Ravens-Steelers game could be postponed if Ravens get more positive tests; how this affects the Saints (UPDATE: Moved to Sunday) (1 Viewer)

Saintsphere

1 day I'll add a second Lombardi to my pic. 1 day.
Reaction score

The NFL is no longer in position to reschedule bye weeks, so any postponed game-whether it's this game or any one in the future would mean the NFL has to either
1. Add a Week 18
2. Cancel the game and have a certain number of teams have an uneven number of games
3. If the NFL goes with option two, they have said they would likely add an 8th playoff team and NO team will have a bye for the playoffs.

This is obviously significant because if the NFL goes with these options, it will all but make the race for the #1 seed for naught unless Payton really doesn't want to travel in January. But taking away a bye from the #1 seed will effect how many teams navigate their schedule down the stretch. I would think if the 1 seed ends up having to play in the first week of the playoffs, Payton will not only be super cautious with Brees but he would be liable to hold out a lot of players for the Vikings game and the Panthers game. Especially if we have the NFC South sealed by then.

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
They would add a week 18 if necessary first and likely cancel the bye week before the Super Bowl.

Adding a week 18 would satisfy multiple teams who would need to play games if necessary.

The increased protocols yesterday were a smart way to mitigate spread and keep the need to reschedule games to a minimum.

Eeyore

Flucifer
Reaction score
Option 3 will happen if either the Bucs, Rams, or Packers are in danger of not making the playoffs. They might do it to sneak big market Chicago in there but they'd just embarrass themselves.

OP
Saintsphere

Saintsphere

1 day I'll add a second Lombardi to my pic. 1 day.
Reaction score
They would add a week 18 if necessary first and likely cancel the bye week before the Super Bowl.

Adding a week 18 would satisfy multiple teams who would need to play games if necessary.

The increased protocols yesterday were a smart way to mitigate spread and keep the need to reschedule games to a minimum.
If they add a Week 18 and remove the bye week before the Super Bowl, that would suck for us if we actually win the NFCCG and have to go straight into Super Bowl week but on the other hand, if we're the #1 seed and we do not need to play a Week 18 game, that would essentially give us 20-21 days of being off. Possibly 27 if Payton uses the Carolina game to sit key starters.

It's going to be very interesting how this all plays out. I'm hoping teams get super anal about their covid protocols as we enter the stretch run of the season.

Saint Spud

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If they add a Week 18 and remove the bye week before the Super Bowl, that would suck for us if we actually win the NFCCG and have to go straight into Super Bowl week but on the other hand, if we're the #1 seed and we do not need to play a Week 18 game, that would essentially give us 20-21 days of being off. Possibly 27 if Payton uses the Carolina game to sit key starters.

It's going to be very interesting how this all plays out. I'm hoping teams get super anal about their covid protocols as we enter the stretch run of the season.
Yeah, I’ve been really impressed by how flexible the NFL has been wrt adjusting protocols based on the science.

To me, taking away the bye before the super bowl would help a team like the Saints that has a really good coaching staff and a crazy genius like Payton who can install stuff quickly. Not to mention, if we play the Chiefs again, it would be beneficial since we could fall back on the game film from the earlier matchup.

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
Told you, the fix is in.

Led by our friend Mark Ingram of all people.

jayd265

Fleur de LEE
Reaction score
so as of now. that would mean

(8) bears @ (1) Saints
(7) cardinals @ (2) rams
(6) bucs @ (3) packers
(5) seahawks @ (4) eagles

and

(8) ravens @ (1) steelers
(7) Raiders @ (2) Chiefs
(6) browns @ (3) bills
(5) titans @ (4) colts

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
For the 1000000000th time.... NO! We are not players, so it’s doesn’t matter if we’re to look ahead 1 day, week, month, year, or decade.
Ok and your point

26ISTHEMAN

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
8 playoff teams is disgusting. That’s half the league in the playoffs.
That's where it's headed, I'm afraid. Look at the NBA - 16 out of 30 teams make the playoffs. If it means more revenue, roger will do it. Maybe they can send parting gifts to the teams that are left out. Don't want to hurt anyone's leedle feewings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)