT - could use an upgrade but not desparate here.

The plan:

Draft Ellis, Dorsey, Gholston, or Rivers at #10 (in that order of preference)
Draft a CB and OLB with 2nd and 3rd round picks.
Draft a KR/WR, RB and BPA in the 5th, 6th and 7th.
Sign Troupe, Green in FA.
Stay away from Balmer in the draft.

Combined with Vilma, Gay, and McCray that gives us a stronger roster across the board.

Top needs:

KR - haven't had much success since the Beerman left. This will take our #6 WR spot.

Draft a KR/WR, RB and BPA in the 5th, 6th and 7th.

This is one reason I wouldn't mind the CB McKelvin Leodis pick in the draft. Not my first choice but IMHO best among CBs.

Michael Boley

what about michael boley at wlb...i think he is a RFA but this guy would be an upgrade over shanle

Atlanta gave Boley a 1st round tender, so we'd have to give up a #1 if we signed him. He's going to be a good one, but not worth the #10 pick in the draft.

Cornerback is STILL our number one need. Lets not get crazy in thinking that Gay is our savior. He was a good pickup. Id like to get a #1 or 2 CB first.

CB- which is by far and away our largest position of need at this point. We would be going into the season with david has shown nothing of value and gay who is a fringe starter in this league. the wildcard here is young.

DT- yea, this is pretty solid need only because its a fairly strong DT class and having a top notch DT could allow us to run more complex defensive schemes and become a better pass rushing team.

OLB- we could use a playmaker at wlb. Shanle is very poor

TE- no one on the roster. Troupe has to be the go to guy here imo

WR- could use some better more consistent recievers, but that depends on what we get from the meach this year

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom