Rear window wipers (1 Viewer)

Wagons and hatchbacks do too.

/end thread.

j.k. I think it's due to the angle. Most are near straight down, so no air pushing the condensation. That and you need space for the small motor. Hard to lift a trunk into the wiper...

Theories (mostly relating to physics)
-- more vertical angle of rear window combined with less aerodynamic airflow from longer roof length. Sedans tend to have shorter roof and probably better air flow down the more 45 degree angled rear window.

--Maybe a function of distance from driver POV-- the SUV rear window is further away, thus 'smaller" in rear view window; more important to keep it clean of raindrops.

-- Maybe just the ability to put the motor and wiper mechanism in that big rear door; this would be more difficult in a sedan-type car to put it in the trunk or on the roof.

Incidentally, I think I remember some sporty hatchbacks with very angled rear windshields having rear wipers back in the 90s...

Theories (mostly relating to physics)
-- more vertical angle of rear window combined with less aerodynamic airflow from longer roof length. Sedans tend to have shorter roof and probably better air flow down the more 45 degree angled rear window.

--Maybe a function of distance from driver POV-- the SUV rear window is further away, thus 'smaller" in rear view window; more important to keep it clean of raindrops.

-- Maybe just the ability to put the motor and wiper mechanism in that big rear door; this would be more difficult in a sedan-type car to put it in the trunk or on the roof.

Incidentally, I think I remember some sporty hatchbacks with very angled rear windshields having rear wipers back in the 90s...

My Integra 3-door had a rear wiper, and now that I'm driving a 4-door, I miss it. I could have used one in the recent rain.

My Versa has one, I've had that car 8 years and I'm not sure I've ever used it on purpose. I've hit it accidentally a few times.

What I miss from my Volvo is the little wipers on the headlights. That was dope.

3rd generation(1982-1992) firebirds/trans ams and Camaros had the option of getting a rear wiper...too bad the new camaros don't have the option,would have been nice on my '13 SS

I had one back in 89 or so on a tubro supra and it had a low slope.

It's just a useless appendage anyway so who cares?

Yeah guess they would have to mount it on the trunk which would also disrupt airflow

I don't like that a regular AutoZone or whatever, doesn't carry the rear window wiper for my Xterra. I had to go to a dealership and order the part (because of course they didn't have one). It was about as cheap as wipers come I guess though, and easy enough to install. I didn't realize just how bad off the old blade was, but I don't think it had been changed in about 10 years lol. It works great now!

My Golf has one. I always feel like James Bond when I turn it on. Rear wiper mode /ON.

687474703a2f2f63646e2e6d616b65616769662e636f6d2f6d656469612f392d32362d323031352f36746d6f78572e676966

This is where the real action is...

Attachments

• headlight+wiper.jpg
    headlight+wiper.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 1

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom