Reggie vs. Mario: Early returns favor Bush (1 Viewer)

oldJC.SAINTS

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2006-10-28-williams-vs-bush_x.htm

The Houston Texans set themselves up for this second-guessing back in April and six months later, the questions have only intensified.

Critics continue to pick apart the NFL's newest franchise and its most-recent No. 1 overall draft selection while the city of New Orleans and its Saints appear to be the greatest benefactors.

The Texans raised eyebrows throughout the sports world when they passed on Reggie Bush, the reigning Heisman Trophy winner from Southern California, to select Mario Williams, a third-team All-American void of household name status.

Many years later which player had the better career in y’all’s opinion?

I’ll say Reggie. He never quite reached his peak here imo, injures and such. He was still electric and one heck of a decoy. Also went on to be pretty successful elsewhere later in his career.

robin-williams-what-year-is-it-gif.gif

Reggie was so important to the franchise. He was drafted before the Saints signed Brees I think. He was the one that brought the hype in 06 from the 3-13 Katrina Season.
Mario Williams couldn’t do that.

Still an absolute joke that Vince Young was named rookie of the year. It was Colston by any measure that year. The media dropped him from their radar because he missed two games for an injury. Despite missing those two games, he was still easily the best of the 2006 class that year.

And definitely Reggie over Mario. Neither had the HOF career that people were expecting, but both played very well for several years. Reggie had the edge between the two, though.

Still an absolute joke that Vince Young was named rookie of the year. It was Colston by any measure that year. The media dropped him from their radar because he missed two games for an injury. Despite missing those two games, he was still easily the best of the 2006 class that year.

And definitely Reggie over Mario. Neither had the HOF career that people were expecting, but both played very well for several years. Reggie had the edge between the two, though.
Agreed on Colston. Also a shame that he never made a pro bowl imo.

I’m pretty sure that no team with Mario Williams on it ever made the playoffs.

Well, Williams did make it once in his final season with the Dolphins, but you make a good point. Reggie made several, pivotal plays in the playoffs and got a ring, while Mario has 0 playoff wins.

Agreed on Colston. Also a shame that he never made a pro bowl imo.

Happy for Thomas, sad for Colston.

Reggie. I think it's similar to the Burrow Young thing this year. Young was the safe pick and the team could have accumulated picks but what Joe will mean to the city can't be measures. Reg brought a spark when we needed it.

The top 10 of that 2006 draft was supposed to be one of the best ever. One star after another. Sure didn’t turn out that way.

Reggie was so important to the franchise. He was drafted before the Saints signed Brees I think. He was the one that brought the hype in 06 from the 3-13 Katrina Season.
Mario Williams couldn’t do that.
Reggie was a complete professional, he never once made excuses or pointed a finger. In fact, he accepted blame when the blame shouldn't be on him. We all had huge hopes for him, but the one with the biggest hopes was Reggie himself.

I can remember the dome ringing with the cries of "Reggie! Reggie, Reggie!"

Yeah, I'll take Reggie over Mario.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom