Reason we will draft Greg Childs (1 Viewer)

Euphonetiks

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
I believe that the Saints will draft Greg Childs (WR-Ark) if he is available. Here is the strongest reason why:

"One of the best blocking WR in the draft, uses his big body and long arms to engage defender, also a solid "wham” blocker"

At 6'3'' 219 lbs with 33 1/2'' arms and enormous 10 1/8" hands, he is the perfect replacement for Meachem. Meachem was who was used on 1 WR sets because he was the best blocking WR on the team by far. Childs could step right in and fill that void. I do not think that Arrington or Morgan are particularly strong blockers.

With polished route running, long speed, a 40.5" vertical and those long arms and huge mitts combined with great body control, he could also develop into the #1 that Meachem was supposed to be.

As a blocker or as an overall receiver? At any point in time?

I think he could come in and be an adequate replacement for Meachem, not better than Meachem right away. I do think he has the potential to be better than Meachem in the long run though. He is much more physical and aggressive than Meachem was coming out and a more polished route runner than Meachem. Childs came back too early from the patella injury and played poorly this year, but seems to be getting his wheels back now.

Not saying that this pick is not risky, but he was considered one of the top 3-5 WR's in the country prior to his patella injury. He possesses elite athleticism and the work ethic such that if he stays healthy with some coaching, he could easily become better than Meachem as an overall receiver and as a blocker in time.

His measurables are as good as any receiver in the draft.

Another case of a high ceiling guy who will fall greatly due to a significant injury (see Greg Romeus). The timing is a bit different so he won't have as much of a fall as Romeus since Childs finally appears to be fully recovered.

But a 4.41 time with that height, his wingspan, his hand size, and his propensity to block and aid in the running game sure makes him an intriguing player.

The OP is correct in the fact he was destined to be a top 5 WR pick before the injury occurred.

Don't see much difference between he and tommy streeter but I'd take either one.

Don't see much difference between he and tommy streeter but I'd take either one.

From everything I have seen and read...Childs is a better blocker and route runner. Childs has better hands than Streeter and is more versatile right now. Childs is also more aggressive and explosive getting off the line and on shorter and intermediate routes.

Streeter has huge upside, but is very raw and seems to be seen as more of a project than Childs.

From everything I have seen and read...Childs is a better blocker and route runner. Childs has better hands than Streeter and is more versatile right now. Childs is also more aggressive and explosive getting off the line and on shorter and intermediate routes.

Streeter has huge upside, but is very raw and seems to be seen as more of a project than Childs.

From what i've seen there isn't much of a difference and i think that streeter might even be a better deep threat and redzone target but to each their own. Childs and his arkansas teammate made some good plays at the shrine game this year and he did look very athletic with a couple of intermediate grabs that i recall. Like i said i wouldn't be disappointed with either one.

Even if we missed on both there is still a handful of speed receivers that i think could come in and make a similar impact as meach. Travis benamin (4.36) and Jared green, shamawd chambers, cody pearcy etc. Even Toney clemons is buzzing right now. We could possibly even fill the blocking void with a tightend like 250lb James Hanna out of oklahoma.

I don't think that we are trapped inside of a confined box at wr and upgrades in the passing game. We are very long on options in the draft, It isn't just Greg Childs/Tommy streeter or bust.

From what i've seen there isn't much of a difference and i think that streeter might even be a better deep threat and redzone target but to each their own. Childs and his arkansas teammate made some good plays at the shrine game this year and he did look very athletic with a couple of intermediate grabs that i recall. Like i said i wouldn't be disappointed with either one.

Even if we missed on both there is still a handful of speed receivers that i think could come in and make a similar impact as meach. Travis benamin (4.36) and Jared green, shamawd chambers, cody pearcy etc. Even Toney clemons is buzzing right now. We could possibly even fill the blocking void with a tightend like 250lb James Hanna out of oklahoma.

I don't think that we are trapped inside of a confined box at wr and upgrades in the passing game. We are very long on options in the draft, It isn't just Greg Childs/Tommy streeter or bust.

Totally agree. I am just partial to Childs and think he will do well in the NFL, but would like to see Streeter in black and gold if that does not happen. This is a relatively deep WR draft and if we miss out on both of those guys there are definitely later round guys with high upside as you noted. I also like Hanna and 'mocked' him to us.

Do you know if we have scheduled any visits with WR's to date? I could not find any.

Totally agree. I am just partial to Childs and think he will do well in the NFL, but would like to see Streeter in black and gold if that does not happen. This is a relatively deep WR draft and if we miss out on both of those guys there are definitely later round guys with high upside as you noted. I also like Hanna and 'mocked' him to us.

Do you know if we have scheduled any visits with WR's to date? I could not find any.

Im pretty sure Bleedit did a workout/pre-draft visit thread that reported Cody Pearcy as a confirmed visit. He's the second fastest wideout in the draft.

Tight end adrien robinson (my sixth rounder in the official mock) also visited with us. Taylor thompson TE, from SMU, wouldn't name the ten+ teams he had visits scheduled with but it's probably a safe bet that we were one of them.

Is this guy any relation to former Saint great Henry Childs? If so, I feel that's a good enough reason to draft him!

He'll be gone before we pick. But I think Childs is a better prospect then Robert Meachem was when we took him.

Childs is who Im really hoping for this draft. Pretty much the only person Im hoping for.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

NFL.com projecting Streeter to the second round.

58. Houston Texans: Tommy Streeter, Miami, WR: The Texans' receiving corps needs a legitimate vertical threat to alleviate some of the pressure on Andre Johnson. Streeter possesses the size and athleticism to create mismatches against one-on-one coverage.

Second-round mock draft: Fleener, Osweiler still available - NFL.com

here's hoping that childs lasts until our pick in the third if this holds true.

Shamawd CHambers is almost an identical athlete to childs 6-3 220, 4.42 40, 42" vert etc. that can be had later if we miss out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ioe0LNt3Ilw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pnPdx_QNuA8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom