Reggie's best position (1 Viewer)

duckjr78

Look out, its FrankenBaby
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel that Reggie Bush's best position in the NFL is not at running back, but at wide receiver? I really see him as a better-handed, harder-to-catch version of Wes Welker. He would get hit fewer times by guys twice his size, be available for kickoff and punt return duties, and command a smaller salary as a wideout. Defenses know to key in on him when he is in the backfield and he essentially has to look at all 11 guys in his way. I think he proved last year that his vision is not up to the NFL level. As a wideout, specifically a slot guy, he would only have to concern himself with mainly LB's and safteys and the other team's nickel corner (over whom he has huge skill advantages). There actually are some really good parallels between the Saint's offense and the Patriot's. Pass first, run second, protect the QB, big tall wideout on one side, speed guy on the other, accurate QB, etc. I personally was pleased with the running game the Saints displayed late in the year with RB's who would hit the hole instead of "chasing ghosts." We all saw Reggie try to juke someone who was not there before hitting the line of scrimmage only to be tackled for a short gain (or loss). Steck and Pierre both hit the hole with authority the final games of the year, and ripped off quite a few 8+ yard gains. Just want to see if I am in the minority or if anyone has already thought of this one.

I think we should use him as a utility guy. KR, PR, some WR, and some RB. give him 6-12 carries/gm and get the ball to him in the open field as much as possible and he will shine.

give him 6-12 carries/gm.

Defenses will know to key on him every play he is in the backfield. If you give him 6 carries, you have to not use him 6 times in the backfield to keep the defense honest. Now he is back there 12 times a game. Back to being a running back if you ask me. Keep him in the slot at all times.

lets wait and see about 2-3 years down the line. remember this kid is only 22 years old, which is younger than alot of rookies.we should use him at kr,pr,rb and wr. he has out of this world talent and all we need to do is get him open holes and let him work his magic in space.

Everyone says "open space" when refering to Reggie. Where is there more open space? In the backfield or running crossing route over the middle of the field.

or running a flare out of the backfield...leaves him against a linebacker. which is why 6-12ish carries a game would be good. keep him running dumpoff routes, so the defense doesn't key in on him rushing every play. mix it up, be smart with it.

Does anyone else feel that Reggie Bush's best position in the NFL is not at running back, but at wide receiver?
Right now, maybe. But he will become a better running back and one of the best in the next few years.

He would get hit fewer times by guys twice his size, be available for kickoff and punt return duties, and command a smaller salary as a wideout.
I agree that he should be used on special teams as a regular return man at least until he eventually becomes our featured back. As long as he's splitting carries with Deuce, he should be returning punts and kicks IMO. And as far as the salary thing goes, do you really think Reggie will go for that? I don't think so. He was drafted as a superstar running back. He will become a superstar running back. He will continue to get paid as a superstar running back.
I think he proved last year that his vision is not up to the NFL level.
Even if you see the hole, it's hard to cut to it with a messed up knee.
I personally was pleased with the running game the Saints displayed late in the year with RB's who would hit the hole instead of "chasing ghosts." We all saw Reggie try to juke someone who was not there before hitting the line of scrimmage only to be tackled for a short gain (or loss). Steck and Pierre both hit the hole with authority the final games of the year, and ripped off quite a few 8+ yard gains. Just want to see if I am in the minority or if anyone has already thought of this one.
Pierre Thomas and Aaron Stecker had success running the ball because of the way our offensive line blocks. This is something that the coaches have to realize. Our running blocking schemes our not made for a cutback runner (Reggie). They are made for downhill runners like Thomas and Stecker. If Reggie Bush played for the Colts he would have amazing numbers because they run stretch plays which allows the running back to keep stretching the play to the sideline until he finds a hole to cut back into.

Ah, give him some roids, get him to bulk up by 15 lbs. If he gets caught, we lose him for 4 games, like Merriman, and he's a solid 220 lbs for years. :hihi:

He doesn't play for the Colts, he plays for the Saints. And the Saints want to win now. Teams this day and age have about five years to make their run before free agency and age catch up with them (Patriots notwithstanding). And the salary thing is way in the future. If Reggie played only WR, his career would last longer and he would ultimatly make more money.

Oh and another thing. How about we start throwing our screen passes to Reggie instead of the slower Stecker and Deuce. That would give him a lot of space and blockers in front of him. Instead we try to outsmart the opponents. Oh it's Deuce on the field. They would never throw the screen to him. That's Sean Payton's thinking. Stop with the BS. Use Reggie and throw him a screen. You did it against Dallas two years ago and he scored. You basically did it against Chicago in the Championship game and he scored. Instead we throw passes in the flat and he gets lit up because there's always a defender looking for him.

He doesn't play for the Colts, he plays for the Saints. And the Saints want to win now. Teams this day and age have about five years to make their run before free agency and age catch up with them (Patriots notwithstanding). And the salary thing is way in the future. If Reggie played only WR, his career would last longer and he would ultimatly make more money.
He was great at USC because he played mostly running back. Just give him time. Two years (with the latter being injury plagued) is not sufficient time to give up on him. You can't look at Adrian Peterson's success and say since Reggie doesn't have that he should just play wide receiver. Peterson fits the Vikings running scheme perfectly. And they have better run blockers. And yes, thank you for reminding me that Reggie plays for the Saints but I was just making a point that we need to change our running scheme for him to match the Colts'. Not trade him there and let him shine.

I think he will become a better RB but think about Reggie his rookie year he was best when we used him as a slash PR WR screen guy.

I know you don't want to trade him to the Colts. But you have to put your players in the best position to make plays. Bush's best position to do that is WR. By the way, at USC he averaged 15 carries a game his junior year. Not exactly a #1 featured back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom