Rebuild not possible with our cap situation ($87 million over cap) going into off-season. We get no salary cap relief to trade players Pre-June 1. (1 Viewer)

Worry about getting rid of this coaching staff and utilize the talent that you have
Yes, 1st things first and that starts with a new HC and staff. Nothing else matters until that is complete. From there, you then start looking at the cap; restructuring, trades, etc.

Something I read on Twitter, since Thomas is on IR he won’t make any/many of his incentives. This is several million more we can rollover.

How many other incentives will be missed?

We are forced into a situation to restructuring and guaranteeing contracts.

Restructure value table
Screenshot_20231126_205958_Chrome.png

Trade Pre-June 1st
Screenshot_20231126_210533_Chrome.png

Dead Cap void cut
Peat dead cap - $13 million
Jameis Winston -$10 million
James Hurts - $3.5 million

If you want a total rebuild.. it's going to have to wait a year.
There is no need to rebuild this team. The weapons are all there, even if you replace MT on offense or Jordan on defense. The right coaching staff can get the best out of this talent. These are mostly young guns on both sides of the ball. If you need to settle Carr down and get on his butt, then do it. But bring in the right, starting with the HC. Heck, I’d be willing to give Eric B. a chance at HC. Bring in a good DC to run the defense. This team just needs to be given a fighting chance. Allen isn’t giving them that.

Worry about getting rid of this coaching staff and utilize the talent that you have
This seems like a reasonable option, especially considering the many opinions that we have talent, but are not using it correctly. Finding the right coaching hires will be key to being respectable next season. However, I see no advantage in making this move before the end of the season. Start planning a wish list.

Yeah man I've been watching these cap shenanigans the past few years and it felt like I was the only person who had some concerns. I saw where this was going. You go all in with Drew Brees, I mean that's just smart. Of course you're going to do whatever you can to field the best team possible with him under Center. But the all in business should've stopped when he retired. Certainly after SP left. But instead of changing their philosophy they actually cranked it up to 11. Trading draft picks willy nilly and getting crazy with these contracts.

So the time to change course was years ago. Now they can't. They have boxed themselves into a corner to where now they have to do the crazy cap manipulations just do be cap compliant. And there's no end in sight. They are stuck.

They spent all that money to reach this almost mediocrity when they could've started getting the books in order and been mediocre with younger, cheaper players, and a better cap situation. For the life of me I don't understand why each year has to be all or nothing. There is no long term plan. Each year is the plan. Regardless of the QB or overall talent level. That is madness to me.

Fans will understand taking it on the chin for a few years if there is a plan in place. Light at the end of the tunnel and all that. But this? This is absurd. Where is the hope?

Last edited:
How to rebuild for free and be great next year

1. Fire DA and Pete today. That opens the door to allow the team to lose the rest of our games.

2. Hire the best offensive minded head coach on the market.

3. At 5-12 we’ll be able to draft a top rookie QB.

This team has the talent on the field to win 12-13 games as is, the coaching staff is inept. DA would win 7-8 games with the Chiefs. If we can hit on a QB and a semi capable HC we’ll be on a deep playoff run next year.
Judging by what I saw Sunday, that door may be already open.

Rebuilds start through the draft anyway. So the whole salary cap thing isn’t an issue until we’re ready to identify glaring holes and fill them through FA.

The real issue is a lack of a QB. Every top team in the NFL has a QB they drafted (outside of Detroit, and Goff was largely cast aside).

Until that happens, we’re stuck here. Hopefully we start taking bites at the QB apple over and over until we hit.

Too much negativity here. I will say, though, that this past offseason has definitely set us back. Carr has been a bust, and we shelled out a bunch of money for Cam Jordan, who has clearly lost a step. As great as he is, and as much as he’s meant to the franchise, you gotta make the business decision.

A decent playcaller could probably get more out of Carr, so that he’s mediocre instead of bad. That’s probably good for a couple more wins.

I definitely think you have to look at drafting a first round QB next draft. Let him sit behind Carr for a year (while we’re stuck with him) and then give him the reins the next year.

We also badly need a 2017-esque draft. We need to hit on multiple contributors.

This seems like a reasonable option, especially considering the many opinions that we have talent, but are not using it correctly. Finding the right coaching hires will be key to being respectable next season. However, I see no advantage in making this move before the end of the season. Start planning a wish list.
Well, as long as we are in it for the division title, then we can just come to terms with DA remaining on until after the season. From a talent standpoint, we have a great deal of it. Too many people on here are too quick to just cut bait with everything. The players are not the issue. We all know what the one big problem is. I’m sure our players would find new energy as well if we got a better coaching staff. This one got stale and has now rotted.

Exactly, YOU wouldn’t. But the people in charge of it not only know where to start, but the work is already completed just not officially.

Relax.
Really, do tell. I'm very interested to know YOU have first hand knowledge that the work is already complete. Go on tell me more........

Yeah man I've been watching these cap shenanigans the past few years and it felt like I was the only person who had some concerns. I saw where this was going. You go all in with Drew Brees, I mean that's just smart. Of course you're going to do whatever you can to field the best team possible with him under Center. But the all in business should've stopped when he retired. Certainly after SP left. But instead of changing their philosophy they actually cranked it up to 11. Trading draft picks willy nilly and getting crazy with these contracts.

Yeah, we need to rethink our strategy.

Essentially Loomis is following The Dudes strategy. When you find 2-3 Dudes of Pro Bowl to All Pro Caliber you can trust on offense and defense you build around them and keep them for as long as possible. Offense: AK, MT Defense: CJ, Lat, DD... As much as I love those guys, each one is being over paid for what they have done this year. 4/5 are old and the most expensive one is producing the least (Jordan). Also, we brought in Carr to be a Dude but he is a dud who his teammates do not seem to respect any more. This used to work in the past, but as we can see kicking the can down the road saddles us with players past their prime and makes team culture change difficult.

A better strategy is the Eagles or Chiefs strategy. Invest in maybe 2-3 Dudes, Mahomes, Kelce and Jones on KC... Hurts and Brown on Eagles, but not past 30, and retool around them constantly using the draft and FA. Start resetting when they get near 30. Only sign if they are possible Pro Bowlers past their rookie contracts. Use FA to fill in gaps. Currently, hold a Super Bowl.

49ers are trying a different strategy and it maybe works if you have an offensive guru coaching. Put in a bunch of Dudes on offense and defense, Williams, CMC, Bosa, Warner, Deebo, Kittle. Whack in a cheap QB so you can keep buying the best Dudes possible. And hope for the best. We'll see if this works.

Last edited:
If the saints were a serious organization they would get rid of Loomis now. This is going to be some dark times and it all could have been avoided by making obvious decisions instead of a series of reckless ones. If we got rid of him today as OP states we would still be dealing with his disaster for another year. Allowing him to continue to put this organization in a hole is unacceptable by any standard and if gayle can’t do the right thing she should sell the team.

Really, do tell. I'm very interested to know YOU have first hand knowledge that the work is already complete. Go on tell me more........

You truly think that these NFL salary cap gurus/accountants are going into an off-season with no plan?

You really think they literally have contract restructures written into these deals just because?

Seriously…you are under the belief that these guys are going to be scrambling to figure things out come March?

Come on man. It’s common sense for anyone that’s been paying close attention. Just because your only exposure to the inner workings is via Sportrac doesn’t mean that that’s the end all be all. The teams are working off the actual books, with more sophisticated and accurate cap projections as well as more detailed info on each players’ contract in terms of restructurings than you can even begin to imagine.

Sportrac may have us at $87 million over, but the books these guys work from probably already show us to be millions under by a certain date just by making like six or seven moves they knew they were going to make several months or even years ago.

For example, the beloved Sportrac may show Derek Carr with a $35 m cap figure currently, but on the Saints books, it shows $12m, because they know that on “x date” they are making “x move.”

Marshon Lattimore shows $25m, but on the Saints books it may be $7m, again, because they knew more than a year ago that they would do “x move” on “x date.”

…so on and so forth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom