Recording satelite TV (1 Viewer)

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm so confused! :banghead: I thought this would be easy. HA!

What I want to do is record DishNetwork programming either to my computer's HD or to the hard drive in whatever device I wind up buying.

So I went to best Buy and bought a little doohickey that I hooked up to my computer that worked okay but the problems is it only records basic channels. I want something that will let me record whatever channels i receive through my Dish box. (Don't let me confuse you with my high tech jargon.) In other words I want to record pay channels and NFLN programming as well as SyFy, History Channel, Comedy channel etc. I don't care if it's a DVD recorder with it's own HD or if I record it on my PC. As long as I can capture, edit and transfer it to DVD. Basically i want to use it like my DVR but I want to be able to edit and keep it on disc.

Any help? Please.

What doohickey did you get?

There are a number of products you can use to do this - pretty much all of them involve streaming from the satellite box to whatever device you have chosen - either through RCA, component, or HDMI connections.

The gold standard line of products are made by Hauppage (like this one), although you can achieve the same or similar results with DVD recorders and various other cheaper products.

What doohickey did you get?

There are a number of products you can use to do this - pretty much all of them involve streaming from the satellite box to whatever device you have chosen - either through RCA, component, or HDMI connections.

The gold standard line of products are made by Hauppage (like this one), although you can achieve the same or similar results with DVD recorders and various other cheaper products.

Funny you should mention that as I was looking at that in another tab just before I posted this thread. So this will record HBo and the like?

I have a DVD recorder. I've never tried to do a live stream recording. I've always used it to transfer stuff from my dish dvr. But I've never had any trouble recording hbo etc

Funny you should mention that as I was looking at that in another tab just before I posted this thread. So this will record HBo and the like?

Yes. Your satellite box is doing the decoding. It doesn't care whether it is outputting to a TV or capture device.

We have a fairly standard Dish DVR and DVD player/recorder set up, per the instructions in the Dish manual.

Wifey programs the Dish DVR to record the show she wants to keep.

After it records, she tells the Dish DVR to play the show and tells the DVD player/recorder to record it to a blank DVD.

The only hitch is that you have to take the DVD out after it records, then put it back in and finalize the recording. This procedure can vary depending on brand. I use Sony.

Wiring diagram. There's a lot of different ways to do this, depending on what jacks are available on your components.

diagram_cablebox_dvr_vcr_hdtv.jpg

Thanks guys.

Dad's Dream, the diagram is especially helpful.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom