Real Possibility or Pure Fantasy? (1 Viewer)

St. PJ

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
Listening to Sirius radio today, a caller from Louisiana asked what Kirwin and Ryan think the Saints should do in the draft, wether they could trade up and guarantee Rivers, or swap picks with Phili from 10th to 19th for Lito Sheppard. PK and Troc said the move with Phili would make no sense for them because their two biggest needs, S and WR aren't going in the top 10, and in their division they really need 3 good CB's to protect a lead. The caller asked what they though about maybe trading up with New England (7th) and PK said that although they love moving back, they are probably after the same 3-4 guys that we want, so why not jump them and trade up with NY Jets, since they are in dire need of extra draft choices.

This got me thinking. When I got home today, I discovered the trade for Robertson fell through becuase he did not want to restructure his contract (or more probable did not want to go to Cinci), but the compensation for him was only a 4th and a 5th. Robertson would only cost 6.8 million for us this year and 4.5 next year. We wanted to draft him, he is only 26, and had one of his best seasons statistically last year even though he did not fit in a 34 and was ill equipped to play NT.

Here is the thought that has taken hold of me and won't let go: Lets trade up to the 6th overall pick with the Jets and trade for Dewayne Robertson. In return we can give them our first (10th) overall, our 3rd, and our 5th and maybe an additonal pick next year if it makes them happy. This puts us in prime position to draft either Ellis, Dorsey, Rivers, Ghulston or BPA and make either the LB corp or Dline one of the best for years to come. Between Vilma and Robertson, whatever older vets we choose to keep, and whomever we draft with the 6th pick, we would have a beautiful blend of youth and experience. That would leave us with the 2nd round pick and a maybe a couple of day two picks.

If you want more Possibility/Fantasy, maybe we trade our 2nd for Sheppard on draft day.

I dont think the jets will make this trade because i think they really want the freak named Gholston we would also be giving up our whole draft for two players great thought process

Robertson would only cost 6.8 million for us this year and 4.5 next year. .

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

not to mention there is no way in hell they would accept that deal.

Last edited:
I don't think this regime is much interested in Dwayne Robertson. I know Loomis and company are still here but he doesn't strike me as a Payton guy. I think the Saints would be better off going with another scenario that would involve trading down to acquire an extra pick in order to obtain Lito Sheppard from the Eagles. That I could see happening, but I don't think the Saints are interested in giving two picks for Dwayne Robertson.

Throw Robertson to the side, could you see us swapping 1st and giving a third to move up 3 spots with the Patriots? They are known for having done this. If you see that as possible, why not do it with the Jets, if they were willing? If you think a first and third are fair compensation for assuring ourselfs the right to pick Dorsey, Ellis, or Rivers before Cincy, Baltimore, NE pick whoever makes it past 5, then basically a 5th for Robertson would be as steal. Maybe both NE and NY are interested in moving down a few spots, and maybe the picks they would want don't have to all be this year, but it is a fun possibility to consider and I think very pluasible considering the history of NE and the needs of NY.

Robertson is due a salary of $9.8M and a bonus of $3M so that is $12M just for this year. He won't restructure either.

http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=41036

I am no capologist, and maybe that is how it is structured for the Jets, but it says here that for any other team through a trade that Robertson would cost 6.8 this year and 4.5 next.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Scroll down to you see entry under Jets on March 3rd at 5:52pm et.

Robertson will get you 3 sacks a year. Yeah, he's worth that money....

I am no capologist, and maybe that is how it is structured for the Jets, but it says here that for any other team through a trade that Robertson would cost 6.8 this year and 4.5 next.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Scroll down to you see entry under Jets on March 3rd at 5:52pm et.

i think the thought around the league is that robertson will be released so the jets wont have to pay him that 3 mill roster bonus.

i think the thought around the league is that robertson will be released so the jets wont have to pay him that 3 mill roster bonus.

If that is the case, would you rather trade for him and have him at a reasonable salary for the next two years or get in a bidding war for a contract worth 35 to 50 million with everyone else in need of a DT. I say, if we want this guy, be progressive. Normally free agency isn't the way to get every need, but this guy is a top 10 DT in a 43 defense, 26 years old, and a known commodity. We would know exactly what we would be getting, a very good starter, for two day two draft picks. Even in 2006 draft, probably one of the best ever, we only kept half of our day two picks. That price for a starter and I don't know why teams would bother with a bidding war. Obviously Cinci had the right thought, they just demanded a restructure as part of the deal. Robertson has to agree to that. We need not demand resigning or restructure. I take a bonafide starter for two years for 10 million dollars any day for a couple of day two draft choices. Especially considering we may even be able to swap firsts in the process and guarantee one of the guys everyone covets in Ellis, Dorsey, Rivers, and Ghulston. Two solid starters who make an immediate impact where we need it badly in one draft, I take that and sleep well at night.

I dont think the jets will make this trade because i think they really want the freak named Gholston we would also be giving up our whole draft for two players great thought process

They just gave a boatload of money to Calvin Pace. I don't think Gholston's going to New York.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom