Refs blew double pass (1 Viewer)

The officials are supposed to know better, the reason why the Rams declined is because the officials didn't cite the penalty correctly to them.

Are they required to? Is it the officiating crew’s responsibility to tell an NFL franchise what the yardage and down result of the penalty enforcement is? I legitimately don’t know the answer to that.

The Rams declined the penalty. If anything it was lack of awareness on LA’s part, not the officiating crew.
True, but the officials are employed to do a certain job. Which is to know the rules and officiate accurately......although they are more inaccurate than anything, but they should still know the rules more than any coach or team personnel

Are they? Is it the officiating crew’s responsibility to tell an NFL franchise what the yardage and down result of the penalty enforcement is? I legitimately don’t know the answer to that.
Yes it is, of course.

The officials are supposed to know better, the reason why the Rams declined is because the officials didn't cite the penalty correctly to them.
Maybe, but that is an assumption on your part.
I quoted the rule above
Well, to be fair you quoted part of the rule and that without citation. What you quoted does not include the part regarding loss of down.

Yes it is, of course.

Yes, officials explain in details to coaches alot

I’m just curious if this is something y’all know from years of watching football and thinking it’s to be expected, or if it’s legitimately part of an official’s job to explain penalty acceptance results to the coaching staff? I would be curious to anyone that has been in the profession at some level.

It’s not like Madden where yards and down are spelled out for you at the click of a button. Maybe they went to the sideline, McVay said, “nah we’ll take 4th” and instead of saying “hey bro you should accept this”, they just said “okay buddy”. I am not meaning to make excuses for the crew if they didn’t do their job. I just am curious to whether this is actually their job.

If not, and even if so really, we should be beating up McVay for not coming out of his seat for the 20 yards of field position. You’d think a guy with a magical football memory like they cite him having would remember a loss of down rule.

Ok, I read the NFL rules and it’s weird but the refs got the call right.

An illegal forward pass is only 5 yards from the spot and replay the down.

An illegal forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage is 5 yards and a loss of down.

So the Rams could have walked the Tampa Brady’s back 5 yards and given them another chance, or decline the penalty and work with 4th and 2.

When skimming over I couldve sworn this said "Refs blew double *hindquarters*" which is also true

Per the nfl rule book, he is correct about it not being a loss of down if it’s behind the LOS
Ok, I read the NFL rules and it’s weird but the refs got the call right.

An illegal forward pass is only 5 yards from the spot and replay the down.

An illegal forward pass beyond the line of scrimmage is 5 yards and a loss of down.

So the Rams could have walked the Tampa Brady’s back 5 yards and given them another chance, or decline the penalty and work with 4th and 2.
Nicely done guys. Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom