Really exciting environmental news (1 Viewer)

Dago

Veteran
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

The paint reflects 98.1% of solar radiation while also emitting infrared heat. Because the paint absorbs less heat from the sun than it emits, a surface coated with this paint is cooled below the surrounding temperature without consuming power.

Using this new paint to cover a roof area of about 1,000 square feet could result in a cooling power of 10 kilowatts. “That’s more powerful than the air conditioners used by most houses,” Ruan said.

Think about how much energy could be saved by just halving the the amount of power used by air conditioning. Potentially it's a major change and, most importantly, wouldn't require people to actually change behavior or habits

We have a science thread dude.

You think your science article is more specialer?

Also maybe stupid question but is it a problem if everything becomes highly reflective? Where does the reflected radiation go? Can concentrations of reflected radiation be bad?

Also maybe stupid question but is it a problem if everything becomes highly reflective? Where does the reflected radiation go? Can concentrations of reflected radiation be bad?
I tried to post it in the science thread but this was too big to be contained in a multi-purpose thread

You have a good question tho. Additionally, would it lead to more energy being used to heat in the winter since you would lose the warming affect of the sun

That paint is so white, Utah police didn't beat it to death when they responded to reports of a domestic disturbance.
Well thank you for ruining this for me
At least he didn't post a pic of her raisins

That paint is so white, Utah police didn't beat it to death when they responded to reports of a domestic disturbance.

At least he didn't post a pic of her raisins
True to both

I do think the OP is cool. I’m trying to help Chuck, you know, figure stuff out.
Just promise him 33% of whatever we get out of it and he will be fine

Not all of us read the science thread, Sheldon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom