Really wish we had signed Brady last year (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Watching Brady carve up the Colts yesterday and feed Lenny Fournette to win a game they had no business winning, makes me wish so badly we had signed Brady last year. I know Drew was coming back and all but we would be going for a repeat right now if we had him.

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not but I agree. It hurts like hell to know that not only did Brees go out the way he did BUT we could have also had Brady.

On one hand it shows how marketable Payton and the team have become to big name QB FA's (that never was the case before), but man... what could have been.

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or not but I agree. It hurts like hell to know that not only did Brees go out the way he did BUT we could have also had Brady.

On one hand it shows how marketable Payton and the team have become to big name QB FA's (that never was the case before), but man... what could have been.

Drew was to retire at end of 2019 season. When he found out that the replacement was to be Brady, he came back for another year.

So the ONLY way we would have secured Brady was to completely dismiss the one QB that brought the Saints from bottom 10 in league to perennial top 8.

Sean, Mickey nor Gayle was going to treat Drew in that manner and i commend them for that.

Eh, I wish we drafted Kyle Trask instead of Turner this year but it is what it is. The thing with Brady is at some point he's going to be gone and we'd be in the boat we're in now. Maybe we'd have another ring to show for it but there is no guarantee of that too many variables go into it. I'm glad we rode it out with Drew for one last year, just a shame that he lost our only real receiving threat so early and then had a truncated season himself, not to mention the lack of fans league wide. Brady with our current injury woes everywhere for example would look a lot closer to the Brady that pouts on the sideline, throws picks because he's pressing, and ditches the post game handshake than the one that lights teams up.

I don't think we would have gotten the storybook ending. Brady didn't play great in the playoffs (as usual), Payton wouldn't give control of the offense away, and even with Brady I doubt we get so many favorable calls and lucky breaks.

Plus I can't stand his cardboard personality; I don't think he'd mesh well with us.

Drew was to retire at end of 2019 season. When he found out that the replacement was to be Brady, he came back for another year.

So the ONLY way we would have secured Brady was to completely dismiss the one QB that brought the Saints from bottom 10 in league to perennial top 8.

Sean, Mickey nor Gayle was going to treat Drew in that manner and i commend them for that.
So, it begs the question.. Was it selfish of Drew, and how badly (and for how long) will it hurt the team? I love Drew and everything he stands for. But if the come-back was solely due to keeping Brady away, that's kinda crappy.

No I get that, it just sucks how it all played out. Of course Brees deserves all the respect and the ability to go out however he wanted and I'm glad the FO gave that to him. But knowing how things played out as a fan I would have rather the Saints had gotten Brady. But hindsight is 50/50 (as Cam Newton would say).

I don't think we would have gotten the storybook ending. Brady didn't play great in the playoffs (as usual), Payton wouldn't give control of the offense away, and even with Brady I doubt we get so many favorable calls and lucky breaks.

Plus I can't stand his cardboard personality; I don't think he'd mesh well with us.
He had 10 TDs and put up 30+ points in every single playoff game and was SB MVP.

If we're going hindsight, I wish we had drafted Lamar Jackson instead of Davenport. And it's not really a hindsight wish. ALL the pundits thought Lamar is why we traded up in that draft until they announced the pick.

So, it begs the question.. Was it selfish of Drew, and how badly (and for how long) will it hurt the team? I love Drew and everything he stands for. But if the come-back was solely due to keeping Brady away, that's kinda crappy.
At the time I was all for it (assuming that's truly the reason) - Brees vs Brady in the NFC south was such an awesome thing. But Brees was clearly ready to retire and Brady who is two years older, somehow keeps plowing forward.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom