Washington Football Team has lost DC (1 Viewer)

Totally N/S comment, but: "Wizards" may be the worst nickname in professional sports - at least big four. Which connotes the old Edwin Edwards joke about David Duke: "The only thing we have in common is we're both wizards under the sheets."

I've never made the connection between the Washington Wizards and the KKK Wizards before, but now that I think about it I'm surprised it hasn't become a thing...

For those not that familiar with the Washington D.C. area, the metro is less than an hour from Baltimore... and we all know how well the Ravens are doing.

Lots of Ravens jerseys can be found in D.C. these days! Not only that, but the Ravens have had two (2) Super Bowl wins since 2000.

The Redskins' last Super Bowl was the '91 season vs. the Buffalo Bills.

Sad to see such a storied franchise treated this way.

:gosaints:

The first Saints game I ever saw in person was when I was 5 and George Rogers set the still-stands-today single-game rushing record against the then St. Louis Cardinals (Saints win 28-17). Rogers was my first Saints jersey.

I grew up in Vegas and lifelong die hard Saints fan. There are many ways.
My Dad got his undergrad at USC (the South Carolina version) and was friends with George Rogers. I was 4 when he was introduced to me and gave me his autograph. To which Dad said I replied “I’m Joshua Harrell and here’s my autograph.” Dad said George loved it...he got drafted by the Saints, I was young and impressionable and the rest is history 40 years later.

Totally N/S comment, but: "Wizards" may be the worst nickname in professional sports - at least big four. Which connotes the old Edwin Edwards joke about David Duke: "The only thing we have in common is we're both wizards under the sheets."

I've never made the connection between the Washington Wizards and the KKK Wizards before, but now that I think about it I'm surprised it hasn't become a thing...

The connection was made when the name was proposed. I was living in The District at the time, and I remember Sea Dogs being the name that won a public vote-in.

The original owner had a friend that got gunned down and became increasingly uncomfortable with the connotation the name had.

Wasn't just a friend it was someone famous who was assassinated

Foreign dignitary I think

I'll have to look it up

Edit: Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom