RB "Shoulders squared" comment - Is this not the dumbest thing you've ever heard?? (1 Viewer)

Nemo

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I believe that this inane comment started with John Madden, but I hear it repeated by commentators each and every week..."such and such RB is much more effective when he runs with his shoulders squared to the line of scrimmage."

The thing that is so stupid about this remark is that if a running back is running down the field toward the endzone and gaining positive yardage his shoulders, as a result of human anatomy, are necessarily "squared to the line." If the back is running sideways and not gaining yards they are not.

The comment is literally the equivalent of saying the running back is more effective when he is running down the field gaining positive yards..this kind of stupid fluff is what passes for expert "analysis"? If you want to say that a back is more effective when he hits the hole without hesitation, instead of trying to bounce the play outside, then say that. That is something RBs choose to do at times (including Reggie Bush, although he is becoming more selective and effective with that move) - other times it's because there is no hole in the line and the back is just trying to make something out of nothing (which most of the times results in negative yardage).

not the dumbest thing I've ever heard, but I see the point. I think they are just trying to find another way to say he's a north/south runner as opposed to an east/west style? Who knows?

That is an old saying. I have heard that ever since I was playing pee-wee ball. I don't think Madden started it.

What? You can't gain positive yardage running diagnal to the line?

I guess the next question is "How do you GAIN negative yards? For that matter, can you lose positive yards? Well I guess on a penalty you could lose positive yards but I'm still trying to figure out how to GAIN negative yards.

It is a well known fact that backs are far less effective when they run with their shoulders trapezoidal to the line, or any geometric configuration other than square for that matter.

Funny quote. Probably the best running back quote ive ever heard was earlier this year in the Louisville/Kentucky game i believe. Michael Bush spun off a tackler, and then the commentator said 'Thats why he's great, EVERY great running back ALWAYS spins on first contact'. I find it hard to believe that that is true.

True, it's silly, but I think that it's used to talk to the audience, many of whom do not have the advanced knowledge of those on Saintsreport. In defense of guys like Madden, it's an easy way tell an audience that, for example, Christian Okoye is less effective when he is running sideline to sideline (he lacked quickness and great footwork) but "when he gets his shoulders squared, he is tough to stop. Again appears obvious, but this simplified description may make it easier for some to understand.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom