Reggie Bush vs. Barry Sanders. (The way I see it) (1 Viewer)

Can we stop comparing Reggie Bush to Barry Sanders? The comparison isn't valid on any level past them being fast running backs who wore numbers in the 20s. Barry Sanders played in a different era, against different prototypes and deviations, with a different set of standards, with a different style of head coach, with a different pedigree, with differing levels of talent at nearly every other position.

If I never read Bush and Sanders in the same sentence again, it would be LONG overdue.

OK, so Reggie isn't Barry Sanders. I think that's fairly obvious. This is interesting though...Check out Barry's performance in 1997 against Tampa Bay

Date Score Opp. No. Yds. Avg. Lg TD No.Yds. Avg. Lg TD *** Yds. Total TD's
9/7 L, 17-24 Tampa Bay 10 20 2.0 13 0 8 102 12.8 66t 1 122 1

Let me clear up those stats:

Date Score Opp.
9/7 L, 17-24 Tampa Bay

Rushing
No. Yds. Avg. Lg TD
10 20 2.0 13 0

Receiving
No.Yds. Avg. Lg TD ***
8 102 12.8 66t 1

OK, so Reggie isn't Barry Sanders. I think that's fairly obvious. This is interesting though...Check out Barry's performance in 1997 against Tampa Bay

Date Score Opp. No. Yds. Avg. Lg TD No.Yds. Avg. Lg TD *** Yds. Total TD's
9/7 L, 17-24 Tampa Bay 10 20 2.0 13 0 8 102 12.8 66t 1 122 1

In week 7 that same season, he gashed them for 215 yards and 3 TDs... what's your point? That Barry Sanders had a bad game once?

In week 7 that same season, he gashed them for 215 yards and 3 TDs... what's your point? That Barry Sanders had a bad game once?

My point is that even Barry, who many regarded as one of the best ever, had bad rushing performances during his career. And it wasn't just once, as I'm sure you are aware.

Here are a few others:

9/11 L, 3-10 @ Minnesota 12 16 1.3 8

9/25 W, 27-24 San Francisco 17 24 1.4 7

10/13 L, 21-37 @ Oakland 9 36 4.0 14

10/4 L, 27-31 @ Chicago 14 28 2.0 17
11/26 W, 19-16 (OT) Pittsburgh 20 33 1.7 21
12/14 L, 13-35 @ San Francisco 14 28 2.0 13

Here is one from his rookie year:

10/1 L, 3-23 Pittsburgh 5 1 0.2 4

Next game in '95: 18 for 157
Next 2 games in '96: 36 for 199
Followed 2 sub-100 performances in '97 with 14 straight 100-yard games, including 2 200 yard games en route to 2nd-highest single season output ever.
Next games in '98: 25 for 155, 18 for 103, 25 for 95.

Barry bounced back from bad games with good ones. 61, 5, 53, 22, 23, 25, 16, and -5 aren't nearly the same. And guess what? NFL DEFENSES RESPECTED BARRY SANDERS BACK THEN!!!11

Next game in '95: 18 for 157
Next 2 games in '96: 36 for 199
Followed 2 sub-100 performances in '97 with 14 straight 100-yard games, including 2 200 yard games en route to 2nd-highest single season output ever.
Next games in '98: 25 for 155, 18 for 103, 25 for 95.

Barry bounced back from bad games with good ones. 61, 5, 53, 22, 23, 25, 16, and -5 aren't nearly the same. And guess what? NFL DEFENSES RESPECTED BARRY SANDERS BACK THEN!!!11

Barry didn't have to share carries with anyone either. He also didn't have a quarterback the caliber of Drew Brees. When Barry had a bad game he knew he was going to get alot of shots to make it right.

Just sayin'....he was all the Lions had......the Saints have other options (thank goodness)

Please, don't shout.

ur sn is shouting at me :(

So everyone knew Barry was THE offense, everyone knew to gameplan around him, everyone knew that you'd give yourself a high chance to win if Barry Sanders was taken away from the game.

I'm gonna stop right there, and whoever wants to finish this one off can feel free to.

Just another tid bit.

I don't think that it was a coincidense that during Barry's time there, Detroit kept WR's in the Pro Bowl.

Herman Moore,
Brett Perriman,
Johnny Morton.

I remember one year Perriman and Moore had 1500 yards rec. each. And Morton was fresh out of USC as their 3rd reciever. He put up about 6oo to 700 and 7 TD's a year consistantly.

When defenses focus so much on one player, such as Sanders and Bush the recievers will shine!!!!!

Hopefully Horn, Colston, and Henderson continue their outstanding production.

And thank Goodness we have Sean Payton and Drew Brees

Instead of Scott Mitchell and Bobby Ross.

Funny, because I don't remember Perriman or Morton going to the Pro Bowl, ever

You can look it up if you want to, info is out there

I dont care how BS stats you throw up there, You can simply tell by his current running, Reggie isnt and will never be a Barry Sanders...this post is a joke..

I dont care how BS stats you throw up there, You can simply tell by his current running, Reggie isnt and will never be a Barry Sanders...this post is a joke..

No one said he will be a Barry Sanders. If you had read the initial post, a phase of Barry's game was compared to a phase of Reggie's game. Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing.

As for Johnnie Morton and Brett Perriman, no they never went to the Pro Bowl but they both did have 2 1000-yard seasons as teammates of Barry. Pro Bowl-calibur is more like it, so the point is still there somewhat.

This is back when the Lions had a very potent, efficient offense and no D... sounds a lot like a current midwest team that wears blue and white... the Saints are successful for different reasons than those Lions teams were... comparing the two is, at best, foolhardy... at worst it reeks of homerism...

That is a good point of view you bring up and i agree with it but you must also remember d-fense today are alot faster than in barry's days i also think barry was the best but i dont know if he could do it with the speed of todays -fense

He's only been retired for what...8 years. I don't think the speed of the game has changed that much since he retired. Other players today are putting up good numbers & IMO none of them compare to B Sanders. He could shake a tackle in a phone booth.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom