Real Estate Agents and Builders to stop using the terms “master bedroom” and “master bathroom” (1 Viewer)

Is the word “master” offensive because it may have a racist and/or sexist connotation?

It’s honestly something I’ve never thought about.
I work construction. My work orders will never be changed . MBR, br2 , 3, 4. Can we stop with this silliness? Is anyone seriously offended by this? Are we offended by everything? What will we look,sound like when we've erased every single thing that could possibly offend any single person? Enough already.
The white realtors will change the names, to pretend they are suddenly sensitive to something I'll bet most blacks never even thought about. Seriously, make it stop.

Last edited:
I work construction. My work orders will never be changed . MBR, br2 , 3, 4. Can we stop with this silliness? Is anyone seriously offended by this? Are we offended by everything? What will we look,sound like when we've erased every single thing that could possibly offend any single person? Enough already.
The white realtors will change the names, to pretend they are suddenly sensitive to something I'll bet most blacks never even thought about. Seriously, make it stop.
Everyday words and phrases are swapped out and updated all the time. Especially in realty.

Sunshine became "natural lighting." Bathroom sinks became vanities. The living room became the family room. Patios became outdoor living spaces and very few care or even asks why. So I think the reason behind this proposed change is what some people don't like. But they won't admit it.

It's not like the word gets locked away in a vault, never to be uttered again. I'm sure some realtors still refer to that "second living space" as a den.

They should've just changed it and not announced it. Same thing with all those other companies. Just do it. Rebrand without trying to win brownie points upfront. Talk about it after the new packaging has already hit the shelves.

They should've just changed it and not announced it. Same thing with all those other companies. Just do it. Rebrand without trying to win brownie points upfront. Talk about it after the new packaging has already hit the shelves.

Great points. I wish more entities adopted the Just Do It model. Both of the schools that my kids attend or will attend have sent out 2,000 word manifestos about all the new diversity initiatives they plan to implement and new positions they will create to atone for their racial insensitivities, etc. Both these places are already pretty woke and already have major efforts in this area. At this point, it's just peformative.

If they actually see the need to add additional staff to the inclusion office or whatever, just do it. Because after awhile this stuff alienates both the audience they are trying to make amends with and the audience that is skeptical of the whole venture. Just do it, and the people will judge the outcome.

For the want of a possessive apostrophe...
It's a Master Bedroom not a Master's Bedroom.
If we start eliminating words, events and history that offend someone, there won't be much left.

Everyday words and phrases are swapped out and updated all the time. Especially in realty.

Sunshine became "natural lighting." Bathroom sinks became vanities. The living room became the family room. Patios became outdoor living spaces and very few care or even asks why. So I think the reason behind this proposed change is what some people don't like. But they won't admit it.

It's not like the word gets locked away in a vault, never to be uttered again. I'm sure some realtors still refer to that "second living space" as a den.

Move this post to the front and close the thread
This said it all very well

See, I was right there with you up until the accusations of racism.

Right back on board with you. This is exactly what I said several posts back.

My issue isn't with deciding to call it something different, it's with making a public display of it. Because then, what they're doing merely as a self promotion, they're falsely attaching a negative connotation where none existed. Then you have people teaching their children "see how ingrained racism is in our vernacular, they used to call this the master's bedroom" when that's not why it was called that at all.

See, I was right there with you up until the accusations of racism.

He's not accusing you of racism. You're not even listening to him. He's saying the proposed change represents a societal shift away from "white man subjugates everyone else" that makes a lot of people uncomfortable.

Last edited:
Nothing in-depth, but clicking around online, some of the momentum behind this appears as much about the misogyny of the term, and there are concerns raised going back years. I think an argument can be made it’s outdated if not offensive.

Nothing in-depth, but clicking around online, some of the momentum behind this appears as much about the misogyny of the term, and there are concerns raised going back years. I think an argument can be made it’s outdated if not offensive.

That makes some sense too. I mean, I didn't see much made about the naming issue, but if it's outdated, then fine, change it to main and leave it at that. Don't even have to change the abbreviations MBR for ads and home descriptions. No biggie.

That makes some sense too. I mean, I didn't see much made about the naming issue, but if it's outdated, then fine, change it to main and leave it at that. Don't even have to change the abbreviations MBR for ads and home descriptions. No biggie.
I've been in construction way too long to be able to change my language...it would feel so fake and contrived, and most of the time I would just forget, and "master bedroom" would be blurted, and if it was an African American family, I'd feel like an idiot when I stutter to quick call it "main bedroom". Maybe the younger generation will adapt to the new non offensive language better than us who have been in this business for 25 years. I really dont care if the name is changed, but for me, it's like saying we will now call a chicken a hicken. I'm going to slip up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom