[Reddit Read]: Biggest Draft Busts this Century: The New Orleans Saints select Johnathan Sullivan, Defensive Tackle, Georgia 2003 NFL Draft (1 Viewer)

Just look at the five picks after Sullivan was taken:

Byron Leftwich
Jordan Gross (Pro Bowler 3x, All Pro)
Kevin Williams (All Pro 5x, Pro Bowler 6x, All Decade Team)
Terrell Suggs (All Pro x2, Pro Bowler 7x, 100 Sacks Club)
Marcus Trufant (Pro Bowler)

Sighs...

That was the perception but when the dust settled after the scandal Loomis was left standing and he orchestrated the biggest roster turnaround in team history. We drafted PT our 2 pro bowl guards, and brought Drew in. I think there was a DT ahead of Sully that was viewed as the jewel but I can't remember his name.
PT was UDFA.

Getting the 37th pick allowed us to get Stinchcomb sooooo slight silver lining? Maybe? Not really.

If we stayed at our original pick and had the ability to tell the future we could have had

#17 Anquan Boldin
#18 Lance Briggs
#54 Jason Witten

giphy.gif

Aaron Brooks might have been throwing for 6,000 yards with Deuce, Horn, Stallworth, Boldin and Witten as his targets.

Of course with all these “we could have drafted ______ instead” there’s no guarantee they would had the same career here

I’ve often said, regarding the hall of fame, if everyone in the hall was drafted one pick sooner or one pick later the hall of fame would look very different

how many hall of gamers were so good they would have been hall of famers on any team?

how many ‘busts’ would have been great on a different team?

if Alex molden is drafted ten picks later maybe he has a completely different career

if eddie George comes here maybe we’re talking about him as a bust

teammates, system, coaches, personalities all make a difference

you never know

Last edited:
Of course with all these “we could have drafted ______ instead” there’s no guarantee they would had the same career here

I’ve often said, regarding the hall of fame, if everyone in the hall was drafted one pick sooner or one pick later the hall of fame would look very different

how many hall of gamers were so good they would have been hall of famers on any team?

if Alex molden is drafted ten picks later maybe he has a completely different career

if eddie George comes here maybe we’re talking about him as a bust

you never know

I agree but what's the fun in that when we can torture ourselves all day?

:hihi:

Getting the 37th pick allowed us to get Stinchcomb sooooo slight silver lining? Maybe? Not really.

If we stayed at our original pick and had the ability to tell the future we could have had

#17 Anquan Boldin
#18 Lance Briggs
#54 Jason Witten

giphy.gif

Aaron Brooks might have been throwing for 6,000 yards with Deuce, Horn, Stallworth, Boldin and Witten as his targets.
Lol. Im glad i came across this post. I was just bout to say we could of had Boldin. Everytime he was an FA, i hoped he would go to N.O

I thought it was going to be Trufant after Newman was drafted with the 5th pick.
Well, we needed defense and Suggs was a man amongst boys in college. Dude legit TERRORIZED QBs and offenses. You could just see the way he played and even his demeanor on the sidelines. He was out for blood. Thought for sure we were going to take him. Figured that’s why we moved up, boy was I wrong😂💀

Same here. HUGE Boldin fan!!!
Him and Fitzgerald were the best 1-2 Wr combo ever assembled. Sure there was Carter and Moss but Carter was almost at his end at that time. Those two were together thier whole prime.
Same for Rice and Brown they had a few great seasons but were past thier primes when paired together.

Was molden that bad?

I remember it was more that he was average than a straight out bust and also we could/should have taken Eddie George instead
Right, average at best. Not first round talent as it turned out. JL Mora had become the DB coach, and dad had to draft a DB in the first to bolster the room.

He was the Shawn Knight/Vaughn Dunbar of this generation.
I remember thinking Knight was so utterly terrible that he never even made the field except for PATs but was surprised to see he was actually lined up for at least one down in the Saints legendary ‘winners at last’ 4-down goal line stand vrs the steelers in 87...

Him and Fitzgerald were the best 1-2 Wr combo ever assembled. Sure there was Carter and Moss but Carter was almost at his end at that time. Those two were together thier whole prime.
Same for Rice and Brown they had a few great seasons but were past thier primes when paired together.
I once matched paying for drinks with Rice and Brown when they played for the Raiders. Was at a bar in Napa. The Raiders training camp was out there. Two extremely cool dudes right there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom