Real Estate Agents and Builders to stop using the terms “master bedroom” and “master bathroom” (2 Viewers)

5 pages so far in this thread

2 replies (from 161 views) from Dave's question about what to do

not sayin just sayin

5 pages so far in this thread

2 replies (from 161 views) from Dave's question about what to do

not sayin just sayin

I think it's a great question by Dave but most of this board is white dudes. In terms of how we can help, I'd like to hear from our black posters. I don't think it's really my place as a white man to go tell people how they can best help fight systemic racism. I suspect that feeling is shared by many.

I think it's a great question by Dave but most of this board is white dudes. In terms of how we can help, I'd like to hear from our black posters. I don't think it's really my place as a white man to go tell people how they can best help fight systemic racism. I suspect that feeling is shared by many.
sure, at the same time - i've heard some version of 'it's not my job to teach you how to undo racism" from many including my wife (not directed at me, directed at the people trying to get her on diversity panels, and said mostly out of frustration than any real animus)
and i've also heard plenty of 'it's not time to ask your black friends to burden themselves with you betterment - they have enough on their plate at the moment
Code Switch tackled this a bit in their episode "Why Now, White People?"

and i REALLY get where you're coming from with the 'not really my place' angle
BUT
pull back far enough and that's essentially approaching approaching african americans and saying, "tell me how to stop hitting you"

in this instance racism is not their disease to cure, it's ours
now obviously they have a vested interest in the cure (like they would have a vested interest in not being punched), but the burden of stopping falls to us
so maybe the conversation is something like:
Wypipo: point me to the racism
AA: *points*
Wypipo: cool, if you want to point out the load bearing parts so we can bring this down quickly, cool - but if you want to just kick it over there while we work at this, then also cool

We get closer and closer to Orwellian thoughtcrime every day.
"
We get closer and closer to Orwellian thoughtcrime every day.
when I work in remodel construction, if a portajohn (I wonder the origins of that) is not outside, I will ask the homeowner if they mind if I use the powder room. I wonder what the origins of that are. I suppose I could say, "do you mind if I use your 1/2 bath?"

" when I work in remodel construction, if a portajohn (I wonder the origins of that) is not outside, I will ask the homeowner if they mind if I use the powder room. I wonder what the origins of that are. I suppose I could say, "do you mind if I use your 1/2 bath?"
it's the room where you snort coke
you didn't know that?

We'll have plenty of triggered white snowflakes left.
I don't think of myself as a snowflake (of course, who would admit to being one), but I have to say that all these reactions...eliminating words, advertising characters, statues, etc. is putting me in a frame of mind that says "screw 'em". It's definitely not making me more sympathetic to a minority viewpoint. I'm about as moderate as they come with what I think are rational views and thoughts. So if I'm feeling put off by these events, I'm sure there are others feeling the same way.

I don't think of myself as a snowflake (of course, who would admit to being one), but I have to say that all these reactions...eliminating words, advertising characters, statues, etc. is putting me in a frame of mind that says "screw 'em". It's definitely not making me more sympathetic to a minority viewpoint. I'm about as moderate as they come with what I think are rational views and thoughts. So if I'm feeling put off by these events, I'm sure there are others feeling the same way.
So you’re imagining that BLM, and the Houston realtors association and Quaker Oats are all in cahoots somehow to cancel statues and words so that they can finally...
so they can....
what do you imagine is the nefarious goal here?

Well are we going to remove Mr. and Mrs. Mister is derived from Master and Mrs. is Mistress.

Well are we going to remove Mr. and Mrs. Mister is derived from Master and Mrs. is Mistress.

This is the best argument for calling a “master bedroom” something else. If you were an agent showing a house to a female buyer, would you call it a “Mister Bedroom?” Maybe follow it up with “this will really come in handy if your Dad comes to visit or if you ever get married.”

sure, at the same time - i've heard some version of 'it's not my job to teach you how to undo racism" from many including my wife (not directed at me, directed at the people trying to get her on diversity panels, and said mostly out of frustration than any real animus)
and i've also heard plenty of 'it's not time to ask your black friends to burden themselves with you betterment - they have enough on their plate at the moment
Code Switch tackled this a bit in their episode "Why Now, White People?"

and i REALLY get where you're coming from with the 'not really my place' angle
BUT
pull back far enough and that's essentially approaching approaching african americans and saying, "tell me how to stop hitting you"

in this instance racism is not their disease to cure, it's ours
now obviously they have a vested interest in the cure (like they would have a vested interest in not being punched), but the burden of stopping falls to us
so maybe the conversation is something like:
Wypipo: point me to the racism
AA: *points*
Wypipo: cool, if you want to point out the load bearing parts so we can bring this down quickly, cool - but if you want to just kick it over there while we work at this, then also cool

I want to say that part of the thinking behind my thread/question goes back to who is driving the reconciliation process. It doesn't really matter to me whether it's me (white guy) or black individuals. I just want to be part of the solution. I can't bring healing on my own, and neither can I force it to happen. But I'm looking for a way to open the door in a way that reconciliation is possible.

If I'm driving the process, I'm worried that a black person would view me as yet another white guy controlling the narrative, which I don't want to happen. At the same time, whites often are responsible for racist policies and attitudes. And many may not even realize the racist nature of their actions. Which is part of why I think dialogue is important. I don't think just saying stop being racist is enough. And I don't just stopping being racist is enough. I think building a sense of community and shared sacrifice would pave a way forward, but i don't know how to get there on my own. And really, I can't. There has to be mutual interest in that community and wanting to leave the past behind.

I think this is hard, because building trust is hard.

And I agree with LC, I'm really looking to hear from our black posters to chime in on how, or whether reconciliation is possible. I certainly think it is, but I'm optimistic like that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom