Saints Reasons for the Saints 5-0 run with Teddy (1 Viewer)

Doesn't seem like you can have one without the other. The reason Bridge appears "inconsistent" is because he spends so much time "protecting the football and minimizing mistakes". He's not a gunslinger like Drew, he's tentative, and that frustrates the hell out of aggressive defenses. Especially early in games.

I've been fascinated by the contrast between Drew and Bridgewater's styles of play. He has been "perfect" in his own way. He'll never serve up a 40 burger like Brees, but he can keep the chains moving and win games. I wonder if there's any chance we would rotate QBs so Drew can come in when we need some quick strikes and Teddy could come in when we need to grind out clock?

Fascinating idea. As interesting as your idea is, i just dont think we will see that in the NFL anytime soon

Drew is on a whole other level in terms of knowledge of the system and freedom to do what he wants. Teddy wasn't just managing the game he was playing for his future. He did not have the freedom that Drew has earned. I'm not claiming that Teddy has Drew's potential, but his goal was stick to the script and not lose the game.
If Drew let's it fly or makes a bunch of play changes, we live with that because he's Drew. Teddy didn't have the freedom because Sean would pull him if he started screwing up. The guy was a 1st round pick, starter, and selected for the pro-bowl, but a lot of people refuse to see him as more than a backup. We are lucky to have him and the front office made a great decision for him to backup Drew. I wish pepole would stop belittling the guy because there are a least 5-10 teams that would luv to have him as their starter right now.

This is such a lazy talking point. If TB has been playing last Sunday does ANYONE think we'd have won??? Or against the Texans? Teddy did well in relief for Drew. He saved the season. But CSP (who sees Teddy every day) deliberately kept the playbook limited when TB was in there. He just didn't let him do too much. We never had a team performance like last Sunday with TB there and he never had to play from behind.

Stop posting these threads. Stop reaching these 'articles'. They exemplify everything that's bad about media coverage. They are nonsense that are created to make you click so they get ad revenue and when they work, more get written. Don't support that.

Its very simple. See the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. Trent Dilfer played within himself, didn't try to do too much. We don't have THAT defense, but its the model weve been winning with.

Now you go from a mid level starter, to an elite QB - and the D keeps playing like this - the NFL fears what might be. The Patriots are the only team that can say 'Hold my beer', and to me the Saints are deeper 1-53 with more talent at the skill positions. The Pats have the upper hand in big game experience and head coach. But these defensive numbers they are putting up are so incredibly inflated. They've played essentially the Big East so far. They'll be tested soon enough. Their schedule goes from college cupcakes to Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs.
Who's the elite QB that we have on the roster now... When are ppl going to wake up and realize we do not have an elite quarterback anymore Brees is still good but far from a elite... at this point in his career he has too many weaknesses to be elite

Who's the elite QB that we have on the roster now... When are ppl going to wake up and realize we do not have an elite quarterback anymore Brees is still good but far from a elite... at this point in his career he has too many weaknesses to be elite

Whoa!!! Very Ballzy. I deeply respect your opinion on this. There's many of us wondering exactly what you stated. I think it's fair to say the Saints were a product of Brees until 3-4 years ago. I tend to believe that both Brees and Teddy are now the results of a great surrounding team.

Whoa!!! Very Ballzy. I deeply respect your opinion on this. There's many of us wondering exactly what you stated. I think it's fair to say the Saints were a product of Brees until 3-4 years ago. I tend to believe that both Brees and Teddy are now the results of a great surrounding team.
Not only my opinion this is facts can't throw the Deep ball accurately anymore not a mobile quarterback that can pick up first downs when needed with his legs so that makes him a limited quarterback how can you be elite when you're limited

Wow. I will not go that far but I think physically you may have a a point but in terms of the knowledge of the game Drew is still elite. I mean Brady has never been a great athlete but he makes right decisions along with a iron will to win.

Wow. I will not go that far but I think physically you may have a a point but in terms of the knowledge of the game Drew is still elite. I mean Brady has never been a great athlete but he makes right decisions along with a iron will to win.
[/ what good is knowledge of the game if you can't perform the task anymore the only thing you would be good for then as being a coach

Its very simple. See the 2000 Baltimore Ravens. Trent Dilfer played within himself, didn't try to do too much. We don't have THAT defense, but its the model weve been winning with.

Now you go from a mid level starter, to an elite QB - and the D keeps playing like this - the NFL fears what might be. The Patriots are the only team that can say 'Hold my beer', and to me the Saints are deeper 1-53 with more talent at the skill positions. The Pats have the upper hand in big game experience and head coach. But these defensive numbers they are putting up are so incredibly inflated. They've played essentially the Big East so far. They'll be tested soon enough. Their schedule goes from college cupcakes to Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys, Texans, Chiefs.

That defense was the most dominant I’ve ever seen. And I watched the 85 Bears too. It’s close but I’d go Ravens. Sorry for the off main topic.
On topic, I agree with quoted post.

I was thinking we would be better off, if we play the game plan we played the last 5 games Teddy was Qb. Start Drew, but Run the ball, play great defence, manage the clock (rest the defence) , don't force the pass (take strikes down field off the play action) , Use our depth at our front 7 to wear them down in the 4th quarter. That is playoff football. What travels well in the playoffs? Running game and defense. Throwing 40 times in the Atl. game was all on Sean. He has a game like this every year.

Last edited:
Part of the reason also is Payton changed up the offense just slightly and teams didn’t have a perfect scheme against Teddy. He had 5 games, each game slightly different as the offense was tweaked. Alignments, calls, that sort of thing teams couldn’t completely plan against. Now Brees comes back against an Atlanta team that is talented, was shook up, people playing and coaching for their careers. Atlanta also knows every single thing about the saints as a division rival. They used that knowledge to take apart the Saints. While Payton was partying and getting engaged, underestimating his Opposition, the Falcons were busting their butts to save jobs and rescue a season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom