Realist or Debbie Downer (1 Viewer)

Like most here I was drinking to cool aid when hearing and seeing good things during preseason and Training Camp. With that said, our defense looks good against our offense and vice versa. However the real test is when we step out and play other teams. I agree with most of Zach's comments he made the other day. When game day hits there isn't some magical thing that will happen and they will "Start Really Playing". You play like you practice.

With that said would it be a Realist statement or Debbie Downer to say that another 7-9 or 8-8 season is to be expected? I do agree there are some areas where improvements will happen but at the end of the day will it be enough to get a "W"?

There's always a handful of teams that jet out of the gate to 4-0. Even our Saints have done it a few times. I'd love to see it but I don't expect it to happen.

The problem is that, far too often, our Saints shuffle into the season and the fans get frustrated waiting for them to 'jell'. They come together for a game, then they lose two to dumb, rookie, mistakes, dropped balls, missed blitz pickups, and fumbles. Lord help us if injuries again wrack this team.

This pre-season, just like last year's pre-season, does not offer much to pin your hopes upon. The Saints have shown no potential for suddenly putting it all together. Lower your expectations and you can't be surprised.

I'm always hopeful - even when I understand that's almost entirely wishful thinking - but there are so many things I have to be 'realistic' about in life that I choose to not confine one of my favorite pastimes, of which I have no control, that way.

If I couldn't look forward to the season at this time of year, I wouldn't bother. I can go stress about business reports and projects, and the other legitimate realities of life that I do have a direct hand in.

I actually think your take is reasonable, by the way, I just felt like replying to it rather than other posts.
Oh no prob bud, I didn't take it poorly at all. And I just wanted to clarity that I am super excited for the season. You can be expecting another 7-9ish type year and still be excited, especially when it's a super young team where you just want to see progression and growth. It's more just about where your expectations are at. Mine are low, but I'm still excited to watch guys like Breaux, Anthony, Rankins (if he comes back) grow. That's my main focus: growth. And if a playoff appearance surprisingly comes out of it, awesome!

Basically I'm watching for the future I suppose, not the present. It keeps me sane during these rebuilding seasons.

No, if this team doesn't "gel" it will be a crime. This team has far more talent, especially on defense, than past Saint teams. If they can't "come together" and play in top ten football by the second half of the season on both sides of the ball, the sights will be squarely on the coaching staff.

Let's see how this plays out. I do believe we will be better or equally as good in just about every position except OG. That should equate to more wins but our schedule is much more difficult. That puts us about the same as last year from a W's and L's standpoint. A few bounces of the ball to our benefit and it could be better or not as good. It's that close in the NFL.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom