Real Estate Agents and Builders to stop using the terms “master bedroom” and “master bathroom” (1 Viewer)

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score

Is the word “master” offensive because it may have a racist and/or sexist connotation?

It’s honestly something I’ve never thought about.

Is the word “master” offensive because it may have a racist and/or sexist connotation?

I dream of Jeanie was the only time that word was remotely cool

Seems a bit over the top.

We did the Midieval Times in Orlando. The servers were 'slaves' and told us to refer to them as such. Ours was a young black person and I was like nah, that makes me to uncomfortable so I'll go with serving wench, just to maintain the theme, if that's ok.

She seemed to appreciate it.

I like to think of myself as a BLM ally.. but i agree that some of this goes a bit too far.

However, some like to cherry pick the things like this that are a little ridiculous, throw their hands in the air, and try to invalidate the entire movement.. That isnt how life works.

Can I still say, "I am the master of my domain"? Like what gamers like to say when they're wrecking shop.

My first inclination was to LOL, but sure. Why not. Once you peel away the superficial layers, you have no choice but to deal with what lies underneath. Go ahead... get the small stuff out of the way, but keep that same energy when it comes to the things that'll really make a difference.

We did the Midieval Times in Orlando. The servers were 'slaves' and told us to refer to them as such.

Wait what?! That's 🦆ing creepy. Regardless of what race the servers are. I'm surprised that exists in 2020. There's no way I'd call anyone of any color a "slave" in any situation. Super weird and uncomfortable.

My first inclination was to LOL, but sure. Why not.

That’s pretty much where I am on this. Thought it was a silly notion at first, but after a bit more thought, I am not going to use the term anymore. It just sort of suddenly struck me as antiquated and I’m off it just like that.

Wait what?! That's 🦆ing creepy. Regardless of what race the servers are. I'm surprised that exists in 2020. There's no way I'd call anyone of any color a "slave" in any situation. Super weird and uncomfortable.
This was back around 2008 so can't say it's still a thing. But yes it creeped me out and most servers were black. I couldn't believe it even back then but it was a one night thing for me so didn't pick up and march for it.

That’s pretty much where I am on this. Thought it was a silly notion at first, but after a bit more thought, I am not going to use the term anymore. It just sort of suddenly struck me as antiquated and I’m off it just like that.

Yeah, I never thought about master bedroom as being something that belongs to the master of the house. But rather the main bedroom. The word master is used in conjunction with a lot of other applications, master lock, master beam, and also as a verb, mastering language, etc.

I do realize master in context of slavery has negative connotations, but should the word be eliminated when there are numerous other applications?

I don't really ever use master bedroom anyway. I tend to say main bedroom or just bedroom. Wouldn’t bother me if it went away entirely though.

I've seen "primary" used for a decade now. Seems like some people are just figuring this out for some reason.

MV5BODgyYzRhNzAtMTJlNC00OTM0LWI3M2ItNzZjYzYxZmJiOWIyL2ltYWdlL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDUxNjc5Nj...jpg

Dmkitbook.jpg

What if you have a Master's degree?

Like Mrbluesky, I'm all in on the movement but there's bigger things to go after.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom