[Reddit Read]: Biggest Draft Busts this Century: The New Orleans Saints select Johnathan Sullivan, Defensive Tackle, Georgia 2003 NFL Draft (1 Viewer)

ozwego15

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score

Reasons for picking Johnathan Sullivan- A key part of the 2002 Georgia team that won the Sugar Bowl, Sullivan had vastly improved every year, finishing the 2002 season with 4 sacks and 18 tackles for loss, while also being named First-team All-SEC. Though not initially thought of as a high-end pick, Sullivan established himself as a top prospect with a dominating combine that included a 5.03 40-yard dash, impressive numbers for a 300-pound man like Sullivan. The Saints, who had the #17 and #18 picks in the 2003 Draft, were looking to improve a defense that was ranked 27th overall in the league in 2002. As a result, they made a deal with the Arizona Cardinals: The Saints would trade the Cardinals the #17, #18 and #54 selection, in exchanged for Arizona’s #37 pick, #102 pick, and #6 pick, which they used to select Sullivan.

After holding out of training camp until the end of July, Sullivan signed a 7-year, $19 million contract that included a bonus of $11.4 million, a Saints franchise record. As a rookie, Sullivan looked as though he could actually live up to the hype, starting 12 games and finishing with 26 tackles and earning a place on the Pro Football Writers All-Rookie Team. However, Sullivan would never again show flashes of dominance, as he lost his starting job in 2004 after struggling with his weight and failing to match his production from 2003. In one unfortunate incident, after being declared inactive for a game against the Falcons, Sullivan sat in the press box of the Georgia Dome and ate burgers with members of the media. The Saints would go on to deactivate Sullivan for all but one of the remaining 8 games of the 2004 season, and he would not start another game for New Orleans. As a backup in 2005, he had 29 tackles, including 3 for loss, and 2 passes defended, but the Saints did not want Sullivan on the team in a depth role. In June 2006, he was traded to the Patriots in exchange for WR Bethel Johnson, but would face legal troubles after being arrested for marijuana possession. Though later cleared of all charges, Sullivan also failed the Patriots conditioning test at the start of training camp and could not practice immediately. He would be released in October 2006 without ever appearing in a game for New England.

That 2003 draft was pretty terrible overall. If I remember correctly, most of us fans were looking for the Saints to take a CB and DE. I believe we were ok with the trade at the time since our D line wasn't too good. However when the second round came and we picked Stincomb, most people left the draft party and turned off the radio.

If Payton was never hired, the Stincomb pick would have went down as a bust as well. Cie Grant was an interesting prospect but he never saw the field at all.

We did not draft well after Mueller left
That was the perception but when the dust settled after the scandal Loomis was left standing and he orchestrated the biggest roster turnaround in team history. We drafted PT our 2 pro bowl guards, and brought Drew in. I think there was a DT ahead of Sully that was viewed as the jewel but I can't remember his name.

That was the perception but when the dust settled after the scandal Loomis was left standing and he orchestrated the biggest roster turnaround in team history. We drafted PT our 2 pro bowl guards, and brought Drew in. I think there was a DT ahead of Sully that was viewed as the jewel but I can't remember his name.
Yeah, Dwayne Robertson from Kentucky. He went to the Jets and crapped out.

Leaves such a bad taste in your mouth. I thought for SURE we had traded up to get Trufant. No such luck. I was also really mad we didn't take Witten later in the draft.

Was molden that bad?

I remember it was more that he was average than a straight out bust and also we could/should have taken Eddie George instead

The Saints, who had the #17 and #18 picks in the 2003 Draft, were looking to improve a defense that was ranked 27th overall in the league in 2002. As a result, they made a deal with the Arizona Cardinals: The Saints would trade the Cardinals the #17, #18 and #54 selection, in exchanged for Arizona’s #37 pick, #102 pick, and #6 pick, which they used to select Sullivan.

Getting the 37th pick allowed us to get Stinchcomb sooooo slight silver lining? Maybe? Not really.

If we stayed at our original pick and had the ability to tell the future we could have had

#17 Anquan Boldin
#18 Lance Briggs
#54 Jason Witten

giphy.gif

Aaron Brooks might have been throwing for 6,000 yards with Deuce, Horn, Stallworth, Boldin and Witten as his targets.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom