Rebuilding takes time (1 Viewer)

IF that's the case then we can plug any ole QB in the system and get success, right? Really?

If that were true we'd have a great backup/replacement already in the stable. The fact is every year we watch another rookie flail around until he, too, is let go. The Payton game plan is a chassis waiting for a high-powered engine. It won't make a racer out of a 4-cylinder.

It's Brees that makes Payton's plans work, NOT the other way around.

We plugged McCown in last year against Carolina and he tore them up. Literally inches away from a game winning touchdown.

McCown hasn't played a game like that in his career for any other coach.

IF that's the case then we can plug any ole QB in the system and get success, right? Really?

If that were true we'd have a great backup/replacement already in the stable. The fact is every year we watch another rookie flail around until he, too, is let go. The Payton game plan is a chassis waiting for a high-powered engine. It won't make a racer out of a 4-cylinder.

It's Brees that makes Payton's plans work, NOT the other way around.

We plugged McCown in last year against Carolina and he tore them up. Literally inches away from a game winning touchdown.

McCown hasn't played a game like that in his career for any other coach.

^^^ THIS -
could be a one game wonder or an indication that an ok QB could do good under this system.

In the end, I don't want to take away anything from a future Hall of Famer. I am just saying that in another system we don't know if Brees would have been as lethal as he has been playing under Payton. We can plug any guy with two hands at WR, TE and catching back... maybe we can do the same with an above average QB like Sam Bradford.

By the way, we drafted 3 QB since 2005 so I am not sure which rookies you are talking about...

I've said my peace in my other thread about Payton and the coaches. So I won't re-hash it.

But I personally think something has to happen if we have another losing season this year. If it's not Payton (he can't be fired but he could mutually decide to go to another team) then I think Loomis needs to take himself out of the GM role.

I get the dynamics with Benson means he won't be fired as GM. But he could go to a higher leadership role without direct intervention in the team anymore. Be the overall manager of both franchises or something from an administration standpoint.

We need a better football mind at GM, someone with a fresh perspective, and someone who will make better decisions monetarily. I can't think of another GM in the league who could of survived what Loomis has survived these last 3 years. It's been a disaster from a personnel and salary cap standpoint.

That wouldn't interrupt the rebuild. It would actually accelerate it IMO.

I've said my peace in my other thread about Payton and the coaches. So I won't re-hash it.

But I personally think something has to happen if we have another losing season this year. If it's not Payton (he can't be fired but he could mutually decide to go to another team) then I think Loomis needs to take himself out of the GM role.

I get the dynamics with Benson means he won't be fired as GM. But he could go to a higher leadership role without direct intervention in the team anymore. Be the overall manager of both franchises or something from an administration standpoint.

We need a better football mind at GM, someone with a fresh perspective, and someone who will make better decisions monetarily. I can't think of another GM in the league who could of survived what Loomis has survived these last 3 years. It's been a disaster from a personnel and salary cap standpoint.

I like the structure the Bengals have set up. Basically a guy like Loomis, a Football guy, a scouting guy and the head coach (or something like that) all have a percentage of say on football moves. It means they rarely sign many free agents but they rarely miss, draft very good and keep a lot of talent in house.

Wow, it took u a while to admit that.

You were one of the guys that insisted that SP would get extension b4 it happened. You were right, I was wrong.

Now are you seriously stating that there is hope this year. At best we might get to 8-8, but the Saints have never been a go on a run type of team under SP.

We either start fast or we don't do well at all. People act like being a mediocre team means losing all the time, but in fact it means we will win a couple games create a sense of false hope, and then screw up a chance of a high draft pick.

I just don't get the denial from so many posters.:idunno:

From 1998 to the year 2000, Bill Cowher's Steelers went 22 - 26, and missed the playoffs all three years. Four of the next six seasons were winning seasons, including a 15-1 season and the 11-5 2005 season in which the team won the Super Bowl.

From 2007 to 2009, Love Smith compiled a 23 - 23 record and failed to get the Bears into the playoffs. Then in 2010 the team went 11-5 and advanced to the NFC Championship game.

Or how about we go way back in time and look at Weeb Ewbank, coach of the 1960's Jets. Anyone know his record prior to the 1968 Super Bowl season? 29-35... only a .453 winning percentage. I suppose he should have been fired?

We are 14-21 (.400) since the start of 2014, which is worse than any of these examples.

You can stretch back farther to bring the numbers back up into respectability, but IMO we are farther down the hole than any of those teams you've cited.

doesn't matter how long it takes to rebuild, i'll still be here. I waited 30 years to win a Superbowl, i got nothing but time...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom