Redskins Pass Rush Observations... (1 Viewer)

Mamba

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
  • Drew Brees dropped back to pass 50 times. Of those 50 plays, the Redskins blitzed 13 times. This equates to 26% of Brees' dropbacks. Four of those blitzes came in the 1st half, with seven blitzes in the 2nd half, and two blitzes in overtime.
  • Contrast that with the other side of the ball. Jason Campbell dropped back to pass 42 times. Of those 42 plays, the Saints blitzed 24 times. This equates to 57% of Campbell's dropbacks.
  • The overwhelming majority of blitzes (from both teams) consisted of simple edge blitzes from LBs. Both teams used 4-3 over/under alignments for much of the game (5 men on the line of scrimmage including the 4 DL + 1 OLB). I didn't see a ton of elaborate, complex blitzing from either side, although there was some of that. For the Saints, this was a sharp departure from what they showed Tom Brady last week.
  • Bushrod had his hands full with Brian Orakpo all game long. Orakpo showed a variety of moves and was able to get pressure on Brees a few times. He's a very impressive player who reminds me of Alex Brown from the Bears (although he'll be better than Brown). Against Bushrod, he showed the quickness to get around the edge as well as the strength and leverage to bullrush effectively. Bushrod didn't receive a ton of extra help, so he deserves some credit for not giving up a sack.
  • Gregg Williams clearly felt that blitzing Campbell early and often was the way to go. While we were able to force incompletions on a few throws, Campbell also had quite a bit of success against the blitz. More times than not he found the open guy. Still, that big interception by Vilma was predicated by Troy Evans putting his helmet in Campbell's chest.
  • Speaking of Evans, I didn't see him out in coverage very much. I didn't count, but he was probably used on the majority of those 24 blitzes. I'm not sure what that implies, but that was one thing that really stuck out to me.
Here are the results of the Redskins' 13 blitzes:
  1. Completed screen pass to Pierre Thomas for 12 yards converting a 1st & 10. LB blitz off the edge on Bushrod's side.
  2. Completed WR screen pass to Robert Meachem for 10 yards converting a 1st & 10. LB blitz off the edge on Bushrod's side.
  3. Incomplete pass to Jeremy Shockey on 1st & 10. The Redskins put 5 men on the LOS with Orakpo on Bushod's left shoulder. Orakpo stunted inside creating a little pressure. Brees' pass was just out of reach and would've been a tough catch.
  4. Sack by Laron Landry. The Redskins used a slightly unorthodox alignment. The NT lined up on Goodwin's right shoulder with the 3-tech (Haynesworth) lined up on Jahri Evan's outside shoulder (and the LDE and RDE in their normal spots). So in other words, the D-Line was weighted towards the left side (or the right side of our O-Line). At the snap, Haynesworth stunted around the NT as the SS (Doughty) blitzed Haynesworth's gap. Nicks took Haynesworth and Bushrod took the RDE. Laron Landry shot between Nicks and Bushrod on a delayed blitz and no one accounted for him. I believe the RB's attention was on the right side of our line.
  5. Completed pass to Jeremy Shockey for 11 yards on a crossing pattern converting a 2nd & 3. Another simple LB blitz off the edge on Bushrod's side.
  6. Completed pass to Jeremy Shockey for 8 yards on 1st & 10. Another LB blitz off the edge on Bushrod's side.
  7. Completed pass to David Thomas for 21 yards converting a 3rd & 2. Yet another LB blitz off the edge on Bushrod's side.
  8. Completed pass to Devery Henderson for 14 yards converting a 1st & 10. Yet another LB blitz off the edge on Bushrod's side.
  9. Completed pass to Jeremy Shockey for 12 yards converting a 2nd & 5. Same LB edge-blitz but this time one of the DTs dropped off into zone coverage.
  10. Incomplete pass to Devery Henderson on 1st & 10. The SS (Doughty) blitzed between the DT & DE. Brees found Henderson open for a mid-range pass that was dropped by Henderson.
  11. Completed pass to Robert Meachem for 28 yards converting a 3rd & 11. Haynesworth stunted around Evans with the SS and MLB attacking the same gap. They created a good bit of pressure, but Brees side-stepped the rush and found Meachem for a big gain.
  12. Completed pass to Devery Henderson for 12 yards converting a 1st & 10. LB blitz off the edge.
  13. Completed pass to David Thomas for 4 yards on 2nd and 9. Another LB blitz off the edge.
In week 1 the Lions blitzed on 6% of Brees' 34 dropbacks.
In week 2 the Eagles blitzed on 18% of Brees' 34 dropbacks.
In week 3 the Bills blitzed on 14% of Brees' 29 dropbacks.
In week 4 the Jets blitzed on 59% of Brees' 32 dropbacks.
In week 5 the Giants blitzed on 27% of Brees' 30 dropbacks. <!-- / message --><!-- edit note -->
In week 6 the Dolphins blitzed on 45% of Brees' 40 dropbacks.
In week 7 the Falcons blitzed on 29% of Brees' 35 dropbacks.
In week 8 the Panthers blitzed on 6% of Brees' 36 dropbacks.
In week 9 the Rams blitzed on 15% of Brees' 27 dropbacks.
In week 10 the Bucs blitzed on 3% of Brees' 29 dropbacks.
In week 11 the Patriots blitzed on 33% of Brees' 24 dropbacks.
In week 12 the Redskins blitzed on 26% of Brees' 50 dropbacks.

Please delete this before any of the Saints opponent's coaching staffs see it...

Please delete this before any of the Saints opponent's coaching staffs see it...

lol Yes, because lord knows those teams don't have access to this info. :)

Good info, Drew is a beast against the blitz.

He's a beast regardless of what the defense does. After game 16, I'm going to compile a bunch of stats to see just how effective our passing offense has been when teams come after us.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom