reasons not to draft leonard fournette (2 Viewers)

bebo

Rookie
Reaction score
I really hope we do not draft leonard fournette. my reasons are: 1-he does not have a good change of direction to make people miss. he rarely jukes someone into missing a tackle. 2- he is hurt entirely too much which I believe is because of his upright running style where he gets hit so much. I also believe he will have hamstring problems.3- sean payton will never let him have more than 10 or 12 carries per game and it does not matter how good he is. payton wants to pass,pass and pass some more. 4- the saints have much greater needs at cb, rush end, guard and lb. 5- I do not believe I have ever seen fournette block---- he will get brees killed on his pass blocks. 6- running backs rarely dominate games like they used to due to rules that favor passing and high scoring offenses. I do not dislike fournette, but I do not think he was even lsu's best runner, as guice was. let the flames begin.

The only real reasons you need:

1.) We have a Pro-Bowl, 3 straight 1k+ offensive yardage seasons RB
2.) The number 1 NFL Offense and the number 27 NFL Defense

Reasons TO draft him (if available):
-rare combination of size, speed, and athleticism
-good pass catcher
-good blocker
-great character
-he can run around defenders
-or he can just run right over them
-excellent vision and awareness
-his ceiling is disgustingly higher that Ingram's
-about the "surest thing" in the draft as you can get

All of this voids if he is selected higher obviously. However, IF he IS there (when we pick), then his name needs to selected.

I really hope we do not draft leonard fournette. my reasons are: 1-he does not have a good change of direction to make people miss. he rarely jukes someone into missing a tackle. 2- he is hurt entirely too much which I believe is because of his upright running style where he gets hit so much. I also believe he will have hamstring problems.3- sean payton will never let him have more than 10 or 12 carries per game and it does not matter how good he is. payton wants to pass,pass and pass some more. 4- the saints have much greater needs at cb, rush end, guard and lb. 5- I do not believe I have ever seen fournette block---- he will get brees killed on his pass blocks. 6- running backs rarely dominate games like they used to due to rules that favor passing and high scoring offenses. I do not dislike fournette, but I do not think he was even lsu's best runner, as guice was. let the flames begin.

Hate it!

Reasons not to start a new thread on Fournete.....

Lol, just kidding. I don't care. Just thought it was funny.

He's hurt entirely too much? He was injured all of this season and still had several phenomenal games. Prior to this season, he was extremely reliable. He actually does block.

Here's a link to a scouting report with video. He covers most of what you mentioned.
https://youtu.be/27ortq29_UU

That said, unless we fill quite a few holes in FA, I can't see us drafting Fournette.

-good pass catcher
-good blocker
-great character

All of this voids if he is selected higher obviously. However, IF he IS there (when we pick), then his name needs to selected.

I guess all those red thumbs come from "Alabama Tide" fanboys, if he is there when we pick, you draft him and don't look back. I agree with the OP tho, Guice was the best RB on LSU, he is the next Marshall Faulk.

-good pass catcher
-good blocker
-great character

What you list are factual and true. However, if the Saints do anything with LF, it's trade back when he's at our spot. Absolutely no reason to draft him.

1) Well, that depends. If you compare him to Warrick Dunn, Barry Sanders, etc then yes, he has terrible change of direction. If you compare him to Jim Brown, Adrian Petersen, etc then his change of direction is far more than adequate. He doesn't juke to make people miss, but people rarely get a clean hit on him, just like Mark Ingram. When he gets by them, he's not getting caught from behind.

2) Fournette had one injury in three years at LSU. While still not recovered from this injury, he set the single game rushing record at LSU on 16 carries against Ole Miss. It was estimated that he was at 85%. Fournette has an extensive recovery program now on par with what veteran NFL players do that he implemented in high school to prevent injuries such as hamstring pulls, groin pulls, etc that often beset NFL players.

3) Perfect. He won't need any more than 10-12 carries to devastate NFL defenses. Sounds like Sean is in time with Leonard's abilities just fine. Things should open up nicely for Brees and whomever replaces him at QB for years to come. You're wrong about Payton wanting to pass, though. He will run the ball. He just grows impatient and bails on it too early instead of sticking with it. If the running game is there early, he calls it as the defense gives it.

4) Only the Raiders and Browns draft for need on the first round. The first round of the NFL draft is an opportunity to add a unique talent that can change the franchise. This is why the Saints drafted Deuce with Rickey on the roster. This is why Brandon Cooks and Robert Meachem were drafted instead of defensive players which were needed. Plus, of the Saints enter the draft with any "needs" Loomis should be fired.

5) Fournette has admitted that he needs to work on his pass blocking, putting him about a year ahead of where Mark Ingram was when he was drafted by the Saints. As arguably the finest natural athlete in this draft, I feel.confident in saying that he will pick up pass blocking fairly quickly.

6) RBs don't dominate and QBs do for a simple few reasons, the first being we are in the age of the elite QB. That time will end very soon and there are very few candidates that look to be of the same caliber as Brees, Manning, Brady, Rogers, Big Ben, etc. We will soon see the age of the adequate QB and they will require a good running game and a big O-Line, putting Dallas in an advantageous position right now. The second reason is that there are very few elite RBs. That is about to change with the recent entrance into the NFL of Hurley, Freeman, Bell, Johnson, Gordon, Elliott, Fournette, Cook, Kanara, Mixing, etc and soon to come Nick Chubb, Saquon Barkley, Sony Michel, Ferrous Guice, etc.

Flame on!

What you list are factual and true. However, if the Saints do anything with LF, it's trade back when he's at our spot. Absolutely no reason to draft him.

Was there a reason to draft DM26 when we still had Rickey Williams?
Drafting LF7 would upgrade our running game. Last time I checked, selecting players in a draft is about improving your team.

Here are the reasons the Saints should draft Fournette:

1) He's the BPA.
2) You don't pass on an elite talent at any pick, regardless of your needs. Adding value is adding value.
3) Fournette adds years to Brees and Ingram.
4) All the decent pass rushers will be taken and no CB is worth that high of a pick.
5) Jamal Adams will be taken.
6) Adding NOLA-legend, -native, etc. will ensure the Superdome stays sold out.
7) Adding Fournette will ensure the Saints offense stays #1.
8) The next QB is going to need some heat taken off of him, just like Dak Prescott, Russell Wilson, Teddy Bridgewater, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, etc. until they're able to carry the weight. Fournette's shoulders are broad enough to carry that weight.
9) You dont want to be the team that passes on Kellen Winslow to draft Russell Erxleben. Again.

1. Fournette won't be there

2. If by some miracle he is still available, you have to take him.

He's easily the best RB prospect since Adrian Peterson. Doesn't matter what you already have or need. You just don't pass on that kind of talent at the 11th pick. Deuce was the perfect example. We already had Williams who was much better than Ingram. Didn't stop us then and shouldn't stop us now. When the BPA is that much better than the other options, you take him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom