Recent FA signings not the final answer... and a few other thoughts... (1 Viewer)

Lunchbox

1st Victory: 9/22/13
Reaction score
It has been said numerous times by people smarter than I am that a team is built through the draft, and I completely understand and am fully in support of that idea. I get the feeling, after having read someone else's suggestion on this very topic, that the Saints are looking to address needs in the off-season in order to free themselves up to take the BPA in the draft. While I think that makes sense, I hope that the Saints are not done looking for defensive help. Yes, we have Vilma, Gay, and McCray, but, please, if the Saints are in a position to take a highly-graded offensive player or a an equally-graded defensive player, I hope that we take the defensive guy. The final jury is still out on Vilma's recovery, and after last year's Jason David Project, I, for one, am not going to be completely sold on Gay as an answer until he proves himself. I'd feel a lot better about Gay if we picked up one of the more marquee names in the draft (Talib, Rogers-Cromartie). I have the same opinion on Vilma. If Lofton, Connor (are they both MLB's?) are there, let's get them, even if Vilma's injury becomes a thing of the past.

Other thoughts:

Yes, we have Gay as our big CB acquisition, but that still, on paper, leaves Gay and Jason David as our starters. My best friend who is both a physical therapist and an athletic trainer doesn't think that McKenzie is going to be 100% for the beginning of the season; we're both hoping he's wrong. With that being said, why not see if Ty Law (formerly of the Chiefs) would be willing to come in on a one -year/two-year deal at the vet minimum salary? Are we all sold on Jason David or Usama Young being ready to be the #1 or #2 guy?

Also, I'd be a fan of doing the same thing w/ Ian Gold. Let him and Simoneau fight it out for the #2 MLB spot. Sign him short-term and release him or Simoneau in the pre-season if they're not cutting it or if Vilma or whatever rookie MLB we might have (hopefully) picked up in the draft.

Ok, I'm done... Be gentle...

Last edited:
I don't think it's right to judge Gay based on what Jason David did last season. He's an entirely different player who has played a lot of man coverage and only allowed 5.7 yards per attempt last year, which is very good. And I don't think it's right to assume that David is going to be as bad as he was last year. In fact, I think David is going to be much improved. Does that mean I'm happy with the CB situation? No. I'd like to go CB in the second after taking Dorsey/Ellis in the first. But I don't think it's as bleak as it seems.

Though I'm with you on Ty Law as a stopgap. He'd be the only corner available I'd make a play for.

Other than that I'd like to see what Marvin Mitchell does in the offseason. People forget about him but he wasn't bad in training camp. I'm not a big fan of Ian Gold.

What you say makes sense to me. I don't seen Gay as a long term starter at the moment, but that doesn't mean he won't end up working out, just that we shouldn't put all our eggs in one basket. We're in a good position to get the best available LB or CB or DT at #10 and with our second round pick, so we probably will go after one of the big names at those positions depending on who's available. I'm more concerned with the CB position at the moment, and I think we can get a good LB in the second.

Do you mean that you want us to sign Ian Gold and draft an LB? I'm not sure I'm sold on that Gold has been hurt a lot recently (or am I thinking or another LB from Denver?) and it would take awhile for him to get up to speed. I think the same might go for Ty Law. He's at the tail end of his career, has gotten slower, and would need much more . . . active safety help then I think any of us expect. I feel much better about David, Gay, and Young as our top three CBs with a much improved front 7 though than I do with Law in for any of them. Their recovery speed is surely superior to Law's at this time in his career in my view.

As just an added comment on Gay, he was able to be an average to above-average corner playing opposite a corner that was hyped as one of the best in the league, thus Gay was thrown at more, and was able to hold up pretty well. Also, consider the amount of passes that he would face due to the offensive abilities of New England. I think Gay was a very good signing for us. He isn't Champ Bailey, Trufant, or Asumongha, but he is a definite upgrade over David, Craft, and Thomas.

You're concerned about Gay but think Ty Law would significantly solidify the position?

I think all these concerns are pointless....we dont know either way how these guys will play this year until they play, we have to go off intent, not "how we view it"....we made additions to the defense to get better, a pass rusher and potential franchise MLB and a solid corner....the intent is to improve the defense...but now we got people who dont want to except it and use previoius offseasons to justify there concern...well we wont know until they play.

I agree with the Saints filling there needs in FA to get BPA as a mistake if thats there plan, I'd hate for us to think we did enough for the D because of the guys we got...and select someone that is talented but we already have someone ahead of them (offensively) on the depth chart....I dont think you can go wrong with adding another linebacker, corner or defensive tackle with that #10 pick....but I think this team on paper has improved, I think there are specific changes to specific individuals that will pay great dividents and with improved play from last years FA pickups (David and KK) will only add to the defenses success...I dont expect the same things outa david this year as he gave in 07....I expect a more consistent David...he'll still be picked on (he's 5'8) but the overall play on D will be better.

Ty Law is not the answer, even for a short period of time. He has lost more than a step. The Chiefs beat writer Jason Whitlock says that Law simply can't run anymore. Combine that with the fact that he is probably one of the more money conscious guys you will see, and you will figure out that he will go to the highest bidder. He has his rings, he just wants money. There is no way he will sign for anything near the veteran minimum.

Well -- there is still the draft -- personally I am happy with who they got -- While Samuels would be a big name his price tag was too high -- I say lets wait and see -- we are addressing the right positions finally (Dline, CB and LB).

Lunchbox, when have the Saints under Payton ever stopped trying to bring in players? They've shown that they'll beat the bushes all offseason and even in the middle of TC to find the right guys. I'm sure there will be at least a couple more key signings in FA this year.

I don't think I've said that the Saints are probably done bringing in players. I just wanted to say, in general, that while I think we are much better on paper, now, defensively, I don't think we'll know until the season is here. Weren't we "better on paper" this time last year w/ the signings of Simmons (gone), David (hopefully he'll be better), and KK (under-utilized)? I know that we have to trust Loomis and Payton to pick the right players, but I'll be very disappointed if it turns out that BPA in the first two rounds of the draft are offensive players. If, for some reason, Vilma suffers a setback, and we go DT in the first and CB in the second, are we satisfied w/ Simoneau in the MLB spot for another year? Is Mitchell ready/able to beat him out? Is a 3rd or 4th round MLB in this year's draft going to be ready to step in and start? I don't know... That's why I suggested bringing in Ian Gold. Why not have someone like Gold in camp pushing Simoneau?

O.K., I agree that we need to bring in more defensive help. Absolutely. We still need another DT (preferably a guy who can start for us--we could use a young noseguard as well as a young 3-tech, but either one would help) and a WLB (as many have said). And that's the minimum I think we need to contend on that side of the ball. I really do believe we'll see some more significant FA signings (at least a TE, but maybe also another LB), and, of course, we still have the draft.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom