Reggie, Reggie available again (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
askmike.jpg

Reggie, Reggie available again

By Mike Detillier

It seems just like yesterday that USC halfback Reggie Bush was drafted by the New Orleans Saints.

Bush was considered in the same category as O.J. Simpson, Bo Jackson, Herschel Walker, Earl Campbell, Marcus Allen, Barry Sanders and Billy Sims coming out of college.

The fleet-footed halfback was a dominant college player, and there is no doubt that Bush played a major factor in getting the Saints to the 2006 NFC championship game. Also, he was a huge factor in helping the Saints win Super Bowl XLIV.

Bush was released by the Detroit Lions last week, and there was an initial outcry to bring him back to New Orleans.

With Mark Ingram scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent, some believe Bush would again be a great fit for the Saints. I agree he would he would fit back with the Saints, but it would also be measured on how much money he wants. Bush still believes he is a top player and wants to be paid like one.

I don't think that will happen with any NFL team. I think that it is a major longshot he re-signs with the Saints. Bush was a good pro player, but he was never the dominant runner we saw in college.

Bush is still a good receiver coming out of the backfield and a good edge rusher, but injuries and age have started to take a toll on him as a player.

Right now, Ingram is more valuable to the Saints than to any other team based on what they gave up to get him. To be honest, I think Ingram has more gas left in his football tank as a player.

If the Saints make a money play for any running back, it will not be Ingram, but again it will all be about money.

What is interesting is a comparison of the career statistics of Deuce McAllister, the greatest running back ever for the Saints, to the career statistics of Reggie Bush. McAllister rushed for 6,096 yards on 1,429 carries and scored 49 rushing touchdowns. He also caught 234 passes for 1,720 yards and five scores. Bush during his pro career with the Saints, Dolphins and Lions has rushed for 5,465 yards on 1,266 carries and scored 35 touchdowns. And he has caught 466 passes for 3,489 yards and 18 scores.

Bush is still a good niche player in the NFL, but he will quickly find out that there will not be an NFL team that will continue to pay him as a star player. It is the reality world of the NFL.

If The Price Is Right, Look At Mathias

It's the time of year teams when make moves to cut down to the designated salary cap limit, and one transaction caught my eye.

If I was with the Saints, I would have an interest in former New York Giants hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka.

The 6-foot-5, 265 pounder is coming off of knee surgery and was due $4.825 million in salary and bonuses in 2015, if he had played for the Giants. His release, if healthy, would draw my interest.

In 2013, Mathias had six sacks and followed it up with 2 ½ sacks and two tackles for losses in 11 games last season.

Mathias was a good player for the Giants, not a dominant one, but he drew high praise for his work ethic, attention to detail and gave his all on each snap. He has excellent size, a huge wingspan to try to throw over and still has some "snap" in his pass rush moves to the quarterback.

Mathias is not the long term answer as a hybrid pass rusher at defensive end/outside linebacker, but at the right price, he would seem to be a nice "rent" player in the NFL.

Rushers, and guys with a few skins on the wall, are a premium in the NFL, and while Mathias will turn 32 on March 8, I would certainly take a long look and see what it would cost to bring him in on a short term deal.

Smith Joins DB-U

LSU again continues to be stop for top prep cornerbacks.

Just weeks after landing possibly the best threesome of freshman cornerbacks at one time in school history in Xavier Lewis, Donte Jackson and Kevin Toliver, LSU landed Saivion Smith from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. He is the player most prep analysts feel is the top prep cornerback for 2016.

The 6-foot-0 ¾, 175 pounder selected LSU over Florida State, Florida, Texas and Clemson.

It just continues to roll for LSU at cornerback. Again, the Tigers hit the state of Florida for that top-ranked player like they did with Patrick Peterson and Kevin Toliver. While the ability to attract the top cornerbacks is evident, what also sticks out is that LSU can reach out across the country for the best players.

While other teams have come in to grab away players from the state of Louisiana, LSU under Les Miles has also been able to grab the top players from outside the state, especially in Texas, Florida and Mississippi.

LSU has seven early commitments for the Class of 2016 and three of those are players out of state. Along with Smith, the Tigers have commitments from quarterback Feleipe Franks from Wakulla County High in Florida and wide receiver Dee Anderson from West Mesquite High in Texas.

There are no recruiting borders anymore, and if you want to continue to be a top program, you have to go out and get the best recruits from other states.

SEC Paying To Play

The SEC has dominated play in college football over the past 10 years and have spent quite a bit to accomplish that.

The cost of recruiting players have raised eyebrows all across the academic world, but the reality is that big time college sports contribute greatly to the money-coffers of schools, particular the SEC.

In a recent study, it was interesting to see what SEC schools spent the most money on recruiting from 2008-13.

Here are the figures:

1. Tennessee — $1.29 million

2. Auburn — $950,316

3. Alabama — $903,217

4. Arkansas — $652,459

5. Georgia — $626,139

6. Florida — $557,360

7. Ole Miss — $438,486

8. LSU — $428,305

9. Missouri — $424,944*

10. Kentucky — $380,210

11. Mississippi State — $352,047

12. Texas A&M — $287,111*

13. South Carolina — $263,094

Vanderbilt is exempt from disclosing money totals since as a private school.

* Missouri and Texas A&M did not join the SEC until 2012, the spending above reflects all five years.

Follow Mike on Twitter at @MikeDetillier

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom