Realist or Debbie Downer (1 Viewer)

I hear you, and agree. Have already stated what I thought on each player.

But the title of this thread was about Realism vs Optimism, and that's what I was trying to lay out....being true to the thread title. It depends on who you are as a person. Most Leaders are not overly optimistic or even optimistic people. Most leaders a real, with a touch of optimism, that comes out here and there...to keep things moving. You can read this article that talks about it: Forbes Welcome

But, I come from a military background, lol, where my focus is on the worst case scenario that the enemy will do to us...and I use MDMP, backward plan from there, developing 3 Courses of Action. When you have tried a few things, changed out much equipment, changed out Soldiers...still no success...that's when it time to change out the leadership 100% of the time. You always remain realistic about that, because optimism will get you and all you lead killed. So, I know that's my mindset, and most guys like me are that way. We have Espirit De Corps, and motivation, but we don't have Blind Optimism, we will get rid of you in a minute before make an excuse for you.

I would never want to change. Most reads will tell you that Optimism, especially optimistic without reason, is a hindrance to needed change to improve a unit. In fact, one of the quickest ways to get your *** handed to you on a platter, is to get up, in front of the general, with some self-edifying rosy picture of a thing, that you have failed on twice already and it looks like you are heading for failure again. You don't want to be THAT guy, because only parts of you will walk out of that briefing. The other parts will be eaten and digested before you can get back to your desk, to reattack it.

Different mindset, I get it...bc the penalties for failure are different bt Military and Football. But, both are really structured the same...they still have units, troops, and commanders leading them. Too much optimisms hinders change, because it takes the fans to get mad, eat the *** of the leader so we can make the necessary changes needed for future success.

You're welcome.

Isn't that what Payton, the general, just did? Threw out the Colonel who had twice failed, along with a few Majors, and gave the task to a promising younger commander with familiarity with the mission?

Whenever I'm on this board this off-season, I get the impression your average SR member has much higher expectations for this season than myself. The way I look at it, we're a very young team with a lot of new faces, and I am not expecting playoffs whatsoever this year. I'm just going to (try to) enjoy watching some of these young guys blossom and continue to grow. If a surprising run ends up coming out of it, I'll be ecstatic. But I really don't see it.

Don't go into this season with pre-2014 expectations. It will make for a very long, excruciating year for you.

Here's our 22 possible starters.

QB: Brees
RB: Ingram
FB: Kuhn or Johnson
WR: Cooks, Snead, Thomas
LT: Armstead
LG: Peat (Below Avg)
C: Unger
RG: Lelito (Below Avg)
RT: Strief (Below Avg)

DE: Jordan
DT: Fairley
DT: Jenkins (Below Avg)
DE: Kruger
WLB: Ellerbe
MLB: Laurinitis (Below Avg)
SLB: Anthony
CB: Breaux
SS: Vaccaro
FS: Byrd
CB: Williams (Below Avg)

I'd love for you to indicate where our below average starters are.

Any other questions? I think this year it will take some luck and we'll have to come together as a team in order to reach the playoffs. I hope Payton has some tricks up his sleeves.

Isn't that what Payton, the general, just did? Threw out the Colonel who had twice failed, along with a few Majors, and gave the task to a promising younger commander with familiarity with the mission?

Owners = Generals
GM = Colonels
Head Coaches = LT Colonels/MAJ/CPTs...aka Commanders of Troops
ASST Head Coach = First SGT
Coordinators = Lieutenants
Position Coaches = NCOs

We keep blaming and firing the Lieutenants and NCOs, thinking it's their fault, hoping that it will result in a change...a rebuild. You have to change Commanders to have a different Command Philosophy, else you are just driving the same totaled car...changing parts...so that it can sputter to work and back. New Philosophy, New Blood, New Direction is always needed to get a unit back into the game or the battlefield.

Whenever I'm on this board this off-season, I get the impression your average SR member has much higher expectations for this season than myself. The way I look at it, we're a very young team with a lot of new faces, and I am not expecting playoffs whatsoever this year. I'm just going to (try to) enjoy watching some of these young guys blossom and continue to grow. If a surprising run ends up coming out of it, I'll be ecstatic. But I really don't see it.

Don't go into this season with pre-2014 expectations. It will make for a very long, excruciating year for you.

I'm always hopeful - even when I understand that's almost entirely wishful thinking - but there are so many things I have to be 'realistic' about in life that I choose to not confine one of my favorite pastimes, of which I have no control, that way.

If I couldn't look forward to the season at this time of year, I wouldn't bother. I can go stress about business reports and projects, and the other legitimate realities of life that I do have a direct hand in.

I actually think your take is reasonable, by the way, I just felt like replying to it rather than other posts.

When making your choice I am reminded of a quote my brother often makes....

"Being right is overrated"

It is also patently false and incredibly ignorant.

It's definitely not something anybody would have said a couple of years ago, or at least not been taken seriously if they had. A couple of disappointing seasons later and the front office and coaching staff that were the architects of this team's most successful run are now incompetent.

On the other hand, I don't notice as many self-congratulatory claims that we are the greatest-fanbase-in-the-world! these days so there's that.

I'm always hopeful - even when I understand that's almost entirely wishful thinking - but there are so many things I have to be 'realistic' about in life that I choose to not confine one of my favorite pastimes, of which I have no control, that way.

If I couldn't look forward to the season at this time of year, I wouldn't bother. I can go stress about business reports and projects, and the other legitimate realities of life that I do have a direct hand in.

I actually think your take is reasonable, by the way, I just felt like replying to it rather than other posts.

Perfectly stated.

Owners = Generals
GM = Colonels
Head Coaches = LT Colonels/MAJ/CPTs...aka Commanders of Troops
ASST Head Coach = First SGT
Coordinators = Lieutenants
Position Coaches = NCOs

We keep blaming and firing the Lieutenants and NCOs, thinking it's their fault, hoping that it will result in a change...a rebuild. You have to change Commanders to have a different Command Philosophy, else you are just driving the same totaled car...changing parts...so that it can sputter to work and back. New Philosophy, New Blood, New Direction is always needed to get a unit back into the game or the battlefield.

I see a slightly different leadership structure, which should surprise no one.

:mwink:

Commissioner=President
Owner= Secretary of Defense
GM=JCOS
Coach= Combatant Command Flag officer
Coordinator= Full Bird
Position coaches=Oak Leafs
Bars and big chevrons= team captains

Commissioner=President
GM=JCOS
Coordinator= Full Bird

Gotta pick you apart, you knew it was coming:

Every team has a GM...how could that equate to JCOS?

Maybe if you had done something like COS for NFC, COS for AFC...then you could have a Chairman of the JCOS.

Coordinators cannot be FLAG Commanders or any type of Commanders, bc they only control part of a unit. Commanders control everything under them...everything. Coordinators are like LTs, bc they have platoons, sections, attachments within a unit they control.

The rest...ill just scratch my head and leave alone (Position coaches...Oak Leafs....LOL)

Commissioner=President
GM=JCOS
Coordinator= Full Bird

Gotta pick you apart, you knew it was coming:

Every team has a GM...how could that equate to JCOS?

Maybe if you had done something like COS for NFC, COS for AFC...then you could have a Chairman of the JCOS.

Coordinators cannot be FLAG Commanders or any type of Commanders, bc they only control part of a unit. Commanders control everything under them...everything. Coordinators are like LTs, bc they have platoons within a unit they control.

The rest...ill just scratch my head and leave alone...lol

You both lost me...

You both lost me...

Just saying that these teams internal structures can match up to a unit.

Commanders control everything, even have say on the Soldiers they want to keep/cut...and in many cases, get. They develop the battle plans with the LTs/Coordinators, who have their own specific parts of the unit. With the First SGT/ASST HC assisting. The postion coaches/NCOs are on the ground with them, teaching execution, timing etc.

That's all we are saying. You can't keep changing out the NCOs/LTs hoping for a command philosophy change. Things will run the way the commander runs things...no matter how many parts and people you exchange.

Alright...its beat to death.

Here's our 22 possible starters.

QB: Brees
RB: Ingram
FB: Kuhn or Johnson
WR: Cooks, Snead, Thomas
LT: Armstead
LG: Peat
C: Unger
RG: Lelito or Kelemete
RT: Strief

DE: Jordan
DT: Fairley
DT: Jenkins
DE: Kruger
WLB: Ellerbe
MLB: Laurinitis
SLB: Stupar or Anthony
CB: Breaux
SS: Vaccaro
FS: Byrd
CB: Williams or Finnegan or Harris or Crawley

I'd love for you to indicate where our below average starters are.

Lelito, Jenkins, and Peat (as of right now).

And Laurinitis and Kruger are well past their primes.

Ellerbe's legs are made out of porcelain, so that's something to keep in mind as well.

And Laurinitis and Kruger are well past their primes.

I could better understand if you said they were both on, or approaching, the downslope of their careers, but I don't know how it can be said that a 29 year old LB and a 30 year old DE are "well past their primes", unless you think both of them are players who are experiencing physical declines well ahead of their peers?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom