Read option (1 Viewer)

sportsaint

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I read that Coach said the defensive performance this year kept him awake and that the read option/spread was troubling to him or something like that. I guess in practice he and the new DC will have to have a QB that can practice this for our new scheme to prepare for. The same way he has in the past brought in left handed QB's. Seeing it is a new/old wrinkle that may stick around, and he has said it is troubling for an offense to defend against, i guess this would be prudent on the team's part.

Funny, I was just wondering if Payton would implement some read option plays for Drew/Sproles this year. Drew throws pretty well when rolling out too, could also open up a big play downfield.

Our offense is powerful enough that we do not need to run gimmick plays to be successful.

Our offense is powerful enough that we do not need to run gimmick plays to be successful.

I was really meaning for the defensive side of the ball preparation. Our offensive production just needs Coaches touch and attention again for it to be productive. I was thinking of Chase also for this issue.

I was really meaning for the defensive side of the ball preparation. Our offensive production just needs Coaches touch and attention again for it to be productive. I was thinking of Chase also for this issue.

Strictly for preparation purposes I agree. IIRC, back when the wildcat bursted into the NFL, I'm pretty sure we had a RB run those type of plays in practice (I want to say Pierre did this). A lot of people thought we were going to use it in a game but it was solely for practice purposes.

The read option is a fad, just like the wildcat, the run and gun. The NFL teams that perenially suceed do so mostly with pocket passers. Defenses will catch up with it if they haven't aleady.

The read option is a fad, just like the wildcat, the run and gun. The NFL teams that perenially suceed do so mostly with pocket passers. Defenses will catch up with it if they haven't aleady.

Yes, but look at the QB's that are in the league now that run it. RGIII, Colin Kaepernick(sp), Russel Wilson, Cam Newton...You at least have to prepare for it and then you have new coaches coming from college that are going to install a little of it so much that you have to at least prepare for it. And all of those QB's can drop back and heave it no problem. Double, triple threats i think.

Last edited:
Funny, I was just wondering if Payton would implement some read option plays for Drew/Sproles this year. Drew throws pretty well when rolling out too, could also open up a big play downfield.

It is predicated on the fear that the QB will run and is set up by a couple of runs by the QB. I don't want our QB intentionally running the ball. Leave that to Cam, Colon, RGIII, Wilson, etc.

Yes, but look at the QB's that are in the league now that run it. RGIII, Colin Kaepernick(sp), Russel Wilson, Cam Jordan...You at least have to prepare for it and then you have new coaches coming from college that are going to install a little of it so much that you have to at least prepare for it. And all of those QB's can drop back and heave it no problem. Double, triple threats i think.

Exactly what I was going to post, in the wildcat it was sort of one dimensional in a sense. When you have this read option you have to worry about the back, the QB running and the QB burning you on passing. With the players that are doing now at QB (so athletic) I don't see it going anywhere any time soon

I agree i wouldn't want to see Drew running often either. Just for practice sake. Look at what other's have posted that with Drew practicing against a 3-4 defense now will only make him infinitely better!!

yes, but look at the qb's that are in the league now that run it. Rgiii, colin kaepernick(sp), russel wilson, cam newton...you at least have to prepare for it and then you have new coaches coming from college that are going to install a little of it so much that you have to at least prepare for it. And all of those qb's can drop back and heave it no problem. Double, triple threats i think.

fify

Actually defending the read option is not that hard, if your D is prepared and expects to defend it. What the QB is doing is eying the weakside pressure, when the plays runs to the strong side.....as an example. If the weakside DE is sucked into following the RB, the QB keeps the ball and rolls out to the weaksede, and there isn't anybody around to stop him....... if the weakside DE "stays home", then he gives the ball to the RB. That's basically what the read option is all about.

The whole purpose for the read option is keep the front DL guessing.....the biggest problem is....when the DL expects the play..... zeroes in, and takes out both the QB & the ball carrier. Of course the offense demands a flag for unnecessary roughness, but if the DE attacks the QB when his back is turned to the play, he has no idea if the the QB has the ball or not. So at that time he hits the QB as hard as he possibly can. It might draw the flag, but I guarantee if this happens a few times in the game, the QB won't be finishing that game!

But even if there isn't a hit on the QB.....the mere presence of the DE attacking the QB, and only the QB........will render the option read moot. That means, the QB will always has to give the ball away to the RB, knowing that the weakside DE is right behind him ready and willing to cream his butt, if he keeps the ball!

This is the worst idea. Think about it and report back once you figure out why.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom