Recap of political Sunday Morning Shows... (1 Viewer)

TPS

Reaction score
I had a really long post yesterday while waiting for the game to start. But for some reason, my home PC doesn't save my user ID/Password and times out after I've been inactive (or posting) for a considerable amount of time. So I probably forgot most of what I posted. But in case you missed the shows on Fox, CBS, ABC, etc. (like I generally do 101 weeks out of every 2 years), here's the recap:

GOP Presidential:

Senator Brownback of KS will run as the Reagan Republican. He's an amiable conservative type pretty right on the social issues. Mitt Romney may have trouble getting the Evangelical Christian vote because he's a Mormon. Dr. Dobson was quoted noting this last week; however, Jerry Falwell stated earlier in the year that based on his social stances, he'll probably grab the lion's share of that vote anyway. McCain is the odds on favorite at the moment, but there's no telling who is going to be a darkhorse in the race. Newt Gingrich could be a wildcard as he may force the GOP Primaries into the realm of actual issues (would be good for politics if so). Gingrich will run if he believes he is a viable candidate. He'll never win, but his stances on some foreign issues are intriguing. Expect President Bush to mostly stay neutral.

Dem Presidential

Looks like Obama will give Hillary a run for her money on the Democratic side of things. He could make it an interesting center-left v. center battle for ideas on the Democratic side of things. Some pundits noted that Al Gore shouldn't be counted out yet as he has a sizable bloc of votes at the left side of the Democratic Party, and John Edwards is currently leading in Iowa polls. :shrug: Donna Brazile noted that some in the black community don't want Obama to run since he's the only African American in the Senate. But there's a certain rockstar buzz about his candidacy based on his superior oratorial skills and the fact that he's been known to be a uniting figure (don't tell that to the Klan though).

Dem House

Rep. Pelosi is going to have to go another route than Rep. Hastings lest she be saddled with "they're just like them! All politicians and parties are the same." Since the early focus in the Senate is going to be on ethics changes and such, the Democratic Party is not going to want that albatross around its neck.

Dem Senate

Early moves will be to tighten up ethics. Senator-elect Brown also noted that it looks like they're going to move to take out the oil company subsidies and switch them over to full restoration and expansion of the Pell Grant and student loan (Stafford?) programs in order to offset skewed costs of higher education for the middle class. Senator-elect McCaskill stated that they're going to look long and hard at the earmarking process and the budget committees and add some transparency back to those processes for the American people. Senator-elect Corker of Tennessee was mostly conciliatory and is favor of raising the minimum wage since Congress has raised its salary 6 times since the last time the minimum wage was increased. They feel good about the new senate as 10 new senators will be joining the ranks, many of whom still have some ideals concerning the people's tax money.

Looks like the best place to see any of the people's work get done will be in the Senate. :shrug:

TPS

As far as Democratic Presidential at this point the only one you mentioned that I would vote for is John Edwards. And I am not real excited about that. I think the Democratics really need to get tough on the trade policy - get someone with legitimacy on the issue, a Blue Dog type of Democrat that isn;t going to look like a big city east/west coast elitist, someone that looks like real America and shares those values. Hilary and Obama don;t do it, and Gore is finished.

I'd like to learn a little more about Bill Richardson, I think he will end up running. Plus, you know there is at least one candidate completely off the radar screen at this point that will get in it.

The other thing to remember for the Democrats is the electoral strategy they will have to have in the general election. You want someone that isn't in the DLC/Bill Clinton economic mold (the Party of NAFTA). And you of course cannot have a New England liberal up there. You get somebody showing a clear difference with Republicans on economic policy (outside of taxes, of course) and you pretty much shore up the midwest - even Ohio.

Although my guy usually wins, they're not always verygood at what they do. Therefor, this year I've decided to ignore the issues and vote for the tallest candidate. Or maybe the shortest. Or the tannest? yes, the most tan will get my vote.

I'd like to learn a little more about Bill Richardson, I think he will end up running. Plus, you know there is at least one candidate completely off the radar screen at this point that will get in it.

The other thing to remember for the Democrats is the electoral strategy they will have to have in the general election. You want someone that isn't in the DLC/Bill Clinton economic mold (the Party of NAFTA). And you of course cannot have a New England liberal up there. You get somebody showing a clear difference with Republicans on economic policy (outside of taxes, of course) and you pretty much shore up the midwest - even Ohio.

Richardson would be the only candidate the Dems could run on the basis of credibility and experience. He was a Congressman (most of the action is in the house), Energy Secretary (cabinet experience is a bonus), US Ambassador to the UN (foreign policy cred) and a popular Governor (governors are the best candidates for prez, plus he's a tax-cutting Dem).

Richardson is prime VP bait to wrap up the AZ-NM-CO region. Again, it's too early to assign certainty to the early favorites.

I still say the true front runner has not yet shown their face.

Bill Kristol thought Obama could not be elected during wartime. I think the party apparatus can make any candidate look like Churchill by the time they get repackaged. I believe Hillary is the political equivalent of the Spruce Goose.

I'd take most of the other potential D candidates before Hillary. My two picks have already bowed out unfortunately.

No mention of Giuliani on the shows? I'm eager to see the theocon reaction to his candidacy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom