reggie does not need to be returning punts ever agian! (1 Viewer)

Some things would never change. I guess some think that Reggie was suppose to be in mid season form his 1st game back from a broken leg.:idunno:

I guess his 4 returns for td's in 3 years means nothing...

They are very nice, but losing the ball on muffs and fumbles outweighs that.

every time he returns a kick, i have to scream run forward Reggie@!e4$%#$

yes.

I've been hard on Bush post game and was ticked. He had no business playing and looked slow as hell.

BUT...He didn't muff it and it wasn't him being careless. It was just a great play to punch it out from behind.

He had the ball in one arm and not tight against his body. It was a great play by the defender. but he was holding the ball too casually.

Kris

he broke his dam leg fumbling a punt return, was he rusty then also?
moore and roby both do a much better job, please no more sideways punt returns for him. he seems to do realy well on the swing passes and holds onto the ball better, but he just cant seem to get the returns down.

To anyone calling for Reggie's head and saying that he should no longer return punts, there are several points you should realize before opening your mouth (or using your fingers in this case, as we are typing :9: ):

1) As many have pointed out, if you listened to Payton after the game, Reggie was never supposed to be used in that situation. Lance Moore was the primary punt returner in that situation, but was unable to do so after the first half. So are you telling me that Payton should have then foregone his normal primary punt returner and backup returner in that situation for a possible 3rd or 4th option? Payton isn't psychic, he can't predict the future.

2) Think back to when Reggie and Moore were hurt last season. We saw the likes of Porter, Sharper, and even Colston out there at one point IIRC, and they were pretty terrible. All they did was run East/West for no return, which is the main complaint against Reggie, who generally cuts upfield after doing so. While I would like to see him be more decisive and bring it straight up the field more, I realize that our other options do pretty much the same thing, except Bush is a threat to take it to the house at any point.

3) How did you like Porter on that return today? He did practically the same thing Reggie did, except no one poked the ball out from behind.

4) As Bonchie brought up several times, Bush was pretty slow out there. Normally, he'd have gained maybe 5 more yards on that and run out of bounds. Today, the kick team made a pretty good play when the opportunity arose.

5) Last but not least, I felt that the punt itself had a huge implication on that play. The biggest problem with Reggie's return came when he paused for a second or two after catching the ball to scan the field, thus letting the kick team get in position to make a play. Reggie was in place to receive the punt, but the Dallas kicker put a hell of a boot on the ball, driving it to where Reggie had to run backwards to catch it. Because of this, he didn't get to analyze the kick coverage at all while the ball was coming to him, as he was turned around. This led to him pausing way too long, so I'd say that the situation played a major part in the play.

To bring this all into one point, lay off the guy. He was clearly our best option to return the ball at that time, and definitely our biggest threat as a returner going forward. Don't let hindsight and injuries cloud your mind.

moore and roby both do a much better job, please no more sideways punt returns for him. he seems to do realy well on the swing passes and holds onto the ball better, but he just cant seem to get the returns down.

When has Roby taken a punt?

A lot of people made mistakes today why no one is starting a thread saying Graham should never run seam routes because he drops passes for INTs or Patrick Robinson should never cover Roy Williams because he gets beat. Its like some people on here are waiting for Reggie to mess up so they can compaint about it.

IMO

Moore pulled himself in game. Roby doesn't return punts. That's why Porter was returning punts. Payton said he only wanted to use Reggie when they were punting from the end zone.

All that said, Reggie needs to play better and he knows it and admitted it publicly. That's all you can do.

I kinda think we only should use him as a punt returner when we are desperate and need a spark. Not when we have control.

Yeah, you're right, Football Lady; after tonight, Benson, Loomis and Payton are no doubt overjoyed at shelling out that $8,000,000.

They're probably uncorking champagne as we speak.

LOL.

Considering they have a Super Bowl victory, I'd say pretty well.

Yeah, you're right, Football Lady; after tonight, Benson, Loomis and Payton are no doubt overjoyed at shelling out that $8,000,000.

They're probably uncorking champagne as we speak.

LOL.

I think the picture I posted in response to your earlier post adequately describes you. Thanks for confirming it for us!

1. I wish we had a Special Teams unit that could block. Everyone bags on Moore because he always fair catches and they rag on Bush because he only gets 3-5 yards usually, but have you actually seen what they have in front of them? Freaking nothing but the other teams gunners. Bush has the ability to randomly make something from nothing, Moore does not. Moore knows this hence why he fair catches, and Bush also knows this, hence why he often takes his chances. However, it seems that regardless of who is returning kicks, they aren't doing much... and looking back, it's not the returners fault the other teams coverage unit 99% of the time whips ours. We need a new Special Teams coach. When our Special Teams unit does do a remotely decent job of slowing down the other teams coverage, we see big returns. For some reason I don't think its a coincidence that big returns go hand in hand with blocking the other teams coverage...

2. Reggie Bush still holds the ball like a loaf of bread. This has nothing to do with rust, he's done it his whole career and will continue to do so until someone beats him over the head about ball security when running into traffic or slowing down on a return. It is a bad habit he has and one he continues to work on fixing. It seems to rear its head most often when he is trying way too hard to be the game breaker and not letting things come to him. Other teams know Bush has ball security issues and it is a very normal and common sight to see them go for the strip instead of the tackle on Bush. Bush is a great player, but he does have ball security problems.

Thats all I got to say...

edit: I lied, forgot to say, if you think Reggie isn't a wonderful asset to the team, you're an idiot. Ok now I have nothing left to say.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom