[Reddit Read]: Biggest Draft Busts this Century: The New Orleans Saints select Johnathan Sullivan, Defensive Tackle, Georgia 2003 NFL Draft (1 Viewer)

I once matched paying for drinks with Rice and Brown when they played for the Raiders. Was at a bar in Napa. The Raiders training camp was out there. Two extremely cool dudes right there.
Its insane how long those two played for. They started playing while i was in elementary school and didnt retire until i was engaged.

All the top DTs that year were busts or low performers. We targeted a position instead of best player available and reaped the consequences.

Crazy thing is, Jerry Rice played a lot longer then Brown did and one of the main, primary reasons that essentially forced Rice to retire was Broncos HC Mike Shanahan telling him, at age 42, in 2005 preseason, that he likely wasnt going to make the final roster by the end of training camp, and that it would greatly benefit his public persona, media's perception of him if he retired first instead of unceremoniously being cut like some 7th round training camp bust and literally and figuratively, be made to look like Terrell Owens did after his bad attitude, penchant for disrupting, destroying NFL teams locker rooms, and fostering and creating locker room tension. The only two teams Terrell Owens never destroyed in terms of him being this divisive toxic prima donna personality while he was there were the Buffalo Bills and Cincinnati Bengals.

This was a perfect example of trying to fill a need instead of getting the better player. Yay! You got to check off a need for one day in April. Yippee! But we could have taken a better player and assuredly filled a position for years to come. Instead we got the temporary joy of checking a box. Could have used a CB or Safety or any number of other players that went on to have good careers. Nope. We wanted that joy of checking a box.

I once matched paying for drinks with Rice and Brown when they played for the Raiders. Was at a bar in Napa. The Raiders training camp was out there. Two extremely cool dudes right there.

Do you happen to remember the name of the bar?

Do you happen to remember the name of the bar?
It was a Japanese restaurant/bar. It’s been awhile, but I remember the name being Sakatini. It was in a little shopping area across from what was Montgomery Ward, which eventually became a Target. Do you know of the area?

That was the perception but when the dust settled after the scandal Loomis was left standing and he orchestrated the biggest roster turnaround in team history. We drafted PT our 2 pro bowl guards, and brought Drew in. I think there was a DT ahead of Sully that was viewed as the jewel but I can't remember his name.
I should add that before Payton was hired. So for the rest of the Haslett era, we didn't draft well. Now we did get Will Smith & Jamal Brown. But not much after that.

It was a Japanese restaurant/bar. It’s been awhile, but I remember the name being Sakatini. It was in a little shopping area across from what was Montgomery Ward, which eventually became a Target. Do you know of the area?

Yes. The Bel Aire Shopping Center off of Trancas. Saketini is no longer there. Been closed for awhile now.

And still to this very day, if I even think about going to a buffet....I always wonder if maybe Big John Sullivan beat me to it.

Yes. The Bel Aire Shopping Center off of Trancas. Saketini is no longer there. Been closed for awhile now.
That is exactly correct. I was still there when it closed down. Man that Sakatini place was insane. Once I saw a guy taking on 3-4 guys in a fight. I went over to help him, but as I assessed the situation, the one guy straight beat the crap out of those guys. Once he was finished, I went over and gave him props for handling multiple guys with ease. Introduced himself as Frank and that was it. Thought to myself that guy looks familiar. Come to find out that the guy was Frank Shamrock. His brother Ken had a division of the Lions Den in Napa bc I believe their mom had lived there or something. Have you been to Napa lately? The city looks beautiful. The riverwalk in downtown and there are things to do. As soon as I moved, the city started building more things and truly enhancing center city and not solely focusing on wineries up valley

This draft is filled with legacy players whats the chances we draft Elijah Molden?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom