Realistic Mock Draft!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

DrudkhFan

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Round 1)

Saints' Pick:
Keith Rivers OLB
The more I think about it the more that this picxk makes sense. The Saints probally feel fairly safe at corner right now, like they did a year ago. Rivers has the most potiential of any OLB this year and could become a great player. I've watched him in a few games recently, and he accually isn't as bad as some people make him out to be. I love Cromartie, but I don't know if the Saints love him as much. I would love to trade up for Ellis or Dorsey but I don't think they will fall past pick 5. With McKenzie coming back healthy the Saints will feel like they are good at CB.

kr1.jpg

My Pick:
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB
I really want Cromartie, I can understand why some people don't want him, but from what I've seen, he has all the potienital in the world. I hear that he is a quick learner as well, which would help him adjust to the NFl quickly. He may be from a small school, but he did dominate. I wouldn't want to pass up on this potiential, he can become the best corner ever! Maybe I just haven't seen enough busts in my short time as a Saints fan to know not to take the risk.

Round 2)

Saints' Pick:
Trevor Laws DT
There are no negatives when it comes to Trevor Laws, he always gets the job done, and he will never give up until the play is over. He may not have ideal size, but he would still work very well in a 4-3 defense like the Saints run. He is projected as a mid 2rd round pick, but if the Saints have looked into him at all they know he's worth the pick at 40. I just don't see who else we would pick here, and Trevor Laws could very well be the answer at DT for us. We will probally add a NT as well in the later rounds.
c_TrevorLaws-big.jpg

My Pick
Trevor Laws:
I completely agree with picking Trevor Laws in the 2nd.

Round 3)

Saints' Pick:
Jermichael Finley TE
It's pretty obvious that Billy Miller, and Eric Johnson are not the future off this team at TE, what we need is a athletic TE like Jermicheal Finley. He is still very inexperienced but will shine with Brees throwing to him. Payton would not be able to pass up on an offensive player for 3 entire rounds, and TE is probally our biggest need on offense.
get_image

My Pick:
Josh Johnson QB
I think that Josh Johnson has a lot of potiential, he is an excellent athlete and only threw one interception last season. He probally isn't Payton's type of QB, but he is my type of QB. He would be ready to take over when Brees retires. (I HOPE THAT'S NOT ANY TIME SOON)

Round 5)
Saints' Pick:
Frank Okam DT
He is a big guy, that has been lazy at times, You could call him the second coming of Shaun Rogers. A big NT from Texas that is lazy and fat, but when he plays he makes an impact. But the difference is that Okam is projected to go in the 5th round while Rogers went in the 2nd. This pick isn't going to get you a full time contributor, but when he does play as well as he is able to he will show us first round talent.
okam_frank_092105_300.jpg

My Pick:
Frank Okam:
I like Okam as well

Round 6)
Corey Lynch FS
a FS that is also amazing on special teams, he could probally at least bring competition to the FS Position.

Round 7)
Frenando Velasco C/G
a solid OLine pick up.

Depth Chart:
QB: Drew Brees
RB: Reggie, Deuce/PT
FB: Karney
WR: Colston
WR: Meachem
OT: Jammal Brown
OG: Nesbit
C: Goodwin
OG: Evans
OT: Bushrod

DE: Will Smith
DT: Frank Okam, Hollis Thomas
DT: Trevor Laws, Brian Young
OLB: Dan Morgan, Keith Rivers
MLB: Vilma, Rivers
OLB: Fujita, Rivers
CB: McKenzie
CB: Usama Young
FS: Bullocks
SS: Roman Harper

KR: Reggie Bush
PR: Reggie Bush
K: Gramatica
P: Weatherford

Last edited:
I like it except for your QB Josh Johnson pick, because if we get DRC like you want, i would take a reach in the 3rd and get Michigan OLB Crable.

Wasn't there a scouting report about Laws that said something along the lines:

Pros: High motor player.
Cons: Lacks ideal strength. (Might have been lower body strength--leading to getting over-powered.)

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=11934&draftyear=2008

"Though he is a blue-collar player that never stops working, he lacks the power and size to clog up the middle and the explosiveness to consistently get to the quarterback."

"While plays with good leverage, lacks ideal lower body strength, plays with a narrow base and can get driven back when doesn't win with first step. Lacks elite size and struggles to hold ground against double teams. Doesn't show great power at the point of attack and can take too long to shed blocks."

Not saying that he'll be a bust--just trying to find out why everyone is so crazy about him?

The feeling I got from the scouting report: make sure we do what it takes to get Dorsey or Ellis, then CB in 2nd and LB in 3rd. Just my gut reaction to it.

What makes it realistic? Becasue we did not choose Dorsey or Ellis?

Round 2)

Saints' Pick:
Trevor Laws DT
There are no negatives when it comes to Trevor Laws, he always gets the job done, and he will never give up until the play is over. He may not have ideal size, but he would still work very well in a 4-3 defense like the Saints run. He is projected as a mid 3rd round pick, but if the Saints have looked into him at all they know he's worth the pick at 40. I just don't see who else we would pick here, and Trevor Laws could very well be the answer at DT for us. We will probally add a NT as well in the later rounds.
c_TrevorLaws-big.jpg

Most of the "big name" rankings I have seen have him in the 2nd round range, so this wouldn't be that much of a reach in my eyes. :) (I personally value him more than Balmer)

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/players.php?genpos=DT&draftyear=2008&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/rankings/dt.html

http://www.drafttek.com/2008players.html

http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2008_nfl_draft/draft_value_board.htm

i really want brandon flowers in the b and g, but if we land rivers and laws in the first two rounds, our front 7 will be VASTLY improved. i seriously think that with those additions and the additions we have made in the off season, our D would be a top 10 D...

i really want brandon flowers in the b and g, but if we land rivers and laws in the first two rounds, our front 7 will be VASTLY improved. i seriously think that with those additions and the additions we have made in the off season, our D would be a top 10 D...

I agree. I think this will vastly improve our defense if we get those two players...

we need a DT in round 1 or 2 and please LAWWWD dont let it be balmer. without an effective DT we will be leaving vilma exposed and truly limiting his ability to make plays. i really wish we had another 2 so that we could address CB and grab brandon flowers.

Balmer is rated as the 3rd best DT in the Draft,that's from Coaches and analyst alike...so there is a possibility he could be the pick, I think we need to wrap our mind around that.....but I think the Saints know they need to get some young bodies upfront to protect the potential investment in Vilma and possibly Rivers, we are getting old in the middle of our Defense, so......

It's true that Balmer may be the third best DT, but is he the 10th best player? No way. I re-watched the clip of Miami taking Ted Ginn last year and Kiper actually said something intelligent. Miami took Ginn, who was a projected first rounder at 9 and Kiper said you don't take the 18th best player in the draft at the 9 position. It would be the same for Balmer.

i cant imagine this team reaching at balmer after what happened with sully. we would be better served taking rivers or trading down. laws, if there in the second would fill a void. granted he is no ellis or dorsey but the kid will be a solid performer for years to come...

DRC and Josh Johnson are not part of the mock, the picks below Saint's Pick is the mock, the other picks are players I would want to have.

Calling Trevor Laws a mid 3rd round pick ,was just a typeing mistake by me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom