Realistically: Will We Have the Desire to Repeat? (1 Viewer)

Swimmer

Medsamust Saint Fan
Reaction score
No team has repeated since the Pats and that was while back. In fact many SB teams in the last decade, especially the NFC, failed to make the playoffs the next year.

I'm afraid I'm a homer here, but if any team has a chance since the Pats, I think it's us for two primary reasons: SP and Brees. Both want their place in the history books and 1 SB title is not enough for either.

I believe this team will win another SB or two. We had a good deal of injuries this year and still won.

But the distractions are huge for SB winners. A lot of players want to see their payday. And the total commitment it takes on winning it all is huge.

Do you think we really have a good shot at repeating this year?

I think we can repeat as long as the team doesn't take two words from your post and live and work by them, the two words "I'm afraid".

The team can't be afraid the lose.

The team can't be afraid the take chances.

The team can't be afraid to do what it takes (Off season, OTA's, Camp & the season) to win.

In short winners do what losers will not .... dedication, planning, hard work, focus, team ....the same thing made this team (and I do mean everyone) Super Bowl XLIV Champions!

I never get tired of typing or saying that!

Yes, I do think we have a good shot at it.

Greg Williams is here to stay. His involvment alone was a huge boost and a key reason for the win. His philosophy is a great fit, and he will get some of his defensive toys back from IR. He also gets to shop for new ones in the draft.

Outside of him, we finally seem to have broken the curse of the kicker. Hartley has really shown that he is something special. I still maintain we would have made the playoffs in 2008 but for missed fieldgoals. I remember at least 3 games that we lost because of that. :jpshakehead:

As for our offense, Heath Evans was huge for us. We missed him greatly when he went down. He will be back off IR and will have an impact. And you know we are going to upgrade Bushrod. Over all, I trust Loomis and Payton to make the tweaks needed to improve our already scary good offense.

But the biggest reason we will repeat... have you SEEN Sean Payton with the Lombardi??? No way that man lets it leave New Orleans, and we all know what a motiviator he is for the team. :9:

we have to make our weak areas areas of strength.

if you look at what the patriots did during the years they went back to back they never stopped trying to upgrade areas of mediocrity or weakness.

free agent guys like

roosevelt colvin
ted washington
rodney harrison
tyrone poole
corey dillion

in the draft they brought in (03-04)

ty warren
vince wilfork
asante samuel
randall gay
benjamin watson
dan klecko
tully banta-cain
dan koppen
eugene wilson

even when they went to the super bowl in 2007 they stayed hungry that offseason by adding randy moss, wes welker and dante stallworth basically starting over from scratch of a receiving core that carried them to the wild card playoffs the year prior.

the patriots were bold, deadly accurate on draft picks, and managed to keep their coordinators charlie weiss and romeo crennell together untill the end of 2004.

like the patriots we have to try to retain GW for as long as possible and continue to draft well and look to improve our team through trades or whatever route possible.

It's all based on leadership. As long as Brees is there I think we'll be fine. The teams that struggle to even get back to the playoffs after winning it all are usually the teams that had dominant defenses with average offenses.

Without a doubt. Sean Payton, Gregg Williams, and Drew Brees have completely changed the perception of a perennial losing franchise and now see a chance to cement their legacies. Now that they've succeeded in the biggest game I think they now know what it takes to get back. I really can't see them settling for mediocrity after this season. This team has overcome injuries, mistakes, and just plain bad luck to win.

I think it will also help that the team is already been discounted by many as a "fluke" or "lucky". I think that will light a fire under players to prove it was neither. I keep saying it - this isn't the Superbowl winning Bucs. Benson isn't going fire Payton and Loomis to hire a GM that systematically dismantles the team....no the core of both the Offense and Defense is young. The Saints should be good for a long time thanks to the FO.

Honestly, as much as I would like to see a back/back Lombardi trophy it will be very difficult. The Saints now have a giant target on their backs and every team we play I can guarantee we will see their best game. Every team will now want a piece of the current Superbowl champions offering a more physical game week in and week out. It will be harder to stay healthy but if we do, draft smart and play all 60 minutes each game we will make the playoffs. Anything can happen from there.

I think Gregg Williams is smart at evaluating players on defense as Payton is on offense.

Payton stuck with Gibbs and Gibbs kept Fred Thomas, Josh Bullocks, KK. When Williams was hired he released all FS and SS except Harper.

Williams got Greer (bargain price), Sharper, and the other guys at safety (can't spell their names)

Williams and Payton can call great plays, understand situations, make great adjustments, and are good at identifying talent. This is why I am excited for our future. If we can make the defense as good as our offense, how can we lose?

But the distractions are huge for SB winners. A lot of players want to see their payday. And the total commitment it takes on winning it all is huge.

Do you think we really have a good shot at repeating this year?

It's really, really hard to repeat as Super Bowl champs for one reason: it's really, really hard to become Super Bowl champs. Most of the time it comes down to just a few plays. The margin for error is so small that one bad break, one call, one strange bounce can mean you're season's over.

Don't worry about "distractions" or "desire" for the upcoming season. Worry about key injuries, bad calls, or a few plays where the team doesn't execute. That's what will keep the Saints from repeating.

in the draft they brought in (03-04)

ty warren
vince wilfork
asante samuel
randall gay
benjamin watson
dan klecko
tully banta-cain
dan koppen
eugene wilson

wow look at those draft picks

good post

Honestly, as much as I would like to see a back/back Lombardi trophy it will be very difficult. The Saints now have a giant target on their backs and every team we play I can guarantee we will see their best game. Every team will now want a piece of the current Superbowl champions offering a more physical game week in and week out. It will be harder to stay healthy but if we do, draft smart and play all 60 minutes each game we will make the playoffs. Anything can happen from there.

i think that worrying about getting the other teams best game is the mentality of the hunted.

we must play every game as if we are still the hunters.

we have to play like we still have something to prove EVERY game. if i were saints player i'd play every opponent like they are the defending champs and not us and that we are looking to knock them off.

gregg williams will never stop blitzing and payton will never stop calling aggressive game plans. they mirror each other so well that i think complacency isn't even a consideration.

the only concern i have is from a personnel standpoint.

i don't want to see us sit on our hands while other teams talent bases increase.

It's really, really hard to repeat as Super Bowl champs for one reason: it's really, really hard to become Super Bowl champs. Most of the time it comes down to just a few plays. The margin for error is so small that one bad break, one call, one strange bounce can mean you're season's over.

Don't worry about "distractions" or "desire" for the upcoming season. Worry about key injuries, bad calls, or a few plays where the team doesn't execute. That's what will keep the Saints from repeating.

we were among the most injured teams in 2008-09.

if we can continue to keep drew clean and surrounded with a healthy amount of weapons then i think that we can maintain dominance.

bad calls were less of a factor for us early in the year when we were blowing out our opponents by an average of 21pts a game.
the refs cant screw you if you average 40pts a game and you force other teams to turn the ball over.

our run defense has to improve however to keep playoff games from being so close.

we gave up 133 yards to AP and 3tds and 5.2 yards a carry against the leagues worst rushing offense in the superbowl.

if we somehow can become a top 8-10 team against the run. look out!

With Sean Payton not taking bullcrap on the O-side and Gregg Williams not taking crap from the D-side, I would say these players have no other option than to be hungry this upcoming season.

The key players like Brees, PThomas, MColston, Shockey, Vilma, Smith, Sharper, Greer, Porter all being the types of players that won't take plays off, we are well on our way to having the first legit shot since the Pats back in 05 of repeating.

Looking back at the Pats, one thing that could lead to a rebuilding year is the high turnover among staff, not just vet players as mentors. BB has no one with the nads to question his moves, as he did with Romeo or Charlie. Already Moss is predicting this to be his final season in NE, and Adalius isnt even speaking with the brass. Something's afoul...

Realistically: Will We Have the Desire to Repeat?

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Somebody coined the phrase "Two Dat", referring to a repeat. With Brees, Payton and GW, desire shouldn't be a problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom