Reggie Bush on being drafted by Saints (1 Viewer)

I loved RB, he did anything they asked, run, catch, block…he surprised a lot of us with his selflessness….that said….I think Colston was the more important draft pick, once you strip away the hype…..
I am not talking about ability or what they did on the field. No question Colston did more. However, I am talking about the immediate impact his name was called on draft day. Did you see the excitement in people's face after almost a year away from their homes?

But was he national star? Everything I’ve gotten from Archie was that he was a local hero.
Not saying that’s a bad thing, but there is a difference.
He was second in the Heisman balloting. He was a national phenomenon, almost beating Alabama single-handedly on national television on a Saturday night. He was the best known player in college football his junior and senior year.

Also, Reggie holds the Saints records for longest TD catch, longest TD run, and longest PR TD in Saints playoff history.

I will never forget finding out the Texans were drafting Williams over Bush. I live in Houston and it was a foregone conclusion so it was SHOCKING here. I was on the computer playing some dumb game when the news hit and I got up and RAN outside yelling with joy. That first year was just electric.

I will never forget finding out the Texans were drafting Williams over Bush. I live in Houston and it was a foregone conclusion so it was SHOCKING here. I was on the computer playing some dumb game when the news hit and I got up and RAN outside yelling with joy. That first year was just electric.
That playoff victory against Philly was the 2nd best Saint victory playoff game for me.

I was sitting on my laptop in the FEMA trailer we were living in still and I had to run outside, too. I was just praying that they didn't Saints it up and select Vince Young. David Thomas made Vince look MUCH better than he actually was in that national championship game.

His replacement (Sproles) was arguably better…..also, if memory serves we didn’t trade him, we let him walk….
I actually think he wanted to walk as well...while being here would've prolonged his career his best statistical seasons were the 3 seasons immediately following his time in NO.

Reggie running out of the tunnel in the 2009 playoff game against the Cardinals holding that bat up is one of the most iconic images in Saints history. He was a special player at a special time that helped create the most special era for the Saints.

Attachments

• Reggie.png
    Reggie.png
    680.5 KB · Views: 1
I am not talking about ability or what they did on the field. No question Colston did more. However, I am talking about the immediate impact his name was called on draft day. Did you see the excitement in people's face after almost a year away from their homes?
Exactly, people across the US that weren’t even Saints fans bought his jersey. The Saints got more national coverage because of him. Before he ever took an NFL snap, he was already perceived to be an NFL superstar by people with no rooting interest in the Saints.

He may have spent only five seasons as a Saint, but I truly believe he’s probably one of the top 5 most important players in franchise history.
That ‘06 and ‘07 marketing campaign for the franchise had Bush on everything. Not Brees.
I remember going to like 5 or 6 stores with my family trying to get Bush jerseys cause everyone was sold out.
Let’s not get carried away….

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom