Rate These New Orleans Neighborhoods (1 Viewer)

it's "lower" b/c it's lower down river (ie closer to the gulf)

Not saying its right cause its on the Internet but...

"The Lower Garden District received its name from Samuel Wilson Jr. during a walking tour of the Louisiana Landmarks Society when he was asked by a reporter for its name. Due to its similarity in architecture ot the Garden District and being lower in social scale as well as in architecture, the name seemed to fit perfectly. The new name was officially published in Dixie magazine soon after. Later, in the book published by the Friends of the Cabildo in 1971, Wilson and partners defined what they considered to be the original limits of the District. Other limits have also been defined by the National Register for Historic Districts and the Local Historic District."

history

Not saying its right cause its on the Internet but...

"The Lower Garden District received its name from Samuel Wilson Jr. during a walking tour of the Louisiana Landmarks Society when he was asked by a reporter for its name. Due to its similarity in architecture ot the Garden District and being lower in social scale as well as in architecture, the name seemed to fit perfectly. The new name was officially published in Dixie magazine soon after. Later, in the book published by the Friends of the Cabildo in 1971, Wilson and partners defined what they considered to be the original limits of the District. Other limits have also been defined by the National Register for Historic Districts and the Local Historic District."

history

Interesting -- I had never heard of that, despite living in the LGD and being kinda involved in the preservation community in NOLA. I did some digging and Richard Campanella at least agrees with the story of Wilson naming the neighborhood, though he doesn't confirm the reasoning behind it. I also assumed it was "Lower" because it was downriver to the GD.

Kinda related -- it blew my mind when I realized that Lowerline was upriver of Upperline, and then learned that the two names aren't related.

Carrollton/Riverbend -- because even if money is no option, I hate moving more than pretty much everything. Maybe I would finally pimp out my awful 1950's kitchen.

"Uptown" is pretty vague. Central City is in "Uptown."

Kinda related -- it blew my mind when I realized that Lowerline was upriver of Upperline, and then learned that the two names aren't related.

Yep. Upperline was the upriver boundary of Faubourg Bouligny (later annexed into Jefferson City and then New Orleans) and Lowerline was the downriver boundary of the City of Carrollton (the original parish seat of Jefferson Parish, later annexed into New Orleans).

:historygasm:

I grew up in Gentilly as a child. I lived in Uptown pre-teen to well into adult. Each neighborhood has its gifts. All neighborhoods are special. Look to their gifts.

River Ridge--rest of 'em, nice places to visit

Garden District. I'm biased since I live there, but love the architecture and close to pretty much everything.

inspired by another thread currently on the EE.. so pretending for a moment that money isnt an object -- which of these Greater New Orleans areas would be most desirable to you (same size house wherever you choose) and why:

(rank your Top Three)

1) Uptown
2) Old Metairie
3) Algiers Point
4) French Quarter
5) English Turn
6) Warehouse District
7) Lakeview
8) Mid-City
9) Kennabrah (Chateau?)
10) Northshore
11) Other
12) Tacoes (i.e. Fat City)

... not gonna create a pole because im lazy.

If you're in your 30's with kids, it would be hard to find a better area than LV right now with everything going on in that area.

Personally, I love the mid-city area by City Park and Bayou St. John.

Uptown/Audobon area is nice if you work in the city. If you don't, commuting can be a pain in the tail.

Old Met. is a great area and very convenient, but is an older crowd. I wouldn't move there unless I was in my 50's or older.....unless I was buying near relatives.

I'd only consider the FQ if it were a 2nd residence unless you're child free and work in the city.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom