Re-signing UFAs (Question) (1 Viewer)

dutar76

7th year itch
Reaction score
Anybody know how this works? Can we "extend" or "re-sign" our UFAs before the Free Agent signing period? Or do we have to wait?

I see we're taking care of some of our ERFAs already. I would like to hear that we've started locking up our in-house guys before it becomes open season.

Anybody know how this works? Can we "extend" or "re-sign" our UFAs before the Free Agent signing period? Or do we have to wait?

I see we're taking care of some of our ERFAs already. I would like to hear that we've started locking up our in-house guys before it becomes open season.
We can re-sign/extend anytime. Most will wait to see if a better offer is there, especially if they are lower in terms of importance.

We can sign or extend our players. Their contracts don't end until a certain date, I believe. I know it is against rules to tamper or negotiate with players from other team before the free agency start.

We can re-sign/extend anytime. Most will wait to see if a better offer is there, especially if they are lower in terms of importance.

We can sign or extend our players. Their contracts don't end until a certain date, I believe. I know it is against rules to tamper or negotiate with players from other team before the free agency start.

I thought so. And yeah, I knew about the tampering rules. Thanks.

Still, I'd love to hear any day now that Mark Ingram will retire a Saint, and that we're good at DE, K, and NT.

The first day of the new League year is March 13th. All 2018 player contracts expire at 4 p.m. ET on that date and is when free agency “officially” opens.

The “legal tampering window” opens on March 11th and lasts through the official opening of free agency. During this time, clubs can enter negotiations with prospective UFA’s but nothing can be signed until 3/13 at 4 p.m. ET officially.

We’re the only team Ingram can talk to right now until midnight on March 11th. Hopefully we can get a deal hammered out before then. When we re-signed him last time in 2015, we had a deal agreed to on the first day of the “legal tampering” period.

2018-19 Important NFL Dates

I’m pretty sure we can sign our own FA’s at any time. We don’t have to wait until 3/13 unless Ingram is holding out to see other offers.

The Saints do have some key free agents that the Saints will be highly motivated to keep in the fold. While it's hard to say how much of the 2018 team will be back in the Black & Gold, we seem to have a much better situation regarding free agents than a lot of teams.

For example I read where the Rams have 22 unrestricted free agents and 10 restricted free agents. Since they ended up being a SuperBowl participant, there's no doubt that teams will be especially interested in making some big offers to these guys.

With most of our guys returning under contract, and having only a few areas of great need to fill, we have a chance to be the cream of the NFC once again in 2019. Frankly, barring some intangibles, I believe we will be even better than last year! :9:

The Saints do have some key free agents that the Saints will be highly motivated to keep in the fold. While it's hard to say how much of the 2018 team will be back in the Black & Gold, we seem to have a much better situation regarding free agents than a lot of teams.

For example I read where the Rams have 22 unrestricted free agents and 10 restricted free agents. Since they ended up being a SuperBowl participant, there's no doubt that teams will be especially interested in making some big offers to these guys.

With most of our guys returning under contract, and having only a few areas of great need to fill, we have a chance to be the cream of the NFC once again in 2019. Frankly, barring some intangibles, I believe we will be even better than last year! :9:

Vonn Bell, Sheldon Rankins and to a lesser degree David Onyemata, made a heck of a leap last year, (their 3rd year), which is when most players seem to finally put it all together. Heck, even Mike Thomas got better, which I wouldn't have thought would've even been possible.

That being said, we have a crop of 3rd year players this season. Imagine if Marcus Williams, Anzalone, Ramczyk, Lattimore, and Kamara make that year 3 leap. If we re-sign him, you could say that PJ Williams is due a year 3 leap since his first two seasons were complete washes due to injuries,

Then there are players like DeMario Davis and Eli Apple who should be more comfortable in our defense. And the only players with any major injuries to rehab back from are Meredith, Rankins, P-Rob, and I guess Davenport's toe surgery.

Biggest question marks going into this season? TE, Slot WR, OL (depth if Peat returns), #2 RB (if Ingram were to walk), #2 QB (if Bridgewater gets the right offer), and what our 3-tech DT situation will look like to start the season. That's not a lot of issues to sort out compared to most other teams.

It's very possible that we'll be even better this season. As long as Drew holds up and has at least one more top-tier year left in the gas tank.

Vonn Bell, Sheldon Rankins and to a lesser degree David Onyemata, made a heck of a leap last year, (their 3rd year), which is when most players seem to finally put it all together. Heck, even Mike Thomas got better, which I wouldn't have thought would've even been possible.

That being said, we have a crop of 3rd year players this season. Imagine if Marcus Williams, Anzalone, Ramczyk, Lattimore, and Kamara make that year 3 leap. If we re-sign him, you could say that PJ Williams is due a year 3 leap since his first two seasons were complete washes due to injuries,

Then there are players like DeMario Davis and Eli Apple who should be more comfortable in our defense. And the only players with any major injuries to rehab back from are Meredith, Rankins, P-Rob, and I guess Davenport's toe surgery.

Biggest question marks going into this season? TE, Slot WR, OL (depth if Peat returns), #2 RB (if Ingram were to walk), #2 QB (if Bridgewater gets the right offer), and what our 3-tech DT situation will look like to start the season. That's not a lot of issues to sort out compared to most other teams.

It's very possible that we'll be even better this season. As long as Drew holds up and has at least one more top-tier year left in the gas tank.
I totally agree with your assessments of our team needs. And I really wouldn't worry about Drew Brees as much as some often do. To me Drew is not the kind of guy to try and fake his way through a season. If he truly believes he's ready for another round... he'll be ready! If anything, the way the season ended will be a HUGE motivating factor for him (and others).

Another question mark you didn't mention is Rankins. He may not be ready to go in Week 1 and that will require at least a suitable backup for some depth at the defensive nose position. But if he's a fast healer, we may see him back doing his shimmy sooner than later. I sure hope so! :9:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom