Reggie Bush vs. Barry Sanders. (The way I see it) (1 Viewer)

From the Bench?

Jeez

Follow along with me.If Drew Brees had been our QB over that last 5 years INSTEAD OF Brooks the saints could had been Super Bowl contenders.Jim Haslett and all.Even without the 'the matrix' Reggie Bush.

Funny, because I don't remember Perriman or Morton going to the Pro Bowl, ever

You can look it up if you want to, info is out there

You are quite right. Never said Morton was a Pro Bowler, just a very effective #3, which is what I think Devery will be.

But you are right. Moore was the only one to go to pro bowls. But IMHO Brett Perriman was robbed. 1488 yard Rec, and 9 TDs and no Pro Bowl.

I initially posted off of pure memory fo the team, yet and still, you can't argue with the fact that Detroits Passing Game was Lethal.

Perriman 1488 9 TD
Moore 1686 14 TD (that's 3000 yards between 2 WR)
Morton 590 8 TD's

Moore 1296 9 TDs
Perriman 1021 5 TDs
Morton 714 6 TDs

Those are official stats (seriously joking)

I knew that this would get misinterpreted.

Barry is Barry. Reggie is Reggie.

Never said Reggie is the equivalent of Barry.

If you are as big of a Sanders fan as I am- (108 personally collected football cards. One Autographed. Video taped every game that was ever aired of him Since Thanksgiving 91 {which sadly I lost most of during the storm. 7 feet of water on my Street. Still have the cards because they followed me to LSU and some VCR tapes}). Bought his autobiography the first day it came out. And was personally po'ed when Mario Bates had a better day then he did in the dome. (forgive me, I was young).

But as I was saying. If you are as big a Sanders fan as i am, there is no way you can argue that Barry pounded into the line. My mom loved him for that reason. She never, and still doesn't understand why someone would run into a pile full of people. This is the one attribute that Reggie and Barry share. They dont run into piles, they search for space.

So yes, I know all about Barry's first carry being an 18 yard gain against the Cardinals (Man I wish i had a smile to insert here)

But Barry did pound it into the line when there was nothing there. Sure he attempted his fair share of escapes, but with the Run and Shoot offense that the Lions ran the field was so spread out that quite often he found himself in a lot of matchups out in space where he could take advantage of his quickness and escapability.

It's not what he was known for, but I recall plenty of times where he ran into the line hoping for something to open up, but ending up with a couple yards of forward progress. One play in particular comes to mind when he ran intowhat seemed like a nine man cluster of Chicago Bears. He ran into the middle of the pile, but somehow squirted out the side and broke off a huge gain. That would not have happened if he had tried to outrun that defense to the sideline.

I am a huge Sanders fan. Even before he retired I felt that he was the best RB in NFL history, but wondered if he would be around long enough to leave nothing to question. He was never about the stats, sitting the bench early in a game once allowing Okoye to overtake him for the NFL rushing title and losing out on an incentive bonus so someone else could get some PT in a game that was all but decided.

Reggie will be fine, a lot of pressure on this kid, and he is a great kid, the team loves him and he is a team guy, he has great accelleration, like Michael Lewis, but is stronger, and taller, we will find the plays that work for him and he will learn defenses better, remember he has to learn 2 positions at the same time and it's not easy.

But Barry did pound it into the line when there was nothing there. Sure he attempted his fair share of escapes, but with the Run and Shoot offense that the Lions ran the field was so spread out that quite often he found himself in a lot of matchups out in space where he could take advantage of his quickness and escapability.

It's not what he was known for, but I recall plenty of times where he ran into the line hoping for something to open up, but ending up with a couple yards of forward progress. One play in particular comes to mind when he ran intowhat seemed like a nine man cluster of Chicago Bears. He ran into the middle of the pile, but somehow squirted out the side and broke off a huge gain. That would not have happened if he had tried to outrun that defense to the sideline.

I am a huge Sanders fan. Even before he retired I felt that he was the best RB in NFL history, but wondered if he would be around long enough to leave nothing to question. He was never about the stats, sitting the bench early in a game once allowing Okoye to overtake him for the NFL rushing title and losing out on an incentive bonus so someone else could get some PT in a game that was all but decided.

I read about that Okoye situation.

I now realize that I hate you (joking) because you are five years older than me.

I discovered Barry Thanksgiving Day vs. the Cowboys. No need to mention what play hooked me.

But I have collected a few highlight reels of him at Oklahoma State.

I would pay millions to have complete footage of his Junior year.

I hate you because you are actually old enough to remember him at OSU. When he was at OSU i was 7. Being 12 would have been a drastic difference at that time.

I dont care how BS stats you throw up there, You can simply tell by his current running, Reggie isnt and will never be a Barry Sanders...this post is a joke..

What is a joke is someone jumping to conclusions on a player's career within 8 games of playing part time.

I read about that Okoye situation.

I now realize that I hate you (joking) because you are five years older than me.

I discovered Barry Thanksgiving Day vs. the Cowboys. No need to mention what play hooked me.

But I have collected a few highlight reels of him at Oklahoma State.

I would pay millions to have complete footage of his Junior year.

I hate you because you are actually old enough to remember him at OSU. When he was at OSU i was 7. Being 12 would have been a drastic difference at that time.

Hahahaha... For the first time in my life I realized what watching history in the making was like. I didn't understand things like "caliber of talent", but I knew badarse when I saw it.

My favorite Barry story doesn't even a play on the field. It was the year he held out four games and people started calling him selfish. The day after he signed the contract he tithed to his church. I don't recall if it was 10%, but it was a chunk and no one ever questioned Barry's priorities ever again.

As far as I know, Barry's dad thinks that Jim Brown is the best RB in NFL history... (assuming that he's still alive)

Now I was never a featured RB. I played LBer and some DT/DE in school. I do know that getting back to the line of scrimmage is better than losing five yards. I think that timing might come quicker for Reggie if he was trying to just follow his blocks, even when they're not there instead of pulling a Barry Sanders. Barry had huge thighs that gave him unbelilevable power. Despite his diminutive stature he could drive the pile, carry some extra weight and fight his way out of someone's arm tackle because of those legs. Reggie doesn't have that physical ability and I thknk that's why you really can't compare the two. they are both capable of big plays, but so are a ton of other RB's that have different running styles.

Hey, what do I know? I never ran the ball. I just tried to punish the other guy who did.

I'd love to see Reggie running behind the Broncos or Falcons run-blocking scheme...

Last edited:
Jeez

Follow along with me.If Drew Brees had been our QB over that last 5 years INSTEAD OF Brooks the saints could had been Super Bowl contenders.Jim Haslett and all.Even without the 'the matrix' Reggie Bush.

Follow me. That was a crack at Haslett. Haslett probably would have benched Brees in favor of someone with better "Measurables", (strong arm, taller...).
AMC would be starting with Martin and Brees on the bench. We'd be 2-6 and talking about the "Heckuva game" that we just lost...

did Barry ever run through people? Sometimes I wonder if Bush lowered his shoulder (only OCCASIONALLY) if it would at least make tacklers thik twice about staying light on their feet waiting for him to cut. I dont remember Barry doing anything but faking people out (which is awesome).

Wasn't often seen on the field, but at 5'8" 205 I have that many reasons to believe that he could break the occasional tackle as needed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom