Red Dead Redemption (5 Viewers)

Tribes? Are there Native Americans in this game?

I see.. so that's why when I say the same sheet on the PDB board the usual suspects tell me how wrong I am and how their way is the only way.

This game is just a bunch of wandering around in the snow.

I had company last night and then went through the the 2 hour data install so I only got to play 5 minutes so far. This is correct as far as I have seen.

this snow wandering is still the only reason I bought my ps4 though.

Man, Buzd is not wrong as far as I can see. Its not even open world snow wandering. I get the idea of leading with a tutorial that feels like game play but this is excruciatingly long. I feel like I am going to be on the third night before I get to actually game play. And I know I will get used to it but the controls are not nearly as intuitive the first game.

The tutorial snow section is about 2 hours long but mostly cinematic. 2 hours is short for a tutorial in a game this size.

Did anyone get the Special Edition and with that said, is it worth the extra $20 in your opinion?

so, i really like this game but some of the 'realism' is just flat out annoying....San Andreas all over again

every time i jump off my horse to track a 3 star animal, i forget to unpack the weapon i need to kill it

hmm... I got that down and I'm barely into the game.

Man, Buzd is not wrong as far as I can see. Its not even open world snow wandering. I get the idea of leading with a tutorial that feels like game play but this is excruciatingly long. I feel like I am going to be on the third night before I get to actually game play. And I know I will get used to it but the controls are not nearly as intuitive the first game.

The game opens up after the 2 hour long tutorial and a bit of the first section around Valentine. The game starts off slow in general but it grows and grows on you until you get fully immersed in the world. I think that's why they don't let you know which missions are part of the story line and which are side quests. It's organic and you get the feel of being lost and just moving forward day by day which I think is the idea of the game, to simulate what it is like to be Arthur Morgan. And, it's an amazing achievement in that regard.

That being said, the controls are wonky and not at all intuitive. Lots of stuff in weird menus and in hidden places (as an example fast travel and your hat and mask being in the horse menu). I still haven't figured out how to store winter clothes on my horse and it keeps telling me that I don't have any. I also have no idea how to activate Deadeye or how it works and I'm 29% into the game.

And, for a sentient being, my horse sure seems to lack the ability to not clip a tree or rock as I gallop past it and that's an issue because the controls are not smooth and jerk quite a bit. And the idea that you can more or less let your horse navigate the obstacles should come as you build a better bond with the horse, but it doesn't. I also find the aspect of having to eat and having to sleep annoying, but it doesn't really bother me that much. I find the wonky and non-intuitive controls to be a much bigger issue. It's the same issue I had with GTA IV.

Anyway, if we could get Rockstar and Bungie to work together they could build an amazing looking game with great controls, spot on game play, and an amazing story. As it is, RDR2 has a great story and it's a beautiful game but the wonky controls makes it an 9 out of 10 for me and it's not better than God of War which was perfect in every way.

i agree with the arborista for the most part...

managing the cores and meters gets less annoying as you level them up so there is that

you can equip outfits to your horse at Arthur's chest by his tent...i just keep one of each weather type....Dead eye is activated by clicking the right stick...and at first it auto-paints targets....you eventually unlock the ability to paint manually

some of the random encounters have been awesome though....like a guy trying to get me to suck snake venom out of his leg or some weird swamp people attacking me out of nowhere....

the controls are wonky but they aren't completely borked....it's definitely more of a sim than a action game...

despite those negative things, the world and characters are just so interesting that i keep wanting to play

i have no idea what the online part will be like but my guess is that it will not be all that great

In your tent you can send 3 outfits to be available on the horse. R3 is dead eye... which was the same in the first one and the first first one.

heh ^already answered.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom