Real Estate Agents and Builders to stop using the terms “master bedroom” and “master bathroom” (2 Viewers)

They're over thinking it, maybe to even get into the news. But, Primary bedrooom works too.

Aren't boys referred to as "master" before they're a "mister"?

I don't think the word is offensive, except maybe in a few contexts.

At the end of the day, all you want to do is to make a sale. If a term pisses off 1% of your potential clientele, then that potential revenue lost.

It’s all about money.

I think because of the widespread use of the word for things wholly unrelated to social or race issues, it would be problematic to get rid of the term. I've always understood master=main or primary when it comes to master bedroom or master bath which is how it's meant in most contexts.

But if it offends too many people, I won't lose any sleep over it if it goes away. Just a word.

I think because of the widespread use of the word for things wholly unrelated to social or race issues, it would be problematic to get rid of the term. I've always understood master=main or primary when it comes to master bedroom or master bath which is how it's meant in most contexts.

But if it offends too many people, I won't lose any sleep over it if it goes away. Just a word.

Yeah, this one seems a bit silly to me. But I'm not attached to the word "master bedroom" whatsoever so if it offends some people, changing it is no sweat off of my back. But I have healthy priorities and am not a weirdo who gets upset by things that don't impact me whatsoever.

At the end of the day, all you want to do is to make a sale. If a term pisses off 1% of your potential clientele, then that potential revenue lost.
It’s all about money.
But honestly, did it really piss anyone off to begin with? I mean, fine, you want to call it a primary bedroom then call it a primary bedroom. Just don't make a big deal out of it by broadcasting it in the media. If the ultimate goal is revenue, then you're also risking turning off people who don't appreciate superficial changes to get attention.

Last edited:
I think context matters. In a real estate context, "master" has always meant "main" or "primary". No subjugation is intended, nor implied. On the other hand, all cars have Master Cylinders and Slave Cylinders in their braking systems. And guess what....the slave cylinder does indeed serve the master; although it could also fit within the context of "primary" and "secondary." So I'd say that braking terminology is potentially more offensive than bedroom terminology, unless a home has "slave" bedrooms.

And maybe the term "master" offends 1% of the population. But someone is always offended by something, at some time. You can't please everyone 100% of the time. It's a noble ideal, perhaps even aspirational, but not realistic. Our Bill of Rights guarantees numerous freedoms in this country (although they are not guaranteed equally, IMO), but there is no "right to not be offended." Maybe it's my white privilege ignorance, but shouldn't we be focusing on reformative ACTIONS, not words? I'm glad we're re-examining EVERYTHING, but it feels like we're "knee-jerk" reacting to whitewash our language, when its our behavior and outlooks that should be re-examined. JMO...

I think context matters. In a real estate context, "master" has always meant "main" or "primary". No subjugation is intended, nor implied. On the other hand, all cars have Master Cylinders and Slave Cylinders in their braking systems. And guess what....the slave cylinder does indeed serve the master; although it could also fit within the context of "primary" and "secondary." So I'd say that braking terminology is potentially more offensive than bedroom terminology, unless a home has "slave" bedrooms.

And maybe the term "master" offends 1% of the population. But someone is always offended by something, at some time. You can't please everyone 100% of the time. It's a noble ideal, perhaps even aspirational, but not realistic. Our Bill of Rights guarantees numerous freedoms in this country (although they are not guaranteed equally, IMO), but there is no "right to not be offended." Maybe it's my white privilege ignorance, but shouldn't we be focusing on reformative ACTIONS, not words? I'm glad we're re-examining EVERYTHING, but it feels like we're "knee-jerk" reacting to whitewash our language, when its our behavior and outlooks that should be re-examined. JMO...

Master does have roots in subjugation. The "master" bedroom was the master of the house and the servants lived in the other rooms and servant quarters. Even if it's only one percent of the population that is offended by it, it's value judgement. Consider the following sides.

How many people are offended by the term "Master bedroom": 1% of the population

How many people are actually attached to the phrase "Master bedroom" and will have any negative quality of life impact if it's changed: 0% of the population.

There is no reason not to rename it. If you care about this you need to find hobbies.

Is the word “master” offensive because it may have a racist and/or sexist connotation?

It’s honestly something I’ve never thought about.
I think that people are taking this a little too far.

My first inclination was to LOL, but sure. Why not. Once you peel away the superficial layers, you have no choice but to deal with what lies underneath. Go ahead... get the small stuff out of the way, but keep that same energy when it comes to the things that'll really make a difference.

I am sincerely hoping that you were not talking about masturbation.

Master does have roots in subjugation. The "master" bedroom was the master of the house and the servants lived in the other rooms and servant quarters. Even if it's only one percent of the population that is offended by it, it's value judgement. Consider the following sides.

How many people are offended by the term "Master bedroom": 1% of the population

How many people are actually attached to the phrase "Master bedroom" and will have any negative quality of life impact if it's changed: 0% of the population.

There is no reason not to rename it. If you care about this you need to find hobbies.

And yet we don't have "servant bedrooms" nor "slave bedrooms". I don't know your history is wrong, so I can't comment on that. But I can comment that in our entire lifetime, "master bedroom" has always meant "main" or "primary". A meaning is being attributed that has not existed in our lifetime. At least not where I live. With that said, I'm not tied to the term. Main bedroom, primary bedroom...whatever.

What I do care about, and whole point of my post that you seem to have missed or purposely glossed over, is that I think we need to be careful attributing meanings to words in a context that doesn't exist; then resolving that issue and patting ourselves on the back for all that we've done. There's real momentum to push for equality at this time, and I hope it's not squandered on renaming master bedrooms and similar endeavors, rather than meaningful dialogue and ACTION toward racial equality and opportunities.

If you don't care about this, you've gotten lost in the word play. JMO...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom