Reggie's best position (1 Viewer)

I think he will become a better RB but think about Reggie his rookie year he was best when we used him as a slash PR WR screen guy.

I couldn't agree more. The sooner we get away from Reggie being our #2 RB and into the slash role, the better. He was an absolute terror for defenses the last 8 games + playoffs his rookie year.

We need to set up a more sophisticated blocking scheme with our WRs. We should utilize Reggie in the passing game line NE uses Wes Welker. Tack on 10-15 carries per game.

Canuck, that was my original point. He is a Wes Welker type player, not Brian Westbrook. Also, Socbe, I'm not giving up on him. Were the Red Sox giving up on Babe Ruth as a pitcher (he was really good btw) when they moved him to the outfield? No, just putting him in a more advatageous place for the team. Reggie would be more advantageous to the team as a WR. We've already established that his style of running doesn't fit our system and Deuce/Stecker/Thomas's style does.

Yeah, but in order for him to play like Welker, we need our other WRs to block like the Patriots' WRs. He's a very skilled RB; it's his natural position. He just hasn't acclimated to the NFL fully, yet. Give him time, he'll come around. It's always easier for power backs to adjust early, because they play a simple game, but for guys like Reggie, it takes time.

Canuck, that was my original point. He is a Wes Welker type player, not Brian Westbrook.

It took Brian Westbrook a few years to become Brian Westbrook. Just give Reggie some time.

How much time? Of all our running backs, save Mike Karney, Reggie had the worst YPC average. Would you rather have him as a WR now while Brees is in his prime or as a really good running back in 4 years while we are going through a QB change. I'd rather have him dominating on the field now.

westbrook does a lot of catching. i think we need a wrecking ball like Marion barber who i think is the best Rb in the NFL. i think we could have that in P.Thomas. thomas runs through people and fights for yards can he last 16+ games who knows.

I think like others use reggie 6-7 touches and use him as a wr and Kr/Pr. let him be a defensive coord nightmare. not just shutdown the run and now reggie is shutdown. let reggie jam safetys and cb's or create mismatches.

How much time? Of all our running backs, save Mike Karney, Reggie had the worst YPC average.

He was also the RB to play with the most messed up knee.

I was ticked off about him, too, but when news of the injury surfaced and it was told how long he had had it....it just made sense. Let's just see how he does when healthy.

Superfan, you get what I'm saying. PT could be a lot like Barber or Maurice Jones-Drew. We may never know if we keep him behind three other guys on the depth chart. And I know Reggie's knee was messed up. Six of the Saints' seven wins were with a healthy starting running back and all but two losses (the last two) the starter was injured. I know it is not a coincidence. But, messed up knees usually lead to poor cutting ability, Reggie refused to run straight and only wanted to cut and juke. Why?

I'm just tired of nearly all his catches coming behind the line of scrimmage or five yards upfield. Let's send him deep more and I'm all for it. But, he should definetly be used as a RB too.

Another pointless "use Reggie at wide receiver thread"....these always result in a bunch of lame debate on how to ruin Reggie by bouncing him from position to position, and in the end it doesn't really matter, because he IS a running back, and was drafted as a running back and there aer no "actual" talks or discussions in the Saints Front Office about making such a move, there to busy trying to improve him at the position he was drafted at hey there's an idea, lets try and get him better at running back before talking about a position change......and what exactly makes him a better receiver than runner anyway, I haven't seen him running any receiver routes, or catching any deep balls, or anything....where's the film that shows he has better skills as an NFL Wide receiver than an NFL Running back?

Last edited:
Keep Reggie at RB. That is his position. Our offense is complex and dynamic enough to utilize all of his talents out of the backfield. You can line him up at WR every now and again each game to scare the bejeezus out of the defense but for the most part his game is developed from the RB position.

There is no rule that you cannot run a route out of the backfield. That seems to be what most people want out of Reggie, but it would not require changing his position; that is a simple expansion of his role.

Another pointless "use reggie at widereciever thread"....these always result in a bunch of ame debate on how to ruin Reggie by boucing him from position to position, and in the end it doesnt really matter, because he IS a runningback, and was drafted as a runningback and there aer no "actual" talks or discussions in the Saints Front Office about making such a move, there to busy trying to improve him at the position he was drafted at (hey theres an idea, lets try and get him better at runninback before talking about a position change......and what exactly makes him a better reciever than runner anyway, I havent seen him running any reciever routes, or catching any deep balls, or anything....were's the film that show's he has better skills as an NFL Widereciever than an NFL Runningback?

Hey Meily,
If he "IS" a running back, how come he is our worst one? I'm saying his skill set is more Wes Welker. Short crossing and in and out routes. A first down machine. Which last I checked is what a "rythme" offense needs. Feel free to run him up the gut and have DT's land on his ankles and knees. Also, how long do you want to wait for him to hit his peak? Pierre Thomas became the first Saint running back EVER to rush and receive for 100 yards in the same game. But we should sit him because Reggie was great in college and because we drafted him as a running back. We also drafted him as a WR/KR/PR but he couldn't do those things because he was to busy playing running back. BTW what makes this thread useless? It is for Saints fans to share opinions which is what we are doing.

Yeah, but in order for him to play like Welker, we need our other WRs to block like the Patriots' WRs. He's a very skilled RB; it's his natural position. He just hasn't acclimated to the NFL fully, yet. Give him time, he'll come around. It's always easier for power backs to adjust early, because they play a simple game, but for guys like Reggie, it takes time.

In order for him to be like Welker, he has to catch the ball fellas. Personally, I think he'd be better suited for WR, but he has a problem catching the ball. He and Devery were #1 & 2 in the NFL for dropped passes this year. And both missed, or didn't play in at least 4 games!! WOW

I think if he comes back with more lower body strength he will be fine, but we need to open up the play book for him as a wr.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom